• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange Ken Climo grip?

DiscGolfDan1

Bogey Member
I just changed my main grip to the Ken Climo Grip, It work perfect for drives but i just don't feel comfortable throwing the KC grip with mids and I can't get enough power from a fan grip. I don't want to go back to my old 3 finger relax grip just for mid shot. Do you guys have any good "secret" grips you can show me or should I just suck it up and use the KC or Fan?
Please help me!!

I had the opposite experience. I used to grip my Rocs with a power grip, but had consitancy issues. I switched to the KC grip for my mids, and have not looked back since. I seem to be much more accurate and have picked up distance with this grip, but still use the power grip for my drivers.

I use Kenny's grip for both Putter/Midrange drives and for Golf Shots (accuracy dependent).

For straight up power shots or long D, i use Avery's grip

For those times i need a combination of power and accuracy, i use Feldberg's grip.

but hey, thats just me.

If your not comfortable, your not confident.

I decided to just throw the Climo grip for all my shot except putts. even if I don't feel comfortable its more reliable instead of some crappy throw that goes where it wants instead of where I want it to go.

In Climo's video he said the main part of the grip was to have the ring finger on top of the pinky. The birdy could go wherever. You can stick that puppy out like you are flipping someone off and it will give you added stability.

I use the pinch grip for mids. It comes down to whatever works best for your hand size/shape. If you can get a solid grip on your disc and feel comfortable with it, go with it.

pinchgrip01.jpg

There has been a lot of grip questions lately on DGCR, heh.

Anyway, there are some advantages to learning multiple grips. Most people use more than one 1 or 2 grips during a round. I use pretty much three grips. I find they do everything I want.

Four finger power
Fork Stacked grip (KC grip you're discussing)
and fan grip
Putting still a fan just with the index under the rim not wrapped like around onto the inside rim.

Anyway, Going down the line they offer accuracy with a VERY SLIGHT decrease in distance till you reach the fan grip.
The Stacked fork grip is really one of the most well rounded grips and essentially to me makes up quite a few throws for me. But, anyway as mentioned the grips comfort is all relative. You could be performing a certain grip incorrectly which I was guilty of at times and got corrected on it.
The Stacked fork grip like mentioned does gain most of it's leverage by stacking the ring finger on the pinky finger like MrScoopa mentioned. The middle as said also isn't all THAT important, but can increase resistance if stacked also, or add stability if straightened across the flight plate. Your choice but does change the grip to a "birdy grip" essentaially. XD But, anyway. This grip is still rather powerful and shouldn't really hinder your ability to still get some good distance. KC does it quite well, :eek: But, yeah again. You should just practice with it and try to ensure you're performing the grip correctly if it doesn't feel right, or you're really suffering distance, try to find some more pics and stuff. But, I also wouldn't recommend going to this grip for everything either. It's a great grip, but some grips are just as good in proper use..

^^^^ I agree
Switched to the KC "fork" grip a while back and havn't looked back. Recently reinstated the power grip for d and high turnovers with good results. Champ described the grip as similar to holding a fork in an older youtube vid and it seems pretty natural and forgiving to me. You may experience loss of distance...

Latest posts