• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

^^^ What he said. Just got my Volts, Black 171 and White 174. Both super sexy. About to get stormed on... but I'm going out to throw anyway. ^_^

picture.php

So, I went to my local shop to "just check them out" and.. oops! I left with two. Both 175 since I didn't see any significantly lighter ones. They feel, just, amazing in my hand. It was too stormy crappy to go throw 'em right away, but tomorrow - tomorrow's lookin good. :D

I've been throwing my Volts almost every day since I got them, and strangely I've noticed them behaving more stable than they were the first few days I had them. They are no longer flipping for me at all unless into a headwind or on throws over 350'. They still hold a turn with very little coaxing in terms of anhyzer on release, but they are nowhere even close to understable. I'm pretty sure this is attributable to my release getting cleaner as I get used to the feel of ripping the Volts. I probably had a micro amount of OAT when we first started testing.

I would now rate the Volt: 9/6/-1/2 on a 400' drive...definitely not as much high speed turn as I initially thought.

Tore my first chunk out of one of my Volt's wing yesterday...Spiked down on a bunch of rocks/gravel/broken pavement (unfortunately right in front of the basket at one of my home courses) and it dug out a piece of overmold about 1/8". It smoothed out pretty easy, but I have no doubt that these sharp wings are going to get a bit more damaged than the mids/putters. I think the durability of the overmold is about the same as GL plastic...Pretty tough but will show occasional gouges.

I'm putting it more at 9/5/-2/2

I wasnt sure about the speed but it's definitely faster than a speed 8. I think how fast it is and the gyro adds what feels like "glide". I wouldn't put the glide of the volt on FD level

Threw one a few times this morning. I was surprised at how fast it was. First few throws were laser beams and then it started getting a little flippy. I'll definitely be spending more time with it and am intrigued by its possibilities.

I agree that under 350' they aren't showing any turn in calm conditions. I'd agree more with Discspeeds ratings than ZJ's but throwing conditions play a role here for sure.

I also threw one of mine into a road on accident and it scuffed up the wing a bit. Damaged similar to star plastic and didn't change the flight yet.

Most of my friends throw in the 300-360' range for their max D and they've gotten Volts out as far as any other disc they've tried. I've been letting everyone I play with try them out a few times and seeing how they work for them. Seems like a speed 9 Teebird at their power level.

At 420-450' they do show high speed turn, but it's controllable with hyzer or giving it enough height and lateral room to ride out the turn and fade back.

They are working extremely well off the tee for me forehand, especially from a standstill. I'm throwing a little slower and smoother and using no run-up and landing flicks where Quasars and QOLFs would land with a run-up, but I have more control this way.

This is the best tunnel shot disc I've thrown by a longshot.

Well if I throw it dead flat the turn is there, at 350 or 425. Ratings aren't based off hyzer flips

I'd liken it to a QOLS or Beast rather than an Orc/pd/lf

Well if I throw it dead flat the turn is there, at 350 or 425. Ratings aren't based off hyzer flips

I don't know much about Beasts but I found a pearly champ one that was a different mold than current Beasts and it flew a lot like the Volt.

If I throw mine flat, 15-20' high and 350' it just lasers. 375' some tracking to the right, 400' some actual turning but it'll recover. I tend to throw everything with a tiny amount of hyzer though which might be why I didn't find mine as flippy as you and UPS did. My throwing style will definitely skew my opinion some.

I do enjoy exploiting that turn on certain holes around here. I'll throw it flat or a touch of anny and give it a good amount of power and it'll do a late, gradual right turn starting around 300-325' out. I'd do a similar shot with my worn Axis but it's easier to hit lower lines with the Volt and doesn't require as perfect of a throw.

It appears to me that according to the InFlight guide, the Volt might be very similar to the well seasoned mid-160s orcs that I've been throwing forever. Looks like I'll have to try one out...

Yeah I'll agree very much like an old mold beast

That's why I'm more -2/2 over -1/2

That's totally what I would have rated it after a couple of sessions of throwing it...but not now. It sounds weird, but hear me out because I'm starting to really see a pattern.

Even if you are a skilled thrower and used to testing different discs all the time (and this is even more true the farther away you are from good form/familiarity with different discs), when you throw a new disc you initially impart a little OAT on it. Often it's not even visible. This is especially true when throwing it near full power. It's also especially true when throwing something that "feels" different from what you normally practice with. This is because (my theory) each time you learn a new disc there is a touch of a learning curve in terms of grip and exactly how the disc sets in your hand to rip it most efficiently. I go through the discs in my collection that I've thrown a lot at some point and it's amazing how differently some of them fit in my hand. So until you figure out just how to clamp onto a new shape and release on perfect line with the direction of your power you will get at least a micro amount of OAT.

Now on most discs this is not much of an issue because a micro amount of OAT isn't going to drastically affect a disc's stability (especially today's wider rimmed drivers). However we all know that a little OAT can affect MVP's gyro weighted discs more profoundly. I remember when the Vector came out a lot of people were calling it flippy...I'd been using it for some time at that point and I though people were out of their minds. I even took like 10 different colors/weights/domes to a field and they were all some flavor of pretty darn overstable. This happened because people were getting OAT on it and it was flipping. Over time people grew comfortable with the grip/release and now if someone started a thread called "my new Vector is flippy" it would spark a huge backlash.

Some version of this has happened for every MVP release. I've found each mold less stable initially until I've thrown it for some time. Some discs feel more natural to me than others and this phenomenon is less dramatic, but it's still there.

So back to the Volt...If you averaged the out of the box stability of all the SPDs my Volts match the bottom 1/3 in stability. I've been really spinning them and I'm just not seeing hardly any turn from a flat release, even going 350' into a slight headwind.

I suspect that people are going to initially find the Volt flippy, but over time it will become one of those discs that points to form issues when someone is calling it flippy.

Latest posts