• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Love my FD’s but

ray1970

* Ace Member *
Sort of want to replace them.

The lack of consistency from run to run and the fact that even in normal times availability can be spotty kind of has me wanting to try something different.

I briefly gave the River a shot but it is nothing like any of my FDs. Way more understable and way too much dome for my taste. My favorite FDs are the flatter S-lines.

Sort of want to stay away from anything Innova makes because I don't want to buy six of them to find one that feels and flies like I want.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

I stopped throwing S-FDs for similar reasons. Plus I switched to drivers in the 150s and good luck finding light Discmania discs.

Anyway, Innova but I replaced S-FDs with Star TLs. Some prefer the TL3, which might be closer to a S-FD. I find the Star TL is a little more stable and has a bit more finishing fade compared with my old domey S-FDs. But at my less-than-awesome distance, a little angle manipulation yields similar lines.

I have not (yet?) had trouble with availability or consistency for Star TLs. I threw *TL a few years back for a bit, and the current ones seem to fly the same as the old ones.

FWIW, S-FDs replaced perfectly-seasoned DX Teebirds, so that's another option (if you are willing to give Innova another try).

All disc golf companies are somewhat inconsistent. Innova could be the worst though because of the number of discs they are making. That said maybe an Undertaker would be a disc to try but guys I know who throw them also complain about inconsistencies.

Discmanias lack of Innova stock is a major issue though, I hear that.

Sort of want to replace them.

The lack of consistency from run to run and the fact that even in normal times availability can be spotty kind of has me wanting to try something different.

I briefly gave the River a shot but it is nothing like any of my FDs. Way more understable and way too much dome for my taste. My favorite FDs are the flatter S-lines.

Sort of want to stay away from anything Innova makes because I don't want to buy six of them to find one that feels and flies like I want.

Any ideas?

What flight and distance did you expect from FDs, and what %power did you throw to get said flight? Because this thought has crossed my mind as well. I only have 1 FD (C-line) but use it a ton.

What flight and distance did you expect from FDs, and what %power did you throw to get said flight? Because this thought has crossed my mind as well. I only have 1 FD (C-line) but use it a ton.

I like my flatter ones for a low, dead straight 300' shot that has just a slight finish. About 85-90% power it gives me little to no turn on a flat release and a super straight flight.

I like my flatter ones for a low, dead straight 300' shot that has just a slight finish. About 85-90% power it gives me little to no turn on a flat release and a super straight flight.

You sound about where I am. My c-line still has more fade at the end that I want, but it's getting there. I am trying a Relay, but it does not have quite the distance, and requires slightly more hyzer release for a similar flight (and also fades more than I want). Fuse is too understable (and short). A Maverick is close, but more fade than even my newish FD.

Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift Drift

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I will probably buy one tomorrow if the DD store has stock. What am I looking for in dome and plastic and PLH? (I have one streamline disc, the Trace).

I will probably buy one tomorrow if the DD store has stock. What am I looking for in dome and plastic and PLH? (I have one streamline disc, the Trace).

I have 4 and have compared those to another 20 or so at my local shop in various plastics and weights. They are generally pretty consistent, ranging from a mild dome to a slightly less mild dome. PLH varies slightly but nothing like my old FDs did. I'd say just grab whatever one feels best in your hand.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stag.

I bagged FDs for a minute. Inconsistency and availability quickly led me to a Saint (but hated the plus rim) and then Escapes which are just better feeling Saints in my opinion. But I grew unhappy with Escapes because they were faster than I wanted for that mid-stability shapeable FW driver slot. Stag was the next experiment and they stuck in my bag.

There was a rumor for a bit that Stags might be cut from Westside's lineup. But then they produced a run of VIP-X Stags that sold out in only a couple days, so I think the Trilogy folks figured out that there is demand for the Stag still. And the mold is on the 'priority production list' for 2021, meaning they plan to produce multiple runs this year.

I feel like FDs are really consistent with a dome. It's really uncommon to run into flat FDs imo

Y'all are just insane and OP is dead to me....🙁

You can definitely find flattish FDs. Swirly S-line are very flat but most have moderate dome and pop tops are very uncommon.

I've embraced some inconsistency in FDs and currently bag 3. I have more of this mold than anything else. I can't resist grabbing a new run that I like the profile on and most FDs in used bins are in danger of being bought if I see them. (2 second runs were scrounged from used bins)

FDs for life!

I have a pop-top champion FD that flies like a mellow Teebird. No turn at high speed, but a mellow and long fade. I'm sure when beat in over time, it will be a long lasting glidey S-curve bomber.

Of what I have thrown that have a perfect baby S-curve out of the box-- what I imagine an FD to be, I recommend a Cosmic Neutron Drift, Opto Saint, Star TL3.

Y'all are just insane and OP is dead to me....🙁

You can definitely find flattish FDs. Swirly S-line are very flat but most have moderate dome and pop tops are very uncommon.

I've embraced some inconsistency in FDs and currently bag 3. I have more of this mold than anything else. I can't resist grabbing a new run that I like the profile on and most FDs in used bins are in danger of being bought if I see them. (2 second runs were scrounged from used bins)

FDs for life!

You ever throw a D-line FD?

Lol, plenty FDs at the DD store today

attachment.php

Attachments

• F2C64144-C85C-4036-A1A8-CDCC9B407917.jpg
    F2C64144-C85C-4036-A1A8-CDCC9B407917.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 214

Latest posts