• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Overstable Discs?

ArcheType

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm looking to fill the slot that my z pred used to hold, until it beat in to just being about regular stable with alot of fade. I was using a pro-d drone as well, and (as expected) it beat in even quicker

so I figured I'd ask about what the most overstable discs are right now. OOPs too. I want to find something so overstable it will just beat in to less overstable, not stable.

whaddya got?

Spirit, xXx, or if you dont have a huge arm a Flick will act really overstable.

^This

I've also got a Star Monster that has beat in really nice. It's excellent in the wind and works great for spyke hyzers and even some meathook type shots. Even though it has become less stable than it was when I first got it, it hasn't gotten to the point where I can even think about turning it over. You could also try it in Champion plastic if you don't like Star. I can throw it straight and it still fades pretty hard at the end. If I throw it on a hyzer it will go left (RHBH) the whole way. It doesn't skip quite as well for me as a Firebird does, so if you're looking for that in a disc I would go with the Firebird.

i use a pro firebird i found. usually only comes out for windy days or a super hyzer. sometimes sidearm.

Z Flick is about as stable as they come...

Firebirds are also a good choice and the new 12X runs are just as flat (and overstable) as the popular 11X's (and cheaper!).

Nothing is as beefy as a Max from Innova....so stable it serves no purpose to most throwers.

What are you gonna use this disc for....wind OH fadehooks?

IMO, the most overstable driver on the market is a Gateway E Spirit.
The folks over at DGR seem to agree with me.

However, based on my experience with FT Firebirds, they just might be better.

If it were me, I'd just get another Pred, if that's what I was using to begin with.

Drone
xXx
Max

there was a good discussion about true overstable vs. speed overstable discs a few months ago, you may want to look for that. lots of good info.

I have a First Run 172G ESP Force. I have never once been able to turn it over, even if I screwed up my release and threw it on a slight anhyzer angle, it always came back quick. In the summer, it was slightly less stable when it was real hot, but now its basically worthless, meathooks all day. Another one that seems extra overstable to me is a 175G Echo Star Destroyer (released before the new Echo Star stamp for 2010, dont know if that makes a difference). That things feels like throwing a damn brick, and it always hooks. My personal favorite overstable driver is a 175G Star Xcaliber. I have a swirly yellow one thats seasoned very nicely, does just about everything I ask, than i have a flat red one that I pull out for ANYTHING Hyzer. Love those discs!

whippit x. by far the most overstable disc I've ever owned/thrown

yea no kidding. i threw a couple of the AO champ glo whippets and they are PIGS. I think the only way I could throw one more than 250' is to roll it.