• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maine - September 2019

toddnick

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So, my big vacation this year involves 17 nights. I'll be driving from Buffalo, NY to spend 3 nights in Quebec City, then 4 nights at Baxter State Park in Central Maine hiking, then 4 nights at Bradbury Mountain State Park (about 5 miles Northeast of Freeport, Maine) before heading to Vermont to watch the Green Mountain Championship over 5 nights.

So, I have 3 full days to disc golf while staying in the Freeport area.

My tentative agenda is:

Bittersweet Ridge - North & South courses on day 1.
Sabattus - Eagle & Hawk courses on day 2.
Acker's Acres - Wicked & Twisted courses on day 3.

Is this the best plan?

I was out that way last year and would like to have had more time to play courses in the area. I did get to play Sabattus and Acker's though. Sabattus is a sweet complex, it's a must play destination. Acker's is nice, but nowhere on the same level as the destination NE courses that I got to play. I would shoot for somewhere else unless you're really crunched for time or something. When I posed a similar question before my trip, 3 places besides Sabattus that got recommended to me were Bittersweet Ridge, Devil's Grove, and Pineland Farms.

I'll be on a 9 day trip in late August that includes Smuggs, Sabattus, Bittersweet, Maple Hill, and hopefully Nockamixon. With many others thrown in. I'll let you know what we think.

Thanks

Last year when I was on my way up to Vermont to watch Worlds I camped in the Worcester area for 3 days and managed to play several great courses. Three really stood out; Maple Hill, 501, and Borderland.

Had reservations at a cabin in Nockamixon Park for 4 nights this past Memorial Day but I cancelled them when they closed the course.

The Smuggs facility is simply amazing. Two really great and very different courses on one property. Loved my experience at Worlds so much that I needed to come back this year to watch Green Mountain Championship.

After a little more research and with the suggestion in this thread, I think that I'm going to do

Bittersweet Complex - Day 1
Sabattus Complex - Day 2
Pineland Farms Complex - Day 3

Last edited:
Bittersweet is damn fun, especially the North course. Pineland Farms is very close...we'll be playing that this year.

Sabattus Eagle is an absolute gem.

Sabattus and Pineland are a must

BSR and Pineland both have a long and short course.
If pressed, I would play both long courses in the same day
(lunch at Pineland is a must!) and save another day for
something in the Augusta/Lewiston Area (Dragan/Quarry Run/Ackers)

But BSR and Pineland are great and the courses differ enough for variety.

Great time to be in Maine!

Thanks

Thanks for the input, after a little research, Augusta Disc Golf (Ghost Tree/Quarry Run) sounds pretty intriguing...

Welcome to Maine/NE, where my issue is a lack of time rather than good courses to bag.

Solid choices so far based on your schedule where all 3 of those locations offer multiple courses. If you wanted to mix in Augusta I'd be hard pressed to recommend it over Sabattus/Pineland/BSR but it is a good facility. The original Quarry Run is fairly straightforward while the newer Ghost Tree offers more of a challenge. You need more like 5 days in Maine instead of 3 :)

I will add that though I like Sabattus, I'm not sure its destination material. While it's an incredibly well maintained facility, there isn't much wow factor to the courses. I think it gets hyped more because FPO Worlds was held there.

So, it seems that everyone so far says Bittersweet, Sabattus, and Pineland...which is my plan now...

Looking forward to the trip...been to Quebec City (like 25 years ago), Baxter in central Maine will be new hiking territory for me, was in the Portland area about 20 years ago (well before I started playing disc golf), and Vermont (especially Smuggs) I've been to for about the last 5 years including World's last year...which was truly amazing (even though McBeth finished second), a truly great facility with incredible courses and scenery....fortunately, was there to see McBeth win at USDGC in October last year...

Latest posts