• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Amp

Crosseyed0811

Eagle Member
Details guys??? Come on! :p

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=447504041973143&set=a.252934054763477.64357.137972412926309&type=1&theater

Same. To throw my volt over 360' is already requiring like 45 degrees of hyzer... An even less stable disc is not even going to be worth trying.

Ryan C said:
Same. To throw my volt over 360' is already requiring like 45 degrees of hyzer... An even less stable disc is not even going to be worth trying.

That's definitely a dud. I didn't end up caring for the disc much but they're not "normally" anywhere near that flippy. Mine can be thrown with a touch of anhyzer on a relatively low line farther than that without burning out.

The Amp is pushing the limits of what a "fairway driver" is here, being an understable speed 9.

Ive thrown 3 Volts. 2 of them flew like a Teebird, my other one flies like my firebird. All stable to OS. Ive heard many people say the same but Ive also heard a few people say theirs is flippy. Has anyone else seen inconsistencies with the stability of the Volts? If the amp is truely US than Ill be giving it a try

What color/weight are these flippy Volts? Mine are all stable to slightly overstable. My main Volt (175 dayglow yellow) I use like a star EX. It's got just a touch of push at high speeds to help it glide forward but it stays true to it's line of release. It fades enough to be predictable (comparable to star EX). My lighter ones are more overstable (hot pink 172, blue 170), but not significantly.

My two that have just a touch of fade are white and pink @ 170g. The OS one is dayglow @ 173g

CatPredator said:
That's definitely a dud. I didn't end up caring for the disc much but they're not "normally" anywhere near that flippy. Mine can be thrown with a touch of anhyzer on a relatively low line farther than that without burning out.

The Amp is pushing the limits of what a "fairway driver" is here, being an understable speed 9.
I agree. I've thrown five different ones from 168-172g and they're all identical in flight and just have a lazy S curve to them when thrown flat. Haven't seen a flippy Volt yet and I can flip some discs when I get a little OAT-y. :)

And I agree on pushing the limits, but at the same time, it does seem to take lower power throws pretty well. I still only have 325' distance or so and my brother-in-law tops out at 250'-ish and he got a reasonable flight from it too.

So I tried a friends brand new Volt's. And i def. concur with the understable bit if you can throw 375+. With hyzer they would flip up and over, and come back at the end. But for the slot, I would prefer Orion LF's or PD's

My volts are 172 pink flat ones and they get pretty flippy when I throw them out there past 360' or so which since I wanted them to possibly replace my SOLFs it was not what I was looking for.

Frank Delicious said:
My volts are 172 pink flat ones and they get pretty flippy when I throw them out there past 360' or so which since I wanted them to possibly replace my SOLFs it was not what I was looking for.

I watched him throw this, and he's right. It's not Roadrunner flippy, but nowhere near stable enough to replace OLF's or PD's. I threw it once, but with too much nose up to get a good read on it. Even then it didn't hyzer out immediately like a more stable mold would.

My guess is there's some duds in the batch.

Back to the OP - IMO, they need to come out with a more stable Volt instead of a roller disc. Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm not switching fairway molds unless Teebirds get vulcanized.

I'm not yet convinced that MVP has any strength going into the drivers market. I know many here at DGR have been pining for such, but I'm not really sure if that's justified. And if the "good ones" are like Teebirds or Firebirds, then they aren't a disc that was worth re-inventing the wheel for, since we already have them.

My Volt needs 4-5 degrees to flip to flat at 370-380' in rear wind. So far i've been busy at work so i have not had another chance to throw it. I think it is 168 red. I've not seen an SEX break into as flippy than this disc is when new.

JHern said:
I'm not yet convinced that MVP has any strength going into the drivers market. I know many here at DGR have been pining for such, but I'm not really sure if that's justified. And if the "good ones" are like Teebirds or Firebirds, then they aren't a disc that was worth re-inventing the wheel for, since we already have them.

My Volt is better than a TB or EX, hands down. It could easily replace either one of those, yet could not itself be replaced by either.

Fightingthetide said:
Frank Delicious said:

I watched him throw this, and he's right. It's not Roadrunner flippy, but nowhere near stable enough to replace OLF's or PD's. I threw it once, but with too much nose up to get a good read on it. Even then it didn't hyzer out immediately like a more stable mold would.

My guess is there's some duds in the batch.

Back to the OP - IMO, they need to come out with a more stable Volt instead of a roller disc. Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm not switching fairway molds unless Teebirds get vulcanized.

Every SOLF I've thrown has had at least as much high speed turn as my Volts, and some PDs as well. Are yours the light pink? That is the one Volt I had that would flip a bit unpredictably (which is why it now rests at the bottom of a lake). My others are not what anyone would call flippy.

There are obviously some Volts out there that are less stable than desired. I imagine MVP will be trying to tweak things so that they are coming out more consistently stable since they are releasing an understable driver that is the same speed.

discspeed said:
My Volt is better than a TB or EX, hands down. It could easily replace either one of those, yet could not itself be replaced by either.

them there are fightin' words sir!

Thanks for the triple post defending MVP. My volts are the super bright pink ones. I might revisit volts down the road if I can win one or something but between the shallow grip and the flippiness of the ones i have I just can't see myself spending more money on them.

As for the Amp I think it is an odd choice for the next disc but I guess they are trying to target the casual crowd who needs less stable discs which I think can work. I've seen lots of casuals throwing Ions and anodes lately as they love the sturdiness of them on the short rocky courses they usually play.

Latest posts