• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mike C's 2022 Bags

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I've started playing consistently again after having DG take a back seat to other hobbies for a few years.

Usually stick to my small MVP Cell bag, but I'll list what I'd carry in my backpack too.

MVP Cell

175g Soft Electron Ion - Putts.
175g Soft Neutron Proxy - Neutral driving putter.
175g Neutron Entropy - OS driving Putter.

175g Netron Hex - Neutral Mid
178g Neutron Reactor - Slightly OS mid

175g Neutron Crave - Same blue and white one I've thrown for a decade or so. Flips on a full power throw. Favorite line shaper. Flight is more like a Leopard than T bird at this point, it's a birdie machine when thrown on a hyzer flip.
175g Neutron Wrath - Same blue one I've thrown since I got my testers. Still isn't flippy, just has more glide.
175g Neutron Mayhem/b] - Fresh, stable max distance driver

Backpack

175g Soft Proxy - Neutral driving putter.
175g Soft Envy - Slightly OS driving putter.
175g Neutron Entropy - OS driving Putter.

175g Netron Hex - Neutral Mid
178g Neutron Reactor - Slightly OS mid

175g Neutron Crave - Same blue and white one I've thrown for a decade or so. Flips on a full power throw. Favorite line shaper. Flight is more like a Leopard than T bird at this point, it's a birdie machine when thrown on a hyzer flip.
175g Neutron Crave - Fresh x-out that is a little more OS than most fresh Craves. Flies very similar to how I remember Tbirds flying.

175g Neutron Insanity - Understable distance driver
175g Neutron Wrath - Same blue one I've thrown since I got my testers. Still isn't flippy, just has more glide.
175g Neutron Fireball - OS distance driver. Seasoned, still super beefy but has a bit of extra hang time vs a fresh one.

175g Neutron Tenacity - Understable max distance driver.
175g Neutron Mayhem - Seasoned, slightly understable max distance driver.
175g Neutron Mayhem - Fresh, stable max distance.
174g Neutron Dimension - Slightly Overstable max distance driver.

Interested in suggestions.

I have a soft Nomad I've been messing around with. I like the feel and the flight is really close to my Ions, but my putting Ions are worn in to be much softer. I don't think the Ion is ever leaving my bag for putts.

Tried out the Ohm too. It has a nice neutral flight but I'm so used to my Proxy and have them in different stages of wear and they come in soft etc. etc.

I heard they have eclipse Craves and Reactors. I'd really like to get some of those. The Reactor is one of my favorite discs these days.

Also looking for a new bag. Backpacks are overkill. The Cell is about the perfect size for just discs, but trying to carry enough snacks and water for a really long course can be tough. Thinking about going back to a Gorilla Boy if they're still around. My buddy still uses my old one I traded him and it's held up great.

Mike_C, thanks for sharing. I'm just coming back to disc golf after 5-6 year break and I wanted to buy a few new toys. Anyway, long story short, some of the molds I wanted are out of production (looking at you Axis), and there were about 100 new MVP family discs to choose from, as well as several new plastics offering. so I started doing some research and instantly went looking for your Youtube channel. Didn't find much new Disc Golf related videos (not hating, just saying), but I couldn't resist the urge to rewatch all your old test flight videos. I know you never got a lot of views on those, but I really appreciated what you were doing back then and I wanted to share. You sure had me spend a lot of money on MVP discs with those sick throws of yours! You're a beast and your vibe was always great. Makes me happy to know that you're still out there throwing discs.

My post is obviously a stupid "bro love internet drama moment" at this point, but you had a very positive influence on my appreciation of disc golf and desire to get better, and I thought I should share that.

Thanks for sharing your bag set up, your insight is always helpful.

Oh, one last thing, while I'm at it. As I'm trying to figure out my bag set up, I was wondering if it was viable to try and cycle MVP discs (other than in Electron plastic). For instance, I used to cycle through Innova Star plastic and found it pretty effective. And although my bag is mostly MVP now, I kinda stopped throwing only a few months after switching to mostly MVP and none of them are actually beat up/seasoned much past their original point (or so I feel). I don't really have first hand experience as to how effective trying to seasoned through MVP premium plastic is, but I have a feeling I might be chasing something futile. Especially considering I don't play all year round (Winter in Canada can be brutal) and only about two times a weak. I'm wondering if I'd be better served trying to find molds that do what I want out of the box even if it means throwing a greater variety of molds, or if it makes sense to try to beat different discs of the same mold for different spot.
Just to provide an example of what I'm trying, I just ordered 3 Volt (electron, plasma and fission) to pair with my existing Proton Volt. I was hoping to try and break in the Electron into a hyzerflip machine, and so on... I did about the same thing with Tesla, ordering different plastics and weight, cause the mold just feels so confortable to me. You have any thoughts on that matter?

I'm afraid I can't offer much recommandation for your bag set up, but I'm sure you'll have fun figuring it all out.

Interested in suggestions.

I have a soft Nomad I've been messing around with. I like the feel and the flight is really close to my Ions, but my putting Ions are worn in to be much softer. I don't think the Ion is ever leaving my bag for putts.

Tried out the Ohm too. It has a nice neutral flight but I'm so used to my Proxy and have them in different stages of wear and they come in soft etc. etc.

I heard they have eclipse Craves and Reactors. I'd really like to get some of those. The Reactor is one of my favorite discs these days.

Also looking for a new bag. Backpacks are overkill. The Cell is about the perfect size for just discs, but trying to carry enough snacks and water for a really long course can be tough. Thinking about going back to a Gorilla Boy if they're still around. My buddy still uses my old one I traded him and it's held up great.

I tried the Nomad too and went back to Wizards, aka a poor man's Ions so if you like the ion then definitely stay there for putting. As far as throwing putters I really am digging the atom, lately. I like the envy a lot, and I liked the pilots a lot too. But sometimes with envy/entropy (I use a harp) there was some overlap. So I moved to the atom to make a little more distinction for myself.

I'm more of a fan of MVP's 8-speed stuff so I generally skip the 6.5 speed stuff but today I played a course where I felt like there could have been room for something and I think the Relay would be the direction I would take in that slot. I like craves but they sort of get too close to a lot of discs (Volts, Relays, Hex, etc) so I dropped the crave.

I really like the terra and volts. Soon the terra will also come in electron plastic. I cycle volts and keep a terra for the OS stuff and an insanity for the US stuff and longer holes that don't require distance drivers.

Zenith is a new driver which is pretty sweet and has a nice flight similar to a Wraith.

As far as bags go, I also don't use the backpack much anymore and switched to a Carolina Revolution Mini. It's a little on the expensive side for a small bag but it has some big pockets on the sides and two nalgene water bottle sized holders. I usually use one of hte big pockets for two putters and then store what i need in the other large pocket.