• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Proton tips

opeld

I've only tried dyeing Innova discs, but recently got two MVP blanks that I want to dye. I've previously used the formula from customdiscgolfdyes so I don't know where to start with this new plastic. I looked through the techniques but couldn't find any definitive answers. Is finding Jacquard iDye my only solution?

Only? Prob not. Best in terms of cost & ease of obtaining vs quality. Probably.

What kind of dye did you have in mind?

I just want to do a simple one color, black, so I don't know what kind of dye to use.

i dye poly is easiest solution. rather than hunting down older rit. For a complete color change id suggest a bottom dye. looks cool on protron gives you the black color and a cool effect. cannot explain it you have to do it to see what im talking about.

I ended up getting really lucky and my mom had some scarlet RIT from 10+ years ago and i was able to use that method.
tumblr_mnp7gyrGyT1qebgruo1_500.jpg

I'll keep in mind the other suggestions for my next dyeing project.
Thanks everyone for the help.

You may try and ask Marshall Street, I know I have seen some good proton dyes from them.
Rit or iDye Poly, for the most part, and I'd recommend iDye because it sets both faster and darker. (Which means less time for bleeds to form, or worse, dreaded heat rashes from trying to force Rit to go a little darker.) One packet of iDye will last me for about a hundred dyes, so you shouldn't need more than one.

I still use Scarlet Rit instead of iDye Poly Red for most applications, because iDye red sets incredibly fast. Which is good, unless you want to do some shade of red that isn't "very very very bold red."

BTW, opeld, nice work.

for proton i try to stay with iDye poly. I'm finding that RIT dyes done on proton plastic blur much faster. I did 2 dyes a while back one in idye and one in RIT and after 5 months the RIT lines look slightly fuzzy while the idye lines look very crisp. You will always see a little bit of blur over a long duration on soft proton plastics, but i am very happy with how iDye poly keeps.