• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost My Favorite DD So I'm Discing Down

ILUVSMGS18

Just Another Disc Hoarder
I lost my Konopisite Open CD3 in a pond yesterday (I hopefully will get it back this summer). I was throwing it 375'+ even getting close to 400' once or twice. As a result I'm trying to disc down so that when I get it back I can be throwing it 450' consistently.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 4 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: primarily RH but increasing my LH
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH, RHOH, LHBH, LHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: JK Aviar: 230/270; Roc3: 260/300'; Star Eagle-X: 310/340'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Weak shoulder/elbow joints, inability to easily gain muscle
Other sport proficiencies?: Dodgeball, Soccer (Keeper)
Additional Information: I'm easily frustrated so recovery is definatley necessary. I prefer to stay with Innova/Discmania/Millennium for durabilty and consistency in plastic feel.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Can't seem to cover the necessary distance (400') on the course.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to learn a consistent LHBH, and LHFH as well as see if this is a good discing down bag.
Immediate and long-term goals: Figure out why my DDs are only going 30' further than my 7 speed FDs. Long-term end up possibly sponsored and on the pro tour.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Luster PD (9/10) long hyzers, max d FHs.
171 Champ ThunderBird (9/10) headwind driver, BHs that have to end left
175 Star Sidewinder (8/10) max d BHs, can touch 350'
171 Star FireBird (9/10) headwind FHs, FireBird stuff
175 Champ Flat Top FireBird (9/10) Spikes, FH Rollers, Thumbers, fast and hard fading FHs
173 Lucid Escape (9/10) Tommys, long and straight BHs
172 VIP Stag (9.9/10) I just got this disc but it seems to be very versatile and could replace my Escape and ThunderBird and possibly some of my 7 speeds
170 Champ TeeBird (8/10) tight FHs, 330' and fade
165 Opto River (7/10) anny BHs, hyzeflips
175 Star Leo3 (8/10) more stable River, line shaping
175 Luster FD (8/10) similar to the TeeBird but with less fade and a bit of turn
171 Star Eagle-X (6/10) OS line shaping, can throw it 340 and still end up with fade
175 Champ Eagle-X (9/10) FH line shaping, flex FHs, shows very little turn on a full rip
156 Star Leo3 (9/10) LH disc, super fun RHBH hyzerflip disc

Mids:
180 Shimmer VRoc3 (9/10) mid that can hold a line, straight control shots
176 Fuzion Verdict (9/10) straight to fade, FHs, hyzer approaches, mid that won't turn
180 Shimmer Roc3 (9/10) mid range drives, main mid
180 McPro Roc3 (7/10) straight mid
171 Champ Roc3 (7/10) back up to both Roc3s and MD3
180 C-MD3 (8/10) fan grip FHs, similar to the Shimmer Roc3 but beadless
175 MFC Gator (9/10) Hyzers, windy putter, Gator stuff

Putters:
171 JK Aviar (6/10) approach putter
175 JK Aviar (7/10) driving putter
171 JK Aviar (5.5/10) main putter
175 GStar Rhyno (San Marino) (8/10) FH putts, hyzer putts, Rhyno stuff, LHFH

Stock stamp CD3s are a thing...Maybe just grab one of those.

That's a lot of molds ya got there.

So that's your bag and you want to disc down, starting from that?

Try playing with just your putting Aviar, G* Rhyno, one Roc3 and the Gator, and one Leo3 and the Teebird.

That should cover basically every shot.

What I posted is what I came up with for a disced down bag. I usually throw my CD3 and Mystere for BHs and Star Destroyer for FHs. I also have a Mamba that I use for long annys that have to go left fast (Hole 1 Blue at Cadyville DGC) as well as tailwinds. My CD3 was an Orange with White foil that I call my JäegerBomb disc (my last name is Yeager and that disc bombs for me).

gotta be honest with ya, man: those may have been subtle suggestions that what you are doing is not what most of us would consider "discing down."

you are trying to learn. minimize your variables if you are truly trying to disc down and go do field work to gain distance, don't try to gain D on the course if you can avoid it. if you have some local fields, use those.

The problem with field work is that I get distance but its very uncontrolled when I have to hit my line just right. I would have simplified my bag but I used whatever I could find in my multiple bags of randomness in order to fill all the slots that I need on the course. If I had the money to do it right I would've bought a new CD3. I'm not trying to be a jerk but I just want to improve my game. If I had a XXX or something similar I could probably go down to speed 7 as my top speed but unfortunately the only one that I had was flippy (for a XXX) so I traded it to a friend. I just wanted advice to see if it was a good direction for discing down. I might try to clean up my overlap by using the Stag more and taking out the Escape and ThunderBird.

You're not being a jerk at all.

You have way more overlap than that though. I could go a whole round with just a comet and I throw over 400' without a problem as well. Not a huge bomber, but solid. The comet alone can go 360'.

Some times I'll play a round with kc aviar x2, comet, gazelle, pd2 (power down to replace the h1 and power up if there's a stiff max d headwind shot).

i could disc down even more and go kc aviar x1, comet, cpd and not feel too limited.

You could get by with star firebird, fd, md3, verdict, gator, two jk and the rhyno. plenty of discs to throw a whole round. You require a wider range of stability because you throw bh and fh. I do not, for the most part.

Your distance and control has nothing to do with your bag. Discing down isn't a magical thing. You can throw slower discs and still throw like an idiot. That's why field work trumps all. Internalizing your form breeds consistency.

Last edited:
Is it weird if when I throw in a field I get a ton of griplocks but once I'm on the course they all seem to disappear? I feel like I throw more consistently on the course than I do in the field.

Is it weird if when I throw in a field I get a ton of griplocks but once I'm on the course they all seem to disappear? I feel like I throw more consistently on the course than I do in the field.

If your main focus during field work is big distance, you might simply be trying too hard to "crush" your shots. Instead, you may benefit from spending time in the field focusing on developing consistent form - just keeping it smooth and easy.

What I posted is what I came up with for a disced down bag.

Dang, what is your normal bag like? You must carry 40 discs usually.

To me, discing down doesn't necessarily mean only carrying lower speeds; it's more about trying to eliminate your options while still covering every shot. Granted, that will be more discs for you since you BH and FH. But once you step up to your lie and choose which line you are going to take, you should know immediately what disc you are throwing.

If you are ever left picking between 3, 4, 6 discs for a shot, then you have way too much overlap.

Ok so what are aome suggestions for overlap elimination? I'm thinking pull the Escape and ThunderBird as well as the River or Sidewinder.

Just a bit of a bag update, still haven't gotten back that C-CD3. I'm more looking for Distance Driver help now that I can break 400' but not consistently.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 4.5 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: primarily RH but increasing my LH
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH, RHOH, LHBH, LHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Rhyno: 220'/260' Roc3: 270'/310' TeeBird/Alpha: 320'/360' Destroyer/Trespass: 370'/410'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Weak shoulder/elbow joints, inability to easily gain muscle
Other sport proficiencies?: Dodgeball, Soccer (Keeper)
Additional Information: I'm easily frustrated so recovery is definitely necessary. I prefer to stay with Innova/Discmania/Millennium for durability and consistency in plastic feel, though I'm starting to open my options a bit as I'm not playing nearly every day now that I'm in college.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Can't seem to consistently cover the necessary distance (400') on the course.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to learn a consistent LHBH, and LHFH as well as see if this is a good discing down bag.
Immediate and long-term goals: Figure out why my DDs are only going 40' further than my 7 speed FDs. Long-term end up possibly sponsored and on the pro tour.

Bag:

Distance Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 GStar Destroyer (7.5/10) Max D BHs, flippy Destroyer
175 Star Destroyer (8.5/10) Stable Destroyer, Max D FHs, Windy Max D
I usually mix and match from my other Distance Drivers (listed below) in addition to the two above
159 Lucid Air Trespass (9.5/10)
165 Star Destroyer (7/10) Pre-Avery
173 Lucid Trespass (8.5/10)
171 Echo Star Destroyer (6/10) Pat#s, Old Stamp
171 Champ Destroyer (6.5/10) Pat#s
175 GStar Destroyer (9/10) identical to my flippy one but not as seasoned
175 Pro Destroyer (9/10)
175 Pro Destroyer (8.5/10)
175 Star Destroyer (9.5/10) 1st Run McBeth era super mega OS
175 MFC Destroyer (8.5/10) similar to my main Star but less glidey
175 S-CD3 (9/10)
175 C-CD3 (9.25/10)
175 G-DD (8/10)
175 C-DD (8.5/10) more like 11, 2, 0, 4 than 11, 5, 0, 2
172 C-PD2 (8.75/10) Flippy PD2, similar to a straight to fade Destroyer but glideless
17? Z Punisher (9/10)
173 VIP Destiny (7/10)

Control/Fairway Drivers:
175 Champ Firebird (9/10) Flat topped, Spike hyzers, main FH use, wind fighter, FH rollers
172 Champ Sidewinder (7/10) BH turnovers, touch FHs, BH rollers?
172 S-PD (7.5/10) straight to fade with control in the wind, tight FHs
174 Eternal Alpha (8.5/10) Orange FR Workhorse fairway,
173 Eternal Alpha (8.5/10) Pink FR US Fairway
170 Champ Beast (6/10) OHs
166 Echo Star TeeBird (7/10) Ace Disc, mojo disc, point and shoot fairway

Mids:
180 McGlow Roc3 (9/10) straight to fade mid
173 Champ RocX3 (9/10) FHs, hyzer approaches, mid that won't turn
176 KC Pro Roc (7/10) mid range drives, main mid
171 Champ Roc3 (7/10) back up to both Roc and Roc3
176 Champ Mako3 (8/10) US mid, turnovers

Putters:
175 R-Pro Rhyno (7/10) approach putter, get out of jail disc, tightly wooded shots
175 Champ Rhyno (9/10) driving putter
2x 175 Luster Rhynos (9.5/10) main putters
175 GStar Rhyno (7/10) FH putts, hyzer putts, LHFH, Turbo Putts

There's a big difference between "field work" and throwing in a field.

I was guilty (of throwing in a field) myself, just throw things as hard as I could looking for distance. Then it dawned on me on me one day, yeah, I can throw a Roc 300ft in a field, but, when was the last time I needed to throw one that far on a course? I use Rocs for accuracy and I'm pretty good with one out to about 270ft.

(Disclaimer; yeah I know, keep practicing and you'll get those Rocs out further, hey, I'm pushing 60, cut me some slack!)

Pick a field with obstacles, make shots, pick distances, don't just grip and rip. Pick unknown guesstimate distances to a tree and throw all your mids and putters on every line and see which ones really shine. Create OB's and throw drives for accuracy and note how far you really throw a disc when it matters. Throw low ceiling shots, hyzers, annies and flex shots, pretty soon certain discs will just not make the cut for your style.

As far as discing down goes, Damn, that's a lot of molds!

If it were me and I was trying to improve, I would just pick a few molds that are considerably different so there was no real overlap and work lines with those discs instead of one disc for every possible shot. But that's just me. I was stubborn, but then I played a few rounds with 5 discs (Eagle, Leopard, Roc, Rhyno and Wizard) and I started beating my best full bag rounds, I began to see the light!

So, I'm down to 9 molds with a few I'm cycling and I carry 12 discs. Took some discipline, but it was worth it (for me anyway) and I do field work all the time, I actually enjoy it.

Best of luck in what ever you decide to do.

After rereading an old thread on how to build a bag, and realizing that my bag has nothing currently in it from my last post in this thread, I'm updating it.

Bag: Discraft BX

Distance Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
167-169 Z Force (8/10) headwind drives, flex FHs
170-172 ESP Kong (8/10) OS DD, max D FHs
170-172 Ti Thrasher (8/10) US DD
170-172 Z Crank (7.5/10) stable DD

Control/Fairway Drivers:
173-174 Ti Undertaker (8/10) workhorse control driver
170-172 Z Heat (8.5/10) US control driver
173-174 ESP Raptor (8.5/10) OS/FH control driver
170-172 Mystery DGA FW (8/10) fits nicely between the UT and Heat
173-174 Ti Stalker (8/10) workhorse fairway driver
173-174 Z Stalker (6.5/10) touch fw shots, get out of jail disc

Mids:
173 Elite-X Comet (5/10) its a beat Comet, 'nuff said
177+ MJ '19 Comet (8.5/10) for Comet stuff that requires a "beefier" Comet
177 Z Buzzz (6.5/10) straight mid
177+ Z Wasp (7.5/10) OS mid

Putters:
173-174 Cryztal Luna (8.5/10) slightly OS throwing putter
173-174 Luna (6/10) stable throwing putter
173-174 Fierce (8/10) main putting putter
173-174 Fierce (7/10) US throwing putter/backup putting putter/approach putter
173-174 Z Zone (8/10) Who doesn't need a Zone?

I'm thinking of cutting down to a smaller bag just to see what happens, since I've shot +2 with just my putter on one course with my best being -5. I've also shot even with just a JB Wasp.
I'm thinking the following:
Raptor
Ti Stalker
Elite X Comet
Z Wasp
Fierces
Cryztal Luna
Z Zone

I'm debating just dropping the Undertaker from my bag since my Stalker goes almost as far. I'm trying the small bag just to see how much I really need the others on a shorter course.

Latest posts