• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Moving up to the Big Boy Drivers

I really like my champ tern and my star tern. They compliment each other well.

Good question. I have a seasoned S-PD that I generally release flat. It gives a bit of an S turn and gets out between 340'-360'. Sometimes I'll hyzer-flip it, but generally a flat release.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I have a friend with a few destroyers so maybe I'll check those out. Not sure I want to deal with the variations of them, though, when I go to the store. Might check out the Trespass... love some dynamic molds and Swedish plastic.

For those of you suggesting the Force... it's always been my understanding that it's a bit of a meathook unless you have some crazy big arm. I'm getting better, but I'm not throwing 450' or anything! Am I mistaken?

Yeah Destroyers can be nice but you have to deal with all the variation with the mold, so you have to know what you're looking for. I don't have a lot of experience with different high speed drivers, but I'd suggest a Star Wraith. Once seasoned up a bit, you should get more turn out of it compared to your PD, making it better for distance lines. PD's can go a really long way though.

Tern it up, brotha!

After years of trying to force distance drivers with uneven results, I can happily say the Terns are the first true distance driver I can work on distance lines. I'm still more comfortable with control drivers, but Terns net me big, controlled distance. A fresh champ will have enough stability to not turn and burn on you, but still be extremely dependable and workable in various lines. They don't stand up to a strong headwind though, so something more OS will also be needed. I can't speak on that, since I can only throw my Giant about 350 feet...downhill. LOL.

I use the Champion Destroyer, but if you're just starting on the higher speed drivers, try the Krait.

Latest posts