• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange Discs

I just carry Rocs, but a bunch of them:

GSTAR Roc 3
Champ Roc 3
Flat Top KC Pro Rancho
Flat Top DX Rancho

If it's windy or at a low elevation, I'll throw a Champ Rancho in there. If it's REALLY windy I'll throw in my Star Gator.

I use the KC or the DX for upshots or tight shots. The others are more for off the tee or reaaaaalllllyyy long approaches. I'm not going to go on about how great the Roc is, especially since I carry so many different types, but it fits my game. It takes a concerted effort to beat in even my DX to be a turnover Roc, but it's worth it for me because I've just never clicked with an out of the box understable mid.

If you like the Buzzz you're in a good spot to have multiples of the same mold in different plastics/stages of wear depending on your power level.

But there is nothing wrong with having multiple molds either, especially if you like Discraft which, and let's be honest here, has (collectively) the best mid - range line up in the game.

I typically carry and use 3 mid range discs. A factory second Champion Cobra, an R Pro Roc, and a Gateway Evolution Karma, use all 3 on more technical courses. My up shots are the best part of my game too.

2 midrange molds. putter does a lot of "midrange" work.

Id say you are fine with a buzzz if that's the ONE you are going to have its a winner.

Could just get a baseline buzzz to be understable and have a fresh premium plastic for a little more overstability.

I used mids to drive on anything 200 -330 ft as long as it's not a major uphill shot. Use my putter under 200 and fairways/drivers over 300. I rarely use mids for upshots. I will generally use a putter. Seems to work well for me.

I carry a star rancho roc, a fuse, a DX cobra, and a truth. This seems to cover any line/length I need under 250. If I need a strong hyzer line for around 235' or 250', or it's windy, I'll throw a tee bird. If for some reason I'm not trusting the fuse, a kc pro roc is a good change-up. Until recently, I had a DX roc3 that went just a bit farther than the truth, with a nice smooth anny line to it. I don't miss it too badly yet, but I may end up replacing it at some point :).

As you can tell, I have a lot of mids -- I don't play my local course with many drivers at all (I have two teebirds, a river, and a blizzard destroyer).

I used mids to drive on anything 200 -330 ft as long as it's not a major uphill shot. Use my putter under 200 and fairways/drivers over 300. I rarely use mids for upshots. I will generally use a putter. Seems to work well for me.

Same for me. Anything sorta 180 or under, I grab my Pure. If I need a strong hyzer or it's windy I will use my star rancho ROC (at maybe 70%), or an aviar.

Currently the Ibex and Obex are the two mids thrown. Ibex nearly bought me an Ace on a 293' target hit chains and dropped 1' from the pole. Throws straight and great bridge between putter/approach and drivers.
Obex glides slightly better and carves winds better & can shape throws easier. I have thrown the Buzz and Star Mako too. They both performed well but I simply have better success with Vibram.

I'm still sad that I lost my Proton Tangent :( it was a favorite disc. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a great, dependable mid that you'll reach for again and again.

Took the Z Buzzz out of the bag to try out my Champ Glow Roc3 and I am never looking back :D. I love the Buzzz but I have been digging the Roc3 a lot. Yay midranges!

z buzzz ss
ace race hornet
ace race zombie if you consider it a mid- not really a driver...

I love my Mids, any shot under 350 I usually hit it with a mid.
I always carry a Roc3 or a Cro and if I have my full bag usually a Drone and my Tachyon or Viper(if you don't think of those as drivers).

I threw Rollin Ridge armed with just the Cro , Drone and Warlock and only shot 6 over on the medium tees and 7 over on the longs.

Would I have liked a driver, yes, but you don't have to have every speed 14 animal to beat people.

I carry 3 mids and cover everything I need. White Cedar demands accurate lines and placement shots which is what mids do.

Tangent - low power straight and turnover lines
Alias -Thrown the most. Lots of straight lines and lazy hyzers
Tensor - Beef.

I carry a:

Shark
Shark 3
Roc+
Panther
(I have also thrown my sons Hawk from time to time when he is not using it)

but also use my
Aviar/Sinus
Whippet
150 Leopard

depending on the shot

I carry 3 molds of mids and they are probably the most used discs in my bag.

Ti Drone
Ti Wasp
Z Wasp
Z Comet
X Comet

My Comets and Z Wasp are probably my most used mids. The Ti Wasp and Drone only come out for more wind or shots that need to fade harder.

2 molds, 4 discs: Glow DX Roc (180g and 176g) x2, X Comet (178g and 176g). Gives me a slightly OS, straight with fade, straight/neutral, and slightly US options.

I carry 3 mids, all 3 Maces. One Opto, two Zero Line. Trying to break in one of the Zeroes at the moment, it's still a 8/10, I can't seem to hit enough trees! Thinking of a Tursas for some US action. Right now I anny a Mace and hope for the best, which usually isn't very good.

X Buzz, star leopard, fuse, cryztal flx drone, ibex, and dx roc. LOVE MY MIDS :)