• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mike's Bag

mikehatcher8

Tell me your thoughts on my bag!

Overstable Drivers
175 Eco Star XCaliber- for really windy days
172 Star XCaliber- for windy drives and long forehands
171 Star Destroyer- For long S drives
167 Star Boss- Innova sent it to me for free, so Im trying it out

Stable Drivers
171 Star Wraith- My bomb disc, goes the farthest for me
164 Star Wrath- Floppier than my other wraith, long S drives

Understable Drivers
167 Star Valkyrie- Somewhat stable for me, long hyzer flip drives
150 Champion Valkyrie- Hyzer flip tunnel shots
150 Champion Valkyrie- Found this disc, just a back up for me

Utility Discs
175 9x KC Pro Banshee- For big Hyzers, or spike hyzers
170 Star FL- just bought this and trying it out
167 Star Roadrunner- My roller disc, to flippy for anything else for me

Fairway Drivers
175 Star TL- Brand New, stable, and I use it for accurate hyzer routes
172 Star TL- My Ace Disc, long anhyzer shots or dead on accuracy
169 Star TL- My back up TL

Midranges
172 First Run Star Cro- Overstable midrange shots
171 Star Cro- My backup midrange, brand new, goes any line I tell it to
170 Star Cro- My most used midrange, does what I tell it to, trustworthy
177 Star Mako- Brand new, havent used much, but like it so far, straight flyer

Putters
175 Star Aviar- For Long jump putts or upshots
172 Star Rhyno- 90% of my putts are with this, Love this putter

1. how far do you throw and with what style (backhand of forehand)?
2. be prepared for people to tell you to drop some molds
3. be prepared for people to tell you to get a Roc
4. be prepared for people to tell you to get a Comet

at first glance, it looks like you have too many Overstable drivers, but I don't throw fast discs so this may work for you. I also don't think you'll need both the Banshee and the FL. everything else looks fine. but without the first question answered I can't really say more.

Sorry I forgot to put down my throwing style. I throw RHBH, and I throw about 350ft. If I need to get out of trouble I will throw some forehands but not much.
As far as the Banshee and FL you are right...I do not throw the FL much so I have been thinking about taking it out of my bag.

At 350 ft, I would suggest dropping these at least until you can throw the Wraith consistently 400':

Overstable Drivers

Everything else is fine, if those molds work for you. Some may tell you to throw the Roc, but if the Cro works for you why bother?

Yeh I understand where you are coming from...I only throw the XCals when it is really windy. As far as the destroyer I can throw that farther than my wraiths. And the Boss I dont ever use...it was free so its in my bag.

Be wary of the Star Boss too, at 167-168g its made in Innova's "Starlite" material, which produces freakishly overstable Bosses, even though they are lighter.

Do you find much of a distance gap between the Valk and Wraith? I almost feel like you could drop the Valks and cover with the Wraiths and TL's. Just a suggestion.

Yeh the Boss is very overstable for me. As far as the Valks, I love driving with them in tight situations (Coming out of woods). But I cant get alot of accuracy with them thats where my TL's come in!

mebe think about adding a champ TB whenever your TL's get beat, they can move to only covering the understable slot, and that could fill your stable slot, i personally am not a huge fan of the cro, but as previously stated, if it works for you, and you like it, then use it. But to me, the mako is a cro thats wider in diameter, prolly dont need both.

Hatcher23 said:
Tell me your thoughts on my bag!

Overstable Drivers

At the distance you're throwing, dump all of these.

Stable Drivers
171 Star Wraith- My bomb disc, goes the farthest for me
164 Star Wrath- Floppier than my other wraith, long S drives

sound good

Understable Drivers
167 Star Valkyrie- Somewhat stable for me, long hyzer flip drives
150 Champion Valkyrie- Hyzer flip tunnel shots
150 Champion Valkyrie- Found this disc, just a back up for me

keep breaking those in, they'll fly nice!

Utility Discs
175 9x KC Pro Banshee- For big Hyzers, or spike hyzers
170 Star FL- just bought this and trying it out
167 Star Roadrunner- My roller disc, to flippy for anything else for me

Id drop the Banshee and FL for some Firechickens

Fairway Drivers
175 Star TL- Brand New, stable, and I use it for accurate hyzer routes
172 Star TL- My Ace Disc, long anhyzer shots or dead on accuracy
169 Star TL- My back up TL

I'd add a T-chicken or Eagle

Midranges
172 First Run Star Cro- Overstable midrange shots
171 Star Cro- My backup midrange, brand new, goes any line I tell it to
170 Star Cro- My most used midrange, does what I tell it to, trustworthy
177 Star Mako- Brand new, havent used much, but like it so far, straight flyer

At some point, you're going to get sick of the Cros lack of glide and that you can't get it in Champ plastic. Do what I did and dump the Cro, pick up a Buzzz.

Putters
175 Star Aviar- For Long jump putts or upshots
172 Star Rhyno- 90% of my putts are with this, Love this putter

Again, at some point, you'll get sick of the Rhyno's lack of glide. Get a Wizard/Voodoo/Focus.

Thanks for the suggestions! I can launch my xcalibers a long ways but I only use them in th wind. I have a Firebird but never fell in love with it, as well as the teebird, Ill stick with my tl's for now. They seem to be stable for me. I have a buzz as well but it flips over on me too much. I like the cro's because they feel good in my hand and the glide hasnt been a problem yet, i can drive those 250-300 feet just fine. And my rhyno is my baby, ill never get rid of that, i have the avair for glide.

As far as the cros, i feel they are very similar to the rocs. Just a little less glide but the are faster and easier to grip for me. The Mako is a whole different disc as well. The Cros are also great for forehand approaches.

Hatcher23 said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I can launch my xcalibers a long ways but I only use them in th wind. I have a Firebird but never fell in love with it, as well as the teebird, Ill stick with my tl's for now. They seem to be stable for me. I have a buzz as well but it flips over on me too much. I like the cro's because they feel good in my hand and the glide hasnt been a problem yet, i can drive those 250-300 feet just fine. And my rhyno is my baby, ill never get rid of that, i have the avair for glide.

The Z Buzz and Star Cro should be about the same stability. Don't know why you're flipping yours over unless it's a beat X or D.

Seriously though, you do need a good meathook like a Firechicken, Monster, Predator, XXX or Force.

Perhaps a light DX TeeChicken or Eagle to start out with would be good, but you could benefit from having a more stable fairway driver than the TL. Perhaps you could season that Banshee a bit more and use it in the moderately overstable fairway driver role.

Well I threw in my Firebird into my bag and i will try it out tomorrow at the course. My Buzz is a FLX and it was given to me so it is beat a little bit. I threw it in my bag as well for tomorrow, well see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions!

Good to see another poster from West Texas on here! I didn't know there were any courses in Brownwood.

This has already been suggested by others and I will support it that you need something really overstable. I know the West Texas winds and youmost definitely need so
ething to fight them. I've never thrown a Firechicken, but a lot of people like themand you already have one. I'll add another vote for a Predator just because it's my personal favorite.

If you ever come down to Abilene shoot me a PM.

I went and played brady, tx today and the wind was horrible. I brought out my Xcal and was parking 350 ft holes so I think ill keep those in the bag.

Iceman said:
Good to see another poster from West Texas on here! I didn't know there were any courses in Brownwood.

This has already been suggested by others and I will support it that you need something really overstable. I know the West Texas winds and youmost definitely need so
ething to fight them. I've never thrown a Firechicken, but a lot of people like themand you already have one. I'll add another vote for a Predator just because it's my personal favorite.

If you ever come down to Abilene shoot me a PM.

We only have a little 9 whole course here in brownwood. I was actually thinking about coming down to Abilene for a day and playing all the courses. Ill let you know when we do. Thanks for the offer!

Hatcher23 said:
I went and played brady, tx today and the wind was horrible. I brought out my Xcal and was parking 350 ft holes so I think ill keep those in the bag.

We only have a little 9 whole course here in brownwood. I was actually thinking about coming down to Abilene for a day and playing all the courses. Ill let you know when we do. Thanks for the offer!
I'll have to go check out the 9 hole in Brownwood some time. The Brady course is one of my favorite. Yeah we've got three courses here (18, 10, 9) and every Saturday at 2 there's a mini at the 18 hole course Cal Young. No problem brother!

So after many rounds and realizing some of yall were right...I have some new additions to my bag!

New Discs
160 Star Teebird
171 Star Roc
176 Star Roc
170 KC Pro Aviar

I used my rocs and teebirds for the first time yesterday and instantly feel in LOVE!!! Il still keep my cros in for forehand approaches but these discs rule. My teebird screams out of my hand with dead on accuracy without turning over like my TL's. As far as the Aviar...I havent used that yet but ill update on what I think about that later.

Latest posts