• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Modded backpacks->disc backpacks

ovar

Birdie Member
Hi all, just curious if anyone has any stories/pics/ideas about modding a backpack to suit disc golf needs. For instance creating disc storage, drink holders, putting in a frame so that the backpack can be used as a stool.

I was prompted to create this thread after reading about a gorilla boy backpack that cost $200 bucks. Way too expensive. Here is the link.

http://gorilla-boy.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_10&products_id=41

I am interested in this as I have a back pack that needs a good water bottle holder and I don't want to junk it up.

Let's see some good handywork and tips!

i totally agree. . . i have completely thought about taking a little kids ball golf bag and turning it into a disc golf bag. . . just think everytime you set it down the legs pop out and it will stand on its own. in addition you will have a lot of room for discs if you cut one side out and build an accordian system using the frame thats already in the bag.

I say look around, and shop around. Its back to school time and backpacks are everywhere. I was at large grocery store that also sells some clothes and things. They had a really cool looking black backpack, and I got it for use when I take my motorcycle to work. Since you guys said something, I just noticed, it does have a drink holder on the side. I think I paid $7 for it. Just look around and I am sure you will find something.

What I did was just put some safety pins in the zippers so it can't be zipped down all the way, keeps your discs from spilling out and makes the bag more structured. Then I just filled the bag with discs until it maintained shape. I use a Fade crunch though b/c the book bag was too many discs, had no drink holder, and is needed for carrying books now.

for a disc holder, a pair of snips and a dish drying rack work perfectly

snips used to trim the rack of course, but it'll hold the shape and support discs without discs rubbing the stamps off each other...

chair? look at hunting chairs??
i've seena few that are real light, simple and would be easy to attach to/with the bag... but if your comparing to that backpack then buy a stool and work with that cause there is no need to put the cart in front of the horse

One thing I did notice on the gorilla-boy backpack was an internal pvc pipe frame. It looks like that is what created the necessary strength to support a body. I feel this is something that could be done to any backpack. A combination of an internal frame and the dish rack for holding disks would make for a nice combo.

I am in the process of putting something together. I will post pics when it's done.

I encourage other to post pics as well.

I found an old duffel bag around my house and I built a frame out of a trifold poster board presentation thingy. Turned out pretty sweet. I just need to figure out how to separate my discs, and I need to find a small soft 6pac cooler to put in there. Not to bad for free.

I use a camel back has two compartments one for putter and midrange, and one for my drivers, not to mention I have a blatter that contains 3 liters of my preferred beverage to keep me going:p

I use a camel back has two compartments one for putter and midrange, and one for my drivers, not to mention I have a blatter that contains 3 liters of my preferred beverage to keep me going:p

Mike I've bragged about your bag like 3 times on this site already. It wasn't until the last time we played I realized it actually WAS a camelbak and not just something that was shaped the same. I figured it was an out west thing or something :)

\/\/

used one those pull string backpacks all summer for discs, worked like a charm. But it also might be reason I tend to be a one disc golfer.

I want to get a legit bag over the winter, but if I end up using another pull string bag or other backpack it'll be all good since they carry more beers anyways!