• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Moving up to the Big Boy Drivers

Joemic

Par Member
Hey guys,

I know there are a bunch of threads like this, but I'm not entirely sure what to search for since each recommendation is different than others. Feel free to shut this down and tell me to search more ;)

Anyway, I followed the advice of some people on these forums and cut out the high speed drivers from my bag for a while. I was only throwing like 275'-300' on a good day at that point, but I've been working hard on my distance and now I can get PD's out to around 360'.

Now that I can get my PD out to that distance, I think it's time to add a distance driver in... just straight up max D. I love the PD as a control driver, but I want to see if I can get a little more distance out of a faster speed.

I've been using a Lace, but it's turning and burning a bit so I want a recommendation for a relatively stable distance driver faster than my PD's.

Let the "I love ___ disc" begin! :popcorn:

Star Destroyer.
Yup. Sirius Scorpius are essentially Star Destroyers as well.

Dynamic Discs Trespass is Destroyerish and Westside Swords are slightly flippier Destroyerish discs.

But really get a Star Destroyer.

I'm pretty similar to you power and disc wise. (I use an S-PD)

My go to distance driver is a Gold Line Flow, but it's a shade understable. I also carry an echo Star Destroyer, and I think that's going to be the strong consensus answer here. But one thing I will say is that a Destroyer, even a Star, is going to need a little seasoning to not just be a meathook for you. (at least that's been my experience)

The Echo Star Destroyer I have is relatively seasoned (I actually found it unmarked on a course) and it flies great. I also own 2 more Star Destroyers, but I don't get as good distance out of them, and they're both close to new. Just and FYI and my personal experience.

Used Star Destroyer from your local PIAS or shop. Trespass in Biofuzion could also fill that roll.

You could step up to a wraith, and if that's not good enough go one more step up and get a destroyer. One other disc I would recommend would be the tern, I have heard nothing but good things from my friends about it as a disc with mad glide and huge s curves if you have space to throw it.

If you have a bit smaller hands, an upper 160s Star Wraith will work well for all out max distance.

What kind of pd? On a distance line or thrown flat like a regular drive? I feel that's a pretty relevant question before suggesting something. it will help us understand what kind of stability will benefit you distance and control wise.

I second the ESP force in 165-171g area. I have two of them and they kicked my destroyer out of my bag the second round I owned them. Way more dependable and consistent in my opinion.

I have never loved Destroyers, but I understand the love they get. I have only owned one(a pro) and after I nailed a tree it flew like dung.

I'd try a champ or star XCal they wil not turn over and have very good overall distance.

What kind of pd? On a distance line or thrown flat like a regular drive? I feel that's a pretty relevant question before suggesting something. it will help us understand what kind of stability will benefit you distance and control wise.

Good question. I have a seasoned S-PD that I generally release flat. It gives a bit of an S turn and gets out between 340'-360'. Sometimes I'll hyzer-flip it, but generally a flat release.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I have a friend with a few destroyers so maybe I'll check those out. Not sure I want to deal with the variations of them, though, when I go to the store. Might check out the Trespass... love some dynamic molds and Swedish plastic.

For those of you suggesting the Force... it's always been my understanding that it's a bit of a meathook unless you have some crazy big arm. I'm getting better, but I'm not throwing 450' or anything! Am I mistaken?

A max weight Z force is real OS. I carry 3 forces in my bag a max weight Z for headwinds and overstable distance, a slightly beat up 171g ESP that is pretty close to dead straight out to about 430' and a 164g ESP that I can either hyzer flip to straight or get a nice turn out of knowing it will come back. My destroyers were turning too much and not coming back and never acted right in wind of any type which is why I will never throw one again.

Good question. I have a seasoned S-PD that I generally release flat. It gives a bit of an S turn and gets out between 340'-360'. Sometimes I'll hyzer-flip it, but generally a flat release.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I have a friend with a few destroyers so maybe I'll check those out. Not sure I want to deal with the variations of them, though, when I go to the store. Might check out the Trespass... love some dynamic molds and Swedish plastic.

For those of you suggesting the Force... it's always been my understanding that it's a bit of a meathook unless you have some crazy big arm. I'm getting better, but I'm not throwing 450' or anything! Am I mistaken?

i haven't thrown a force, but i generally used PPD for a similar shot as what you listed; i got them out 400' on a good rip. i'd say you're ready for another speed up, yeah. if you can hand pick a destroyer with a good lower PLH go that route since those bomb out of the box or maybe try something you know will be neutral/understable so you can make sure you get the max distance possible. a destroyer can be incredibly overstable and many start initially OS.

if you're going straight up max distance a cannon might serve you well. i threw p DD2's for a bit too as well as an elite x nuke. laugh it up, the nuke went flippy as hell pretty quick BUT . . . it is the only driver i have thrown over 500'. they have megadomes and they will never come out of the sky. in the summer/fall i would consider myself lucky to hit 450' and this thing just crushed everything else.

i'm going on a bit of a distance driver odyssey again myself, but it's pretty safe bet that cannons go boom. i threw one a while ago when it was too early for me to throw them. unfortunately the distance drivers that larger arms consider "stable, yet far-flying" are still too overstable at your distance so right now-hell, many are for me too. it might be tough to find that happy balance, as you see with the lace (which i thought looked flippy too, fwiw). perhaps try a champ tern? i haven't thrown one but people seem to love them.

Last edited:

Latest posts