• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

midairmatthew's bag

midairmatthew

Bogey Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 16, but about four years since making some big form changes.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right
Throwing Style: 50/50 RHBH/RHFH
Golf Distances: Wizard: Up to 250'; MD3: Up to 300'; FD: Up to 350'; Orc: Up to 375'

Optional:
Sex: M
Other sport proficiencies?: Tennis.

Extra background: For the longest time, I threw everything forehand except fan-gripped Roc approaches and putters. If you ever crossed paths with me on a course in North Dakota between 2004 and 2012, I was the tall skinny guy FH hyzer-flipping an assortment of iDye Champ Valks. A 300' FH hyzer-flipped Valk was something I could do almost immediately after starting to play, and then it remained basically all I ever did... It was just a tennis forehand to me. But it also prevented me from actually learning how to play disc golf for a really long time. About four years ago I started watching form videos and ACTUALLY USING A DANG POWER-GRIP for drivers, and I got up to my current backhand distance pretty quickly. And now I'm stuck there. I just switched from Comet/Roc to MD/MD3—I'm throwing mids with a power-grip now, too, just to reduce variables, and these beadless guys feel better and come out cleaner. Last year, I also switched from a one-finger to two-finger forehand grip, and that added around 25' once I got it figured out. (Eagle's YouTube video about FH helped SO much for me.) Anyway, this isn't a form critique thread...just wanted to give a little more background.

Specific areas of desired feedback: Any and all. On the course, I don't feel like I have any gaps, and it's easy for me to choose a disc for a given shot. But I'd love to hear recommendations that would further pare down my bag OR add to it.

Immediate and long-term goals: I feel like this isn't super bag-related, but distance. It's frustrating to be able to hit serves and groundstrokes in tennis that put me toward the upper end of "amateur" ability, but not be able to throw a disc 400' without a big tailwind.

Bag:

Drivers:
167g PFN Star Orc (newish / weirdly OS for an Orc) - Headwind distance.
165g PFN Champ Orc (newish / hyzer-flips into a predictable turn-and-fade distance line) - Max distance 375' BH. 325' low/straight FH lines with a forward-fading finish.
175g 2017 Sexton Firebird (beat) - Straight FH (up to 300') with that predictable Firebird finish.
175g 2017 Sexton Firebird (newish) - FH lines that I need to fight harder out of an anny or get a bigger skip. Goes more like 285' for me, since it wants to fade much earlier than my beat Firebird.
175g C-Line FD2 (fresh) - A little less distance and a little more fade than the Royal Rage. Rarely throw this guy.
170g Color Glow C-Line Royal Rage FD2 (slightly beat) - BH/FH for straight 300-335' lines with a reliable fading finish.
175g S-Line FD (fresh) - If there's a slight headwind (or chance of losing it), I'll throw this instead of the below FD.
165g S-Line FD (slightly beat) - This is what I throw for all BH 300-350' shots if it's not windy and I don't need the extra FD2 fade. (Discmania, please make some more 165g S-Line FDs for me!)
175 D-Line FD (slightly beat) - Standstill distance and super uphill shots. I can throw it on a hyzer-flip and it'll finish flat after a big turn, but I'll usually opt for a forehand if possible, so this guy is more a "get out of trouble" disc.

Mids:
180g Neo Method (newish) - Only throw this if there's a headwind and I need "more than Harp less than FD2" distance. Doesn't need to be in the bag if it's not windy.
180g Color Glow C-Line Crowned Eagle MD3 (slightly beat) - I throw this up to 300', but only if I'm a little worried about slight wind, over-turning an MD on a low line, or need a little more fade on a low line than my MD would give me.
180g Luster C-Line MD (slightly beat) - Dead straight up to 300' BH / 280' FH. Gosh I love this disc.

Putters:
175g BT Hard Harp (newish) - This was out of the bag for a bit, but it's just so dang easy both BH and FH if I need 200-250' with some fade.
175g Special Blend 16 Wizard (quite beat) - Low-power straight lines, hyzer-flip to gentle turn with a flat finish up to 250', putts longer than 50'.
175g Organic Wizard (slightly beat) - 250' hyzer-flipped straight lines, glidey "get around stuff" approaches in the rare occasion the Harp line won't do, drop-in "second" putts so I don't have to use a mini.
175g Organic Wizard (fresh) - Putting up to 50'.

In the Bag for Woods Courses Disc:
175g Champion iDye JK 5x Valkyrie (beat to hell) - I'll take out my Star Orc and drop this guy in. I've had it nearly since I started playing. For narrow 300-325' fairways, I forehand this pretty gently on a slight hyzer, and it flies and finishes flat. Or I can give it a little snap, and it'll wander about 10' to the left and finish flat. Totally useless in the wind. I'd be absolutely crushed if I ever lost this disc.

Last edited:
So in disc golf, there's this thing that happens when you say something is easy. And it just happened to me. My Harp now rests peacefully in a real gross pond.

I guess my Champ Rhyno is back in the bag for now.

I think biggest thing for you would be to add an US distance driver. These are going to get you the extra D you want. Look at something like a crank/tern/sword/sergeant/etc. These will help get to the 400' mark, if you are throwing the orcs 375'

I think biggest thing for you would be to add an US distance driver. These are going to get you the extra D you want. Look at something like a crank/tern/sword/sergeant/etc. These will help get to the 400' mark, if you are throwing the orcs 375'

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to check one of those out!

Latest posts