• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I think going by the method mentioned above would result in more diversity in the top 10 without certain courses sitting at the top for years at a time.

That would be a good thing IMO.:thmbup:

Flame wars aside, it's nice to see some chatter spurred on by a Louisiana course. They don't get a lot of outside attention.

Lake Claiborne looks awesome. I've been itching to get up there since Whitetail first made its way onto DGCR. It's a long haul for me, about 5 hours each way, so it'll probably have to be an overnight trip, which is what has kept me from making the drive thus far. It'll happen, though, eventually. Need to find someone to make the drive with. Trying to talk my brother into flying down to do it with me. ;)

Qikly,

Claiborne is the most overrated course I've ever played. I think Doof's claim that it's easily better than Creekside is laughable. I'll never understand how a course with so little variety and at least two terrible holes can get over 4. But then again, lots of people complain about open holes. I tend to like the more open ones. So, there's that.

The idea of limiting reviews to the last [insert time limit here] is one I've toyed with. It would only apply to courses that have been on the site for a certain amount of time while also having a certain amount of reviews. If there weren't at least 20 reviews in the last 2 years for a course (or whatever time limit), I'd take all the reviews that do meet that qualification and then just take the next most recent reviews to get to 20 or whatever number.

Someone earlier asked what the top 10 would look like if it was just reviews from the past year. On the annual top courses list, one of the lists is reviews just from the past year. It shakes things up a bit. I think going by the method mentioned above would result in more diversity in the top 10 without certain courses sitting at the top for years at a time.

I like this idea. :thmbup:

Why don't you review the course and share your thoughts there? The sight is Disc Golf Course Review, not Disc Golf Message Board Course Review.

It's not something I enjoy doing. I play lots of courses once, and do not feel like I could give it a fair rating on one play. I took the time to prepare a review of a course, only to see it disappear because it was determined that the course was extinct even though it still exists and it still the best 18 holes in that complex. Oh, and this is very much a message board :lol:

Qikly,

Claiborne is the most overrated course I've ever played. I think Doof's claim that it's easily better than Creekside is laughable. I'll never understand how a course with so little variety and at least two terrible holes can get over 4. But then again, lots of people complain about open holes. I tend to like the more open ones. So, there's that.

Thanks for your thoughts, PM. I'm super curious about this course. If it was two hours closer, I'd have already played it, but 5 hours each way is a hike, especially since I'd be making the drive alone.

Doof and I don't exactly see eye to eye on course design, based on what I've read of his reviews, but I do tend to like tighter quarters than what we often get in LA. Only one way to find out. I'm already thinking that I should try and hit Claiborne in Feb or Mar during Mardi Gras or spring break.

Thanks for your thoughts, PM. I'm super curious about this course. If it was two hours closer, I'd have already played it, but 5 hours each way is a hike, especially since I'd be making the drive alone.

Doof and I don't exactly see eye to eye on course design, based on what I've read of his reviews, but I do tend to like tighter quarters than what we often get in LA. Only one way to find out. I'm already thinking that I should try and hit Claiborne in Feb or Mar during Mardi Gras or spring break.

Not alone. You meet me and Doof and we drive up to the area. Play Claiborne then the real class of the area, Bistineau.

Play Claiborne then the real class of the area, Bistineau.

I played Claiborne and Bistinueau on consecutive days, and found the finished Claiborne course (Whitetail) to be a significantly better course than Bistinueau. But that is just one opinion. From your comment you seem to prefer Bistinueau over Claiborne?

That is why I think the strength of this site is a lot of different people with different viewpoints reviewing courses. It seems to take 20+ reviews before things even out from the initial excitement, local pride, course revisions, etc.

The idea of limiting reviews to the last [insert time limit here] is one I've toyed with. It would only apply to courses that have been on the site for a certain amount of time while also having a certain amount of reviews. If there weren't at least 20 reviews in the last 2 years for a course (or whatever time limit), I'd take all the reviews that do meet that qualification and then just take the next most recent reviews to get to 20 or whatever number.

Someone earlier asked what the top 10 would look like if it was just reviews from the past year. On the annual top courses list, one of the lists is reviews just from the past year. It shakes things up a bit. I think going by the method mentioned above would result in more diversity in the top 10 without certain courses sitting at the top for years at a time.

I also like the idea of an "annual" Top 10 list that only includes reviews from the past year.
Can you post the current results here on this thread so we can get an idea how different it is? Is it too much trouble to do both lists? Or maybe just release the annual list each January 1st? Whatever you decide to do, many thanks for all you do.

I also like the idea of an "annual" Top 10 list that only includes reviews from the past year.
Can you post the current results here on this thread so we can get an idea how different it is? Is it too much trouble to do both lists? Or maybe just release the annual list each January 1st? Whatever you decide to do, many thanks for all you do.

Doesn't this site already do that, somewhere? I know it used to, but can't find it now....unless it's just available early in the year.

This sounds like a great idea.

are you sure?

"The following table displays the highest rated courses on Disc Golf Course Review as of 12/31/2014 based ONLY ON REVIEWS ADDED IN 2014 for each course.

Courses must have at least 8 reviews to qualify for our best reviewed courses list."

See the tab "2014 only"

(The default, when I clicked on the link above, was for "all reviews")

Over the summer, I had the poor fortune to play the nine-hole course at Bogue Chitto State Park. After wandering around not being able to find some of the natural tees, finding a dead end after one basket (there was literally no path through the brush/bramble/briar patch to the next tee), a confusing confluence of three or four holes and nothing special with respect to any of the hole designs, I noticed that you, at four stars, had rated it higher than at least one of the better 18-hole courses in the state. Not "eye to eye" might be a bit of an understatement.

1167289.jpg

Blue Ribbon Pines takes two shots to the nuts! Ouch.

P.S. Qikly>Doofenshmirtz

Latest posts