• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multi color dip dyes

MoundsPounds

Bogey Member
I'm doing a dye that has purple blue and yellow on it. Its on a white disk. I know go lightest to darkest, but my concern is after blue when I do yellow, it will turn my blue to green won't it? Do you guys just vinyl it off again or hand paint it. I'd prefer not to hand paint it if i could but i will if i must.

Either method will work, depending on what you find easier. You could get away with a very faint yellow overlaid on top of a very bold blue, but it will turn to green the deeper you try to go with the yellow.

I've use the clear contact paper before so I could see what I was cutting around. I've never used the contact paper for a dip dye though.

I've done a bunch of multi color dip-dyes with contact paper. Just make sure you let the dye rest between colors. If the dye is not completely absorbed into the plastic, the adhesive can pull off the dye sitting on the surface and make the color look blotchy. I think the dip temperature plays a part in that as well (cooler dye = more time, but less chance of the existing dye bleeding back out to the contact paper)

Also, if you cut on the disc (I find it way easier), only apply enough pressure to cut the contact paper. I've never cut all the way through a disc, but if you push too hard, you can definitely see the cuts in the plastic...and that could affect the tournament legality of the disc.

All that said, I'd live with those risks any day over ruining the color by not re-masking. It seems like any time I take a shortcut, I only find new ways to disappoint myself.

Yes, you will ruin the blue by dyeing yellow over it! I love love love doing layered dips but it only truly works with reds n yellows. When I do CO flag designs on discs I always layer the red and yellow for the circle but either remask or hand paint the blue.

Here's two of my team discs that I did, one with the re-mask and the other was my first attempt at layering yellow on blue, which I'll never try again. Still came out alright, just not what I wanted at all. But that's why I experimented on my disc first and changed my tactics for the ones I did for my team.

Attachments

• PA221907.jpg
    PA221907.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 67
  • PA221915.jpg
    PA221915.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 55
These are two that I've posted in the Dye a Day Thread before, but the Phoenix is completely layered black-red-orange-yellow and the Octopus is black-lilac-pink

Attachments

• PA201904.jpg
    PA201904.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 59
  • PB111938.jpg
    PB111938.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and hand painted it. Nothing near the level you guys are at but it should look good. Thanks for the help. Pic to come.