• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Love my FD’s but

So. Here are a few pictures of the Drift. This one is in neutron plastic. The dome is moderate and similar to my favorite FD's.

The yellowish disc is the drift. The orange disc is an FD.

56ab967780fd34fc59857dfc75e15d20.jpg

6c2988f52ae01db10c3ab45565c198f4.jpg

So. Here are a few pictures of the Drift. This one is in neutron plastic. The dome is moderate and similar to my favorite FD's.

The yellowish disc is the drift. The orange disc is an FD.

56ab967780fd34fc59857dfc75e15d20.jpg

6c2988f52ae01db10c3ab45565c198f4.jpg

Thank you. All the Drifts a the local store had varied domes. Seeing yours and hearing your flight description is helpful (if I continue this goosechase).

If I had to compare the Drift to anything I would probably say it flies a lot like a River but for me it is less domey and feels better in the hand.

I bagged Rivers several years ago and just found them a little too unpredictable for my liking.

It's looking like I'll probably keep leaning on my FDs but it was fun to try out a few different molds.

I sorta wish but sorta don't wish that my cosmic neutron drift was as flippy as Ray's. Mine is flat and stiff, flies like 7/6/-1/1. For now it slots in between my AB 2021 TB3 and Star Roadrunner as a super straight disc. Over time I'm hoping it will become the -2/1 that it's supposed to be, and one of my TB3s becomes the -1/1.

All rivers I've thrown besides pop-top Opto-Xs are 7/6/-2/0. They turn and never come back.

Have you ever thrown a Legacy Patriot? In the Icon plastic it is in the same wheelhouse as a S-fd.

I had one years ago. Honestly don't remember which plastic. At the time it didn't click with me but that was back when I was just starting out so definitely was more me than the disc I'm sure.

I sorta wish but sorta don't wish that my cosmic neutron drift was as flippy as Ray's. Mine is flat and stiff, flies like 7/6/-1/1. For now it slots in between my AB 2021 TB3 and Star Roadrunner as a super straight disc. Over time I'm hoping it will become the -2/1 that it's supposed to be, and one of my TB3s becomes the -1/1.

All rivers I've thrown besides pop-top Opto-Xs are 7/6/-2/0. They turn and never come back.

Yeah, I guess I would rate my Drift as pretty true to the numbers fresh off the shelf. Except the glide. Mine is a 7/6/-2/1.

RHBH throwing it 300' at 5,000+' above sea level.

I love my G star FD's but good luck finding any of those anymore. I also love my G star and Star CD2's but those have gone away too. I'll be throwing my remaining FD's and CD2's on the water holes in Phoenix next weekend and then looking for replacements for them when they are gone. Looking forward to trying out the Infinite Centurion.

I scour the world for G-Line FD's (also P-Line which feel and fly extremely similar to the G) and snatch them up immediately (within reason $$). Just snagged a *new* first run G-Line FD :thmbup:

If I had to compare the Drift to anything I would probably say it flies a lot like a River but for me it is less domey and feels better in the hand.

I bagged Rivers several years ago and just found them a little too unpredictable for my liking.

It's looking like I'll probably keep leaning on my FDs but it was fun to try out a few different molds.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Tried switching to the River. I feel like you get more glide and therefore sightly more distance, but lose some predictability. But I'm mostly throwing fairway drivers when predictability is critical! I guess I'll avoid the Drift for the same reason.

Oh well, I have one good FD left. I'm going to hold out hope that it lasts until Discmania can make more that have a reasonably low PLH like they used to.

Maybe I'll try a Patriot and Leopard3 if my last good FD beats in too much or gets lost. Or maybe I'll settle for the River. Argh.

Sort of want to replace them.

The lack of consistency from run to run and the fact that even in normal times availability can be spotty kind of has me wanting to try something different.

I briefly gave the River a shot but it is nothing like any of my FDs. Way more understable and way too much dome for my taste. My favorite FDs are the flatter S-lines.

Sort of want to stay away from anything Innova makes because I don't want to buy six of them to find one that feels and flies like I want.

Any ideas?

Glad to hear that, I picked up the only 2 S-Line FDs I could find online, for when the snow clears.

I similarly couldn't find another disc for this slot I'd rather use, but some suggestions would be a Sidewinder or Sphinx. Higher speed but less stable will give a similar flight, and Metal Flake should be more stable and durable enough to stop it from getting too flippy too quick.

Plenty of availability on Sphinx.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but the Undertaker in Z or the like seemed pretty similar to the FD.

This coming from a diehard FD fan. Just picked up a couple in S from the local shop.

Didn't scroll through 96 posts, but has anyone mentioned a Millennium JLS. Readily available in all the same plastics and seem to cover a similar slot. Even OLS may be a slightly faster replacement. Millennium is like the original Discmania and has all the same stuff but way easier to find

He updated his ITB and has 2 S-FDs in.

He caved, resistance is futile.

Guilty as charged.

I tried quite a few fairways before settling on the FD about four years ago. Guess it was kind of silly of me to try replacing something that I found worked for my game.

It was still fun trying a few molds I hadn't tried before.

Guilty as charged.

I tried quite a few fairways before settling on the FD about four years ago. Guess it was kind of silly of me to try replacing something that I found worked for my game.

It was still fun trying a few molds I hadn't tried before.

At least you don't throw PDs too. Talk about varying runs and spotty availability....sheesh. Add the continuing divorce from Innova putting it's future in doubt.

Luckily those are the only two DM molds I throw and I really do have FDs and PDs for life. Probably pretty hard to be a full blown Discmaniac. Looks like they're gonna run night strikes again this year. Make them like the NS1 and I'll buy 6 or 8 and call it good. I don't think a PD run this year is a done deal.

I bagged PD's for a while. Still have a small stack of them in my stash.

I have C and S lines and every one of them feels and flies pretty consistent. Mine are all newer runs from the last several years and are a little more over stable than what I was really looking for. I was kind of expecting a Thunderbird sort of a flight but that isn't what I got.

Latest posts