• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefty Form From Scratch

KT13

Ive been struggling with my backhand form and have seriously considered starting a lefty backhand specifically for accuracy. I messed around a little bit with it the other day and had many throws over 250 without any form work or even ever throwing lefty.

What is the best way to start new form completely from scratch?

More specifically, I have no muscle memory and thought that if there is an ideal way to put everything together, there is probably an efficient and smart way to start and put it all together.

Ill get a video of me doing that tomorrow to make sure im doing it correctly, thanks

Best advice I can give as a lefty is to develop a good forehand, which I understand defeats the purpose of your entire thread here. Or you could get really really really good like Nathan Queen. I'd argue taking the Chris Clemons path is a lot easier

Most courses are designed for RHBH hyzers, so LHFH gets you 95% of the way there or near enough to make no difference. And then you can cheating lefty your way to victory on those RHBH turnover holes

I wanna say Innova ran some lefty only discs a couple years back in early April. Pretty sure they were made in Australia or something crazy

I get your thoughts. Due to shoulder issues I played offhand for a few months.

I wanted to simplify movement as much as practical, particularly ant fine control. Focus on the major elements. Definitely limited the effort to standstill.

I felt I could develop a decent drive and mid game at about 80% of my dominant arm capability. Probably close the gap over extended time.

Fine motor control such as putting seemed like it would take a lot more time to even get okay at relative to my dominant arm.

BUT, everyone is different in this. Some people have almost no ability to train their non-dominant arm and some are ambidextrous, but even that can be limited.

There's a Euro DG player that throws RHBH and LHFH (I think—it may be opposite that ). Regardless, it seems really odd.

Bottom line is only you can resolve the amount of effort required to develop your offhand.

Best advice I can give as a lefty is to develop a good forehand, which I understand defeats the purpose of your entire thread here. Or you could get really really really good like Nathan Queen. I'd argue taking the Chris Clemons path is a lot easier

Most courses are designed for RHBH hyzers, so LHFH gets you 95% of the way there or near enough to make no difference. And then you can cheating lefty your way to victory on those RHBH turnover holes

I wanna say Innova ran some lefty only discs a couple years back in early April. Pretty sure they were made in Australia or something crazy
Thats a good point. I just wanted to have LHBH as an option for driving and added control. But my RHBH is starting to really come together getting about 400 feet of distance with decent to good control.

I will definitely be working on the LHBH during the offseason because it could be an advantage to have. Plus Im young and are able to do so, and thats also the person I am. Looking to improve anyway that is beneficial

I get your thoughts. Due to shoulder issues I played offhand for a few months.

I wanted to simplify movement as much as practical, particularly ant fine control. Focus on the major elements. Definitely limited the effort to standstill.

I felt I could develop a decent drive and mid game at about 80% of my dominant arm capability. Probably close the gap over extended time.

Fine motor control such as putting seemed like it would take a lot more time to even get okay at relative to my dominant arm.

BUT, everyone is different in this. Some people have almost no ability to train their non-dominant arm and some are ambidextrous, but even that can be limited.

There's a Euro DG player that throws RHBH and LHFH (I think—it may be opposite that ). Regardless, it seems really odd.

Bottom line is only you can resolve the amount of effort required to develop your offhand.
I dont think I will be practicing putting with my left hand, as my right hand putting is really good. Its the driving/ tee shots, upshots, and distance control that kill me every single round.

And I am not sure really where to start with the LHBH. My RHBH is starting to come together somewhat, but obviously I want it to be a lot better and maybe having LHBH as an option would be amazing to extra distance that my RHFH cant get.

Thats a good point. I just wanted to have LHBH as an option for driving and added control. But my RHBH is starting to really come together getting about 400 feet of distance with decent to good control.

I will definitely be working on the LHBH during the offseason because it could be an advantage to have. Plus Im young and are able to do so, and thats also the person I am. Looking to improve anyway that is beneficial
Sorry I missed the part where you were working on LHBH to complement your RHBH. But yes you are correct having a good backhand either side would be a big advantage.

I liked this video when I was working on my LHBH.

I used her video almost three years ago when I started form building Standstill LHBH. I don't throw like her, but the principles were solid along with a few other videos. The last time I saw it would have been at least 2 1/2 years ago when I moved onto the one step.

Latest posts