• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

midrange discs over-rated ??

A

Anonymous

what can any midrange do that a well thrown putter or slow fairway cant? i used to like sharks/ rocs but found i can do everything + more with a cheetah/ aviar combo.

I just put mids back into my bag just for holes that have too low of a ceiling for a putter on 260+ shots.

i feel u but cheetah does that awesome, to me its like a longer roc and it doesnt crash real sharp like other fairways.

matt said:
i feel u but cheetah does that awesome, to me its like a longer roc and it doesnt crash real sharp like other fairways.

I was doing the same as you and just using my sabre but I came to the conclusion that an element would work much better on those holes that weren't over 350. I can throw a putter farther than a mid so I used to just use the putter and a slower driver (for the past 6 months) but you have more room for erroen in most mids VS slower drivers.

matt:

the longer you throw, the greater the spread between disc lengths.

the cheetah was one of the 5 longest discs on the market in 1996.

midranges have an advantage mainly because of their speed.

a roc can do a lot of shots that an aviar can't do (low mid length) but it's way more accurate than a driver.

way more accurate is relative cuz u can flip a roc off the flight pattern or fade it too much but not really with a cheetah. also an aviar will fall so straight on approaches, unlike a roc unless its beat

matt said:
way more accurate is relative cuz u can flip a roc off the flight pattern or fade it too much but not really with a cheetah. also an aviar will fall so straight on approaches, unlike a roc unless its beat

HUH? I'm sure you can flip a cheetah. I threw throw on S shots when I was 11.

u can flip anything really but i have had more bad shots w/ rocs like losin em in wind cuz of the blunt lip and dome and once the nose is down its over. a 175 cheetah behaves like a midrange with added distance if u gunn it, and the crash is about the same as a roc too.

you are describing cheetah throws that involve very little finish power.

if you aren't finishing, accuracy becomes difficult.

i can only turn rocs over if i'm trying to throw them > 340' (which isn't often) and/or in situations w/ 15+mph headwinds.

if you nut on a cheetah it turns much more easily than a roc.

for me midranges are great for short holes, I can't throw putters very far, mostly because the grip doesn't feel right when trying to throw far. I can get a roc to do whatever I want. that's just my opinion though

You don't need midrange discs. I know people that play fine without them. However, they do have a place in the game.

Your question was what can a midrange do that a putter or fairway driver can't.

Bottom answer is that "mid range distance". They fly with less height than a putter and with less fade and skip than a driver. There are some courses that for some players are just midrange courses. They don't have the distance that would require a driver but they do have the sharp or lengthy turns that are too much for a putter.

Again, if you don't want to use a midrange, you can develop a game without them. You need more accurate touch driver shots and better long putting skills.

For people with bigger arms, a midrange would do well over 250' and less than 400'. While you could throw putters further and drivers shorter, that would seem to me to be the "sweet" spot for midrange discs. Give or take some of that distance depending on the situation and thrower.

I feel much more comfortable throwing a mid at 90%-100% than throwing a driver at about 60%.

stable mids are much more wind resistant than putters.

basically, fairway drivers should get 85-90% of your distance driver distance.
midranges should get about 75% of your dristance driver distance.
putters should get about 70% of your distance driver distance.

when you do the math, the longer you throw in general widens the distance ranges between each type.

i hear alot of people talk about rippin rocs over 300' straight, but unless i hyzer- flip it and throw it high, its not gettin that kind of d; its just not fast enough. i do agree there def is a gap from putter to fairway driver for experienced throwers but the lips on the slower fairways like the gazelle, cheetah, viper, cyclone... fill the role of an overstable midrange better than a roc does imo. i just wish the viper was small diameter. the lip on the gator blows imo. and just to cross reference, there aint much difference b/w the putters and the midranges in terms of the lip and speed.

matt said:
i hear alot of people talk about rippin rocs over 300' straight, but unless i hyzer- flip it and throw it high, its not gettin that kind of d; its just not fast enough. i do agree there def is a gap from putter to fairway driver for experienced throwers but the lips on the slower fairways like the gazelle, cheetah, viper, cyclone... fill the role of an overstable midrange better than a roc does imo. i just wish the viper was small diameter. the lip on the gator blows imo. and just to cross reference, there aint much difference b/w the putters and the midranges in terms of the lip and speed.

You probably don't have the arm to use a mid to its full potential. To get that arm though you need to throw Mids and putters.

Probably the disc I use the least is my Buzzz. I agree with you Matt, I can get most places with a slow X Pred or my Soft Mag, a Challenger if I need more hyzer. But I wouldn't go without my CryZtal Buzzz. There are shots, or days and times when I gotta have that disc, and I know what it will do. I don't throw anything too hard, so some days the Buzzz is just right. Whatever works right?

i can throw flat-top large diameter mids 350 but its easier to do that with a slower fairway. its all about the lip design. rocs are blunt like putters and it takes room and height or 100% power to get a roc out there. id rather throw a cheetah 75% cuz its easier. anything faster like an eagle or teebird and i would agree completely with using a midrange cuz they behave drastically different.

personally, i cant live without midranges (rocs in my case, though i have tried almost all mids). for my game, I have developed a strategy where unless i am putting or really close to the basket (<150'), I am always trying to throw with the same form and power. Using this strategy, in order to get my shots to land within a reasonable distance relative to where i want them, I need those mids for when my wizards are too short and my leopards are too long. by developing this game plan i have found that my form developed much faster and my consistency went way up. Now granted, for a 275' shots, i could easily take out my new champ leopard and throw it 70% and watch it fade and skip, or i could take out a beat roc, throw it with the 85-90% power with which i throw all my shots, and watch it do exactly what i wanted with no adjustment. Adjusting to throwing a disc longer or shorter than it is intended created lots of consistency issues for me.

Also, i think one of the very important and very overlooked aspects of the argument FOR midranges is the added stability in the wind. Again, throwing 275', you could throw a gazelle 70% or a roc 90%. In this case, with no wind, they will fly similarly and land pretty close to one another. Add a 15 mph wind, and the midrange will stay MUCH more consistent and predictable than the fairway driver. the slower fairway drivers (leopard, gazelle, cheetah) just cant fight that kind of wind, no matter what the weight or how new they are (i have found this to be the case from my own experience with all 3 listed above). Stable midranges (rocs, wasps, sentinels...especially sentinels) have the wind-fighting ability to stay on line and remain predictable in almost all weather conditions.

Overall, I think it is possible to develop a game revolving around just fairway drivers and putters, but it is my personal opinion that my midrange game is one of the major reasons i have imporved as much as i have over the past year or so (paired with all the help and advice i have received on this board)

i am not, nor have i ever claimed to be, a top pro or an expert in any way on the sport, but i can speak from my own experiences, and thats all i have to offer here

HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE, BATMAN!

i understand ur philosophy on throwing with similar form and power across the chart. in my exp a gazelle or cheetah will handle wind much better than a roc, especially if u have to put some juice on it. a leopard has a completely different lip altogether. midranges seem to be more of a luxury than a necessity. u can putt with a midrange but its not as accurate and u risk 30' runs past the basket, u can approach with a putter and its more accurate, u can midrange with a putter and it will drop much straighter. im still convinced a mid range is over rated.

I like midranges because I can still play the skip with them in situations with low ceilings, plus everything else good said about them, as well as my comfort level with the grips of mids.

Latest posts