• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Patent

Thanks for posting! That's awesome as it provides insight into their process. And it covers discs up to 30 cm and 200g... So full sized lid coming at some point?!?

26. The disc of claim 1 wherein the maximum overall weight of the disc is 200 grams.

27. The disc of claim 1 wherein the maximum overall weight of the disc is 200 grams and the maximum diameter of the disc is 30 centimeters.

Thanks for posting! That's awesome as it provides insight into their process. And it covers discs up to 30 cm and 200g... So full sized lid coming at some point?!?

Not necessarily. Just covers maximum PDGA regulations. Have to make sure the patent covers all reasonable possibilities.

I also want to congratulate Chad, Brad, and the whole MVP gang for getting this approved. :thmbup::thmbup:

Ha just making sure you aren't on the edge of your seat for the 1.0mm class forever.

But now that I think about it...a slow catch disc that can handle a full power throw without needing 70 degrees of hyzer would be awesome...

Seems like the patent was granted. (Did I miss this posted here?)

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...XT&p=1&S1=9,731,216&OS=9,731,216&RS=9,731,216

Does this mean anything for other overmolds on the market?

Edit:

Just realized the thread title makes it look like they have a new disc called the Patent. :\

It looks like that the patent covers the way mvp does things. At least thats what it appears to say at the very bottom. So it sounds much like the innova thumbtrack where the way is covered not the ability to have a aid to the thumb at least in the case of the thumbtrack. I could be wrong but thats at least how i interpreted it. So as long as the bonding style and density of plastics dont mimic mvp then a company should have the ability to use a overmolding process.

In my limited understanding of current overmolds and patents, it seems like innova and lat 64 won't ha e to change anything because they dont put extra weight in their rim.

This is pretty neat!
I haven't seen MVP promote this, which surprises me.

I got the link off the bottom of their website. So they are promoting it, very quietly.

I would imagine Innova would negotiate some sort of licencing if they are on the edge (overmold?) of infringement, just to avoid a potential issue.

"or a weighting product may be carried between the hub and the ring. "

interested on how this would work......

I'm pretty sure, not 100%, that Lat64 uses the same bonding techniques. The design of their overmolds is near identical to the original MVP discs. I think MVP has since changed the design of the key on the core, not sure when they did that. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out, whether it's both the weighting agent AND design and molding process, or if it's an OR.

I kind of take it as an OR based on the fact that both implementations are mentioned in the "Brief Summary:"

A flying disc according to one implementation includes a hub composed of polymeric material and including a central axis, a flight plate extending in a direction transversely with respect to the central axis, and a hub rim. The disc also includes a ring composed of polymeric material and coupled to the hub rim, wherein the hub and the ring have different specific gravities.

According to another implementation, a weighted flying disc includes a hub composed of polymeric material and including a central axis, a flight plate extending in a direction transversely with respect to the central axis, and a hub rim. The disc also includes a ring composed of polymeric material coupled to at least a portion of the hub rim, and a weighting product carried between the ring and the hub rim.

According to a further implementation, a weighted flying disc includes a hub composed of polymeric material and including a central axis, a flight plate extending in a direction transversely with respect to the central axis, and a hub rim. The disc also includes a ring composed of polymeric material and coupled to the hub rim, and a weighting product embedded in at least one of the hub or the ring.​

I would imagine Innova would negotiate some sort of licencing if they are on the edge (overmold?) of infringement, just to avoid a potential issue.

I would guess that Innova is out of the spectrum because their process is quite different. Lat64, I think, may be in a little bit of trouble since their process is, I think, exactly the same

I would guess that Innova is out of the spectrum because their process is quite different. Lat64, I think, may be in a little bit of trouble since their process is, I think, exactly the same

I agree. Unfortunately this will probably stir up quite the war of words between fanboy camps. :doh::wall:...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I agree. Unfortunately this will probably stir up quite the war of words between fanboy camps. :doh::wall:...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

It'll be interesting to see for sure. I mean, the patent has been pending for years and I would assume that Lat64 knew that, and they still took the risk of copying MVP.

It'll be interesting to see for sure. I mean, the patent has been pending for years and I would assume that Lat64 knew that, and they still took the risk of copying MVP.

I don't think they use different densities so it should be fine?

I don't think they use different densities so it should be fine?

I don't know anything about plastic, but I would guess that opto and gold line are 2 different densities since they're 2 different plastics. I could be completely wrong on that, I'm just guessing

I don't know anything about plastic, but I would guess that opto and gold line are 2 different densities since they're 2 different plastics. I could be completely wrong on that, I'm just guessing

The density ranges for core/overmold in the patent are 1.0-1.14 and 1.15-1.25, so that is a significant difference. However in the opener they generalize 0.92-1.25 and 0.96-5.0...which obviously overlaps. I don't know enough about patents to know what range is patented and what is just an explanation, and what other companies can use that is or is not a "different" density between core and overmold. They seem to be focusing on there being a weighing agent and density difference though. Again I'm not experienced with patents and patent law.

Last edited: