• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MSt High School Demonstrations...

Hoey1

Double Eagle Member
After doing a bunch of these now, I feel we're starting to finally get some sort of rhythm down. I'll typically bring 4-5 Baskets, 60+ beginner friendly loaners, lids, ctp flags for "tees," along with a whole bunch of enthusiasm, and we're ready to have some fun.

Typically, we'll have the area the size of a baseball field to work with, and up goes a temporary course in a counter-clockwise fashion. After going over the basics of how to grip a disc, and the different types of shots (not forgetting the mandatory wicked beat up Epic throw), the students form a line, and everybody gets a turn to throw it as far, and in some cases, as high as possible. Students then form evenly sized groups and try their hand at playing a disc golf course. Some just go through the motions, some really seem to have a good time with it, and there always seems to be a small percentage of students who could kick all our butts in the future if they chose to stick with it.

So far we've hit:
*David Prouty High School (Spencer) ~100 students
*Oxford High School (Oxford) ~120 students
*Leicester High School (Leicester) ~65 students
*Doherty High School (Worcester) ~90 students
*Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School (Marlborough) ~140 students
*Millbury Jr/Sr High School (Millbury) ~120 students
*Quabbin Regional High School (Barre) ~50 students

So I thought this thread would be a good reminder to go out there and practice your Pozzy's... because there could be a good crop of youngsters ascending the ranks in our future.

Great stuff. You should ask edge for some help. Sometimes I think they make ultra light disc unintentionally and give them away because they really can't sell them. Here in Rock Hill they have this disc golf weekend thing and I have a 123 stingray and a 135 aviar. They came from innova just giving them out. I'm sure if you paid shipping they would send you some of these stupid lightweight discs. (They can't sell many if any disc that light.) They're too light for my girlfriend to throw, but she throws in the 240's. <3

For some reason, for the past month I've been debating in my head trying to start up a disc golf team at my old high school. My mom is a teacher there and has been there for 30 years. SHe's also the cheerleading coach. So I know I'd have answers to find the resources I'd need. I've thought about doing a quick lil 30-45 minute seminar, what I aspects of the game I would go thru with them... Show some BOMB drives with me and a couple of buddies who would be interested. Anything to get them involved. And try to get some of them to enter into our local tourney under Junior/Novice or something.
I've got a couple of guys who would be interested in helping. But I'd have to wait till spring. I really can't get off work early from the 7-5 workday, so I'd have to figure all that out.
But doing some High School demos would be a great start. Bring your stuff, do your thing and then plant the seed.

Assabet Valley was such a great time today... students were well behaved, and again I think nearly everybody had a really good time! 5 classes for about 140 kids... and much more manageable class sizes. Teachers were really into and steered the students into the right direction... mainly, keeping behind the person who throwing.

First post updated to include Millbury Jr/Sr High School today. Another great bunch of students. Again, amazed to see some throw surprisingly far like it's no big deal.

Excited also for the fact that a disc golf club shall be created here in the coming days...

First post updated to include Quabbin Regional High up in Barre, MA. A couple of 84 minute classes with about 25 students in each... the perfect mix of time and number of students. Got to nurture the already talented students, while helping and encouraging the students that were having a harder time with it.

Some great talent up there... starting to really believe we're all in a lot of trouble (at least locally) if these students really decide to pick up the sport.

By my calculations, that's roughly 685 students so far.

Yup, that's a toot.

Great... now Pyramids and Maple Hill are gonna be packed with snot-nosed kids. Thanks a lot, Hoey. :evil:

But seriously, thanks a lot, Hoey. :)

Latest posts