• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

looking to add 50-75ft

jbjbaseball11

I'm predominantly rhbh and throw a flick when needed. I've been playing for about 10 months but have hit a plateau at around 350 average. I played college baseball which i think has help me with the basics because i throw a baseball right handed but hit lefty so throwing a disc rhbh is a natural motion, but there is something missing in my drive. When i throw it feels good but the disc will fly properly (according to flight numbers) but then just seems to lose momentum too quickly so i never get that late forward penetration. I have thrown a few throws well over 400 but not consistently like i feel i need to be truly competitive at higher levels. In the link each throw went around 300'and i threw 169-173 trespasses...please don't hold back i need honest feedback...thanks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H29RRpm-TVA&app=desktop

Like your pivot....
You guys think his stance is a bit wide just before the hit (I do this too I am afraid)?

Hello OAT! You are trying to throw way too hard and moving way too fast. Your arm/disc swings down from over top the shoulder and finishes at your butt. It should remain level to the shoulder plane from start to finish. You also "reachback" way too early to really load your core. Watch the pros below, they turn into the "reachback" way later than you, not hitting max reachback until the front foot lands. The arm/disc start much lower and finish much higher. Start slow and smooth so you can really accelerate faster at the very end through the finish.

Check this link:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108094

I know you want to crush it...but really really slow down. Find the timing/smoothness, don't rely on your strength yet.

You'll be able to hit 350' with probably 40% of the effort in that video once you get the timing right (it's not easy, but you are athletic and you'll get it), and once you're at that point then you can start adding the extra strength in.

Listen to Sidewinder's advice

Also, notice how none of the pros are stepping forward in their follow through, they are bracing and pivoting on the plant foot.

Think back to your baseball days, a home run swing doesn't cause the batter to advance forward out of the batter's box. The point is to transfer as much of your body momentum to the disc as possible -- if you're running forward after release, then that energy is not going to the disc.

Dw0Gvxw.png

Hey Jason - I think we should start with the above. You're turning back a few steps too early, as SW22 points out.

Xu0JFUm.png

Next up, that's a position that is super common (I was doing it myself). Hugging yourself with a backswing that is too close to you. Widen it out, so that your backswing can pull on a straight line to the right pec.

You need to guide the disc on a straight and flat line. If you let it get behind you, the line to your right pec will never be straight.

wocIBAh.png

This is probably not even worth getting into yet - because if you fix the first two things, this will be different... but as you drive your elbow forward, you want the disc to remain on that flat line.

All the suggestions so far are on the money. Slow down a ton, focus more on slow and smooth with later acceleration and I'd say that it will be substantially easier to start fixing stuff without any x-step.

Wow this is exactly what I've been needing i should have posted something long ago...I've been struggling by myself needing an outside point of view from people who are more knowledgeable than myself...thanks guys and keep it coming if anyone else sees something more....and Hyzer how were you able to freeze and draw on the frames, what program are you running? Thanks again!

I just use "Snipping Tool" which is a standard install on windows. Sometimes I use GifCam to make animated gif's from youtube videos which is really handy.

Are there any drills (other than the Dan Beato drill) to help me out here for when i go out and throw? As i said before i played baseball and we had 3 or 4 different drills that would work on certain holes in our swings, so is there one or two that i can really hammer to fix my holes here or is the method to take things in slow motion and work from there?

I felt doing a full-ish reachback throw rather than starting at right pec helped me flow into the correct feel more easily/naturally. Just remember that if something isn't working, make some changes. Don't just keep doing the same thing and hope it will go further. I find that there are definitely plateaus where the discs will always land the exact same distance away from you. Things won't change unless you play with elbow position/reachback/something to make something feel different.

When things click, it pops out of your hand/wrist differently. It's like if you're hitting a ball off the end of the bat every time, you'll never hit it past 250' or whatever distance. Sure you can swing harder...but you're better off swinging a bit slower and hitting the sweet spot. The ball will go further, and it will feel different when you connect. You're looking for the analogous feeling, where the disc pops out differently and just cruises with more spin.

I like this video for showing standstill throws and such, but keep in mind Will has a super long reachback and is very lanky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI

Thanks for the links man. The hammer drills are getting sickening.

Just to make sure...you don't need to "drill" them. If you feel the motion of the wrist, that's all it needs. Once you know how that feels, doing it more as a drill doesn't really help. Just have to go find a throwing mechanic that makes your wrist open in a similar way!

Just to make sure...you don't need to "drill" them. If you feel the motion of the wrist, that's all it needs. Once you know how that feels, doing it more as a drill doesn't really help. Just have to go find a throwing mechanic that makes your wrist open in a similar way!

I feel the snap, weight shift, etc. while doing the drills and throwing, but the old goofy ass muscle memory still seems to recur from time to time.