• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MS High School Clinics...

Hoey1

Double Eagle Member
So...

We're starting with local area high schools, and putting on disc golf clinics/demonstrations during one or some of their gym classes. If it's not us, who else is going to do this, at least in our area (don't say edge :wink: smart alec)?

We are also going to set up a High School League so that interested students at each of the different schools can meet up, and play for bragging rights. Today, we went to David Prouty HS just west of Leicester, in Spencer.

We had a great time showing the close to 100 students what disc golf is all about. We set up 4, and then later 5 baskets for a temporary course around the perimeter of the baseball field, counter clockwise of course. We also had 2 baskets set up for a putting demonstration, while the other half played the course... did it seem like punishment to the putterers, we're not sure, but we scrapped the putting part for the second, shorter class.

I know that putting feels like punishment for me. A couple of these students were putting better than I was... but that shouldn't be a big shock if you've ever seen me "putt."

What we do know for sure though, is that a decent majority had a good time, and there was legitimate excitement in the eyes of some of the kids.

We ended up bringing a ton of Wizards, enough for everyone, along with a boatload of 150 Warriors, which happens to be a very good beginner disc, even with fairly gusty winds as we saw today... straight flight with a dependable (not huge) fade. They didn't even want to turn over in a headwind.

We've got a few other local schools almost ready to give us a date for our little demonstration. Our High School league will become a reality.

Hoey beats Jason 10-11 on the temporary course.
He was sooo humiliated. :twisted:

That's really cool to hear. I wish more of these types of things were going on. Even if you can get 10-15 girls and boys from a 500 person high school, you can really get something going within the school system.

That's pretty awesome, wish I was good enough to where I thought I could do something like that.

Yehosha said:
That's pretty awesome, wish I was good enough to where I thought I could do something like that.

This website helped a bunch!

Like I think I might have said, it was pretty windy. Jason would be explaining the different types of shots while I would demonstrate each. Now... I throw 380-400 on flat ground, so... a good arm, but there are people who outdrive me. Nice to hear some ooh's and ahh's on some of the throws, which was pretty cool, because they weren't the greatest shots ever... did throw an Epic faar though, started to fade and the wind pushed it flat again for another ~100ft.

Yeah, that last part was a small toot of the horn... it was a good time.

I started a club at my highschool, this will be our second year. I have friends that I play with from nearby highschools and I heard that a new club was starting at another local highschool so I am working on getting a big group to go togethor and eventually play competitions and stuff like that. Thanks for the idea, I think we will have a demonstration next week

Hoey said:
Yehosha said:

This website helped a bunch!

Like I think I might have said, it was pretty windy. Jason would be explaining the different types of shots while I would demonstrate each. Now... I throw 380-400 on flat ground, so... a good arm, but there are people who outdrive me. Nice to hear some ooh's and ahh's on some of the throws, which was pretty cool, because they weren't the greatest shots ever... did throw an Epic faar though, started to fade and the wind pushed it flat again for another ~100ft.

Yeah, that last part was a small toot of the horn... it was a good time.

Now you throw epics?? You guys have been doing some great stuff lately. From this to the driving clinic, Newton Hill etc.... Wish I could have made the clinic last sat. But I had to wait for my heating system to get fixed up. The ol... we'll be there between 9 and 11 and don't show up till 1.

Latest posts