• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Black Hole Pro - rust?

sniperd

Hey guys!
I've just got the MVP Black Hole Pro and I was planning on just leaving it outside all year long (I live in New Hampshire, plenty of snow). I see it's zinc plated (I think) I'm wondering if I should oil/coat/put a BBQ cover on the basket/bring it inside/etc.?
Ideally I just want to leave it outside all the time. I'd be OK if it in 5 years there was a little rust on it, but I don't want it to fall apart. I'm find with spraying some kind of protectant on it once and a while as well.

What are your guys thoughts? Thanks!

:)

Everything on the approved list is showing as "painted steel". As long as the paint is intact, you shouldn't have to worry about it. If it chips though, you probably want to repaint as it's exposed. I have witnessed first hand with my Ching Chainmaster how quickly a non-galvanized/painted steel basket can rust so I would say that you will want to do some periodic spot checks and repair any rust you see immediately.

Hm! Good call out. Maybe I'll just toss a BBQ cover over it when not in use, can't hurt right?

won't condensation get in there tho?

I was kind of surprised to hear that this basket is not designed for longevity while outdoors... think you just have to spot check and paint as Tbird is saying

FWIW most practice baskets are no different. Many of which cost even cost more $.

You basically have to pay 2x the price of a an MVP pro for course baskets if leaving outside is desired.

Mine have rusted at weird joints I didn't expect to rust and din't prep. Lack of care and consideration on my part, not cleaning off properly after events. Chains and all painted parts have been fine, it's some of the spot weld areas that have started to go.

Clear enamel works great. I use it on metal furniture/lights/decorations for listings or landscapes etc.

Id think a small little can would go a long way with foam brush touching up welds.

ok thanks, good call, now just need to get my lazy a55 into gear to do it!

FWIW most practice baskets are no different. Many of which cost even cost more $.

You basically have to pay 2x the price of a an MVP pro for course baskets if leaving outside is desired.

Agreed. But that's what suprised me the most from my cheap modified InStep basket. I had that basket for almost 5yrs and would leave it outside all summer, only bringing it inside for winter. And that basket was completely rust free when I sold it earlier this summer.

We'll see if the MVP holds up as well. If not, no worries as I didn't expect the InStep to handle the elements that well. If/when my MVP starts to show it's age, I plan on upgrading to a course quality basket and be done with it.

so why is this called a Pro basket if it's just a practice basket? Not saying I'm not ignorant of the MVP line-up, but the "Pro" got me thinking it was meant for a course... or practice if you'd like.

They liked the names precision practice pro and portal? Lol. I can see some confusion i guess but doesnt really matter.

I think just hitting the weld spots with an outdoor paint will take care of any potential issues. That's the only place I've seen rust after mine has sat out for a couple months. Honestly, I'll probably leave it out in the winter, too, so I'll double-check to see if anything new has popped up. For the cost of these baskets, I'm impressed with the chain quality and wouldn't expect the finish to be 100% perfect and durable. You don't get powder coating for this price.

That sounds like a good idea...

I have a bunch of the DiscNation Liberties... which were later taken over by Salient... so I got two of the Salient ones recently... The basket itself looks fine and in similar quality to the pre-Salients I have, but I think the paint is not as good... so I may do what has been suggested here.

Latest posts