• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Layoff Success

jbmagic21

I am still relitavely new to the game, and with work and family I can only play on the weekends. I have played every weekend since beginning on Labor Day. I took a weekend off, and played for the first time in two weeks this past one. I shot the best round I ever have. I beat my previous best score by 7 shots. I played at the same course I normally do. I also noticed that I really didn't try to wing it, and it felt much smoother. Has not playing for two weeks helped my game? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yep, I did the same thing. It took me a little while to get my distance back, but, my body felt so much better! It was just minor stuff...small neck something, a little lower back something..just small ailments that seemed to nag at me before I took a break! Body feels 75% better!

I've always believed that time away from anything you do regularly is a good thing. You tend to appreciate it that much more when you get back to it. Even just a week off of DG could be enough to refresh your body and spirit and translate into better play. I'm jonesing myself as I haven't had time to do anything but putt in the back yard to the last two weeks.

I think there are times when we get some bad muscle memory developed, which leads to bad throwing mechanics. Staying away for a couple weeks can sometimes help us forget how to do things wrong. There's also that little something about absence making the heart grow fonder.

Yep, I've had the great round after a hiatus too. Of course, I've also had awful ones.

Truthfully, I tend to shoot better when I want to be on the course. If there's a little something bugging me, some nagging pain in my shoulder, after work exhaustion or stress, the wind being just a little too blustery, its going to hurt my game.

I had a baby and didn't play for almost 2 months. My first round back was terrible, but my next round was awesome, one of my best ever. I just needed a little warm-up. Amazingly my putting was great; I was hitting 50 footers consistently.

I play everyday......and my game starts to go down sometimes. If I actually force myself to take a couple days off (really hard to do)...I come out and CRUSH it ususally.

that's the worst, having awful rounds after you haven't played in awhile. it's so frustrating

That's where I am right now. It is annoying!

I'm pretty sure it's 2 things combined.. Relaxation, and muscle memory. When you're playing a bunch you wear yourself out and try to hard, but when you come back from a long break you are fresh, but your body still knows what it needs to do.. So your body does it more than your muscle and brain working too much.

I play everyday......and my game starts to go down sometimes. If I actually force myself to take a couple days off (really hard to do)...I come out and CRUSH it ususally.

me too. The last time this happened, I sent my driver flying past a basket that I normally can't reach. My buddy just looked at me and said, "Where did THAT come from?" Having had this happen before I just said, "This happens every time I take a week off, it'll pass *sigh*" ... lol ... and it did :(

me too. The last time this happened, I sent my driver flying past a basket that I normally can't reach. My buddy just looked at me and said, "Where did THAT come from?" Having had this happen before I just said, "This happens every time I take a week off, it'll pass *sigh*" ... lol ... and it did :(

Yup...same stuff happens to me. I wish I could force myself to take days off more often because when my body is all rested I can just feel it and it feels right. I get in the zone and just start destroying.

Latest posts