• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LED + Battery + switch question

I dont want the light to be on the entire time its tapped to the disc. that means they would be on before getting in the car and until I take them off when I get back. 3+ hours. Or if I could implement the switch I could just turn them on before I throw them and then off when I pick them up.

I want the switch.

All I need to know is "will the diagram I have work if I pieced it all together?"

I don't understand, why wouldn't you stick the LED on the battery and tape it to the back of the disc once you get to the course? Also an LED uses next to nothing when it comes to power so even if it was on 3+ hours that watch battery it's using is still gonna last a long time before it needs to get replaced. Seems like adding a switch is only making more parts that could malfunction when being used, the K.I.S.S. method seems to apply in this case.

One thing that amazes me is that I can't convince certain people to give it a try because they seem to think that they will lose their discs at night. Funny truth, is that you'll lose your discs easier in the bright daylight especially with all the leaves (or snow) on the ground. LED lit discs will shine through 2" of leaves or more...try that with your disc in the daytime. Ever spot all the lies from your ENTIRE group from the tee pad in the day...not a problem at night even when they are 350'+ away.
QFT

LED's are the best when you shank a drive into the schule. Just look for the glowing light and grab! Now they just need to make spiders with built in LED's so I don't run into 50 of them trying to get my disc!! :p

I want the switch.

All I need to know is "will the diagram I have work if I pieced it all together?"

Instead of continuing to post why this is more work than good, i'll offer some other advice (i'm an EET).

It will work. you may need to play with the pin-outs of the switch. i suggest soldering the LED pin straight to the switch, don't use any wire. Also, don't solder anything to the battery. You'll damage the battery if your solder iron is too hot, especially with small batteries like these. Just use electrical tape to secure the wires to the battery. That'll make replacing the battery easier in the future.

To maximize battery life, you can add a resistor in series with the switch. You'll need to know the specs of the LED's. then use the formula here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_circuit

Lastly, stick with the color Red and 5mm size. The wavelength of Red light is easy on the eyes and doesn't dilate your pupils. The people you play with will thank you.

Here's a link to a bag of 100 Red LED's for $1.65 and $7.00 shipping. I got three bags (300 LEDs) for my club for $12.
http://www.web-tronics.com/bagolspec100.html

I forgot to mention this...I stopped using 5mm LEDs as they make for a really large bulge after they're wrapped around a battery. You can buy 3mm LEDS for the same price, and they're just as bright. They fit perfectly on a CR-2025 battery. You can push them on all the way until the bulb hits the battery without bowing the leads out. CR-2032 batteries will bow the leads out and sometimes cause a short due to the VERY THIN gap that separates the + and - of these types of button cells.

My Friday night glow case below. The magnets keep the batteries separated which is very important. It takes me and my girlfriend about 3 minutes to tape these onto our discs as they're ready to go. When the batteries become too dim (after 20+ hours) I pull the LED out and get a fresh battery. The garage sale stickers can be found at any dollar store ($1 per 1000) My gosh it is pennies to do 5 discs every week.

Note: These really are bright, but the camera flash washed out the LED.

Attachments

• Picture 1919.jpg
    Picture 1919.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture 1920.jpg
    Picture 1920.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 1921.jpg
    Picture 1921.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 63
The garage sale stickers can be found at any dollar store ($1 per 1000) My gosh it is pennies to do 5 discs every week.
Dude, the stickers are BRILLIANT!! We're a lot more disorganized, but usually have our batteries wrapped with electrical tape completely so we can throw them in the bag and not worry about them making positive contact with one another. Might have to steal the sticker idea. :hfive:

As it has already been pointed out...red is the best for many reasons. Red is easiest on your eyes and it also drains batteries the least. Believe it or not different colors require higher voltages. I read that blue, the hardest on a battery, messes with your sleep patterns.

Yellow, orange, and pink are easy on the battery as well. Sometimes a new battery will make the LED way too bright. In that case I will also place one of the garage sale stickers over the taped on LED in such a way that it eliminates or diffuses the "beam effect" ...your playing partners will thank you for that.

It should be noted that those garage sale stickers will not come off of the battery once they are in place, thus you CAN NOT reinsert an LED once that sticker is in place on the battery. Thus the coffee stirrer disconnects

Have fun with glow everyone...it really is a blast...just be careful and don't lose an eye walking in the woods etc. I play at the Grange (Blockhouse) and there are not that many obstacles. In any case, I always tell first timers to just take small slow steps to avoid twisting ankles etc....:doh:

Latest posts