• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My best shot is unorthodox AF...

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
… and it's underhand.

No joke. Now granted, I'm not a highly developed player like a lot of you here. But I have a shot that I'm very proud of because I can replicate it with decent precision over a 120' to 220' range. In other words, I have a reliable shot to use on most approaches. But like the title says, it's unorthodox as all get out. It is underhand.

The motion starts with a typical FH sidearm backswing, but unlike a normal sidearm flick (like I'd use to throw a zone) I drop my arm and swing underhand bringing the disc really close to my back leg and putting a natural hyzer angle on the disc. The mechanics are similar to a fast pitch softball player throwing a screwball. The bottom line is, with an understable disc, I get a glorious hyzerflip that's easy, predictable, and rides low. The Discraft Sol is my disc of choice with no wind, if I want it to finish turned over, or if it's between 100-160 feet or so. A beat X-buzzz is my go-to if I need it to go a little further or to finish faded.

But searching these forums for underhand doesn't turn up much except for a thread from 2009 where the OP said he did something similar and everyone else just made fun of him/her.

My reason in posting this is, I've learned a lot of useful tips from this website along, and most fall into the "conventional wisdom" of good habits. Seeing as how nobody identifies with RHUH as a style, I'm well aware that it's not a "Best Practices" throw. But since it works so well for me, I thought I'd share it

Yeah, I guess I'll reap what I sow here, but biomechanically, it's not a bad shot. The only downside I can immediately see is that you are limited to a hyzer release unlike a true sidearm which allows you to range from wrist flexion (anny) to wrist extension (hyzer) easily. In the underhand, you need the hyzer release to generate the snap.
As such, the underhand is a limited niche throw. But then again, so's a thumber or a grenade...

I don't play horseshoes, so I'm not sure. From a standstill, I'm in kind of a skateboard stance, left foot forward about 45 degrees, right foot pointing out perpendicular to the throw. Now take the arm back like you're bowling, and swing forward (also like you're bowling)… that's the best I can describe it

It also seems troublesome out in the fairway as you're throwing so close to the ground/bushes/etc.

It also seems troublesome out in the fairway as you're throwing so close to the ground/bushes/etc.

Actually, this is where I find it most useful. I don't often throw it from a teepad. Unless you're in waist high velociraptor grasses, there's no interference and because it's so close to the body, I am a lot more comfortable throwing it out of a bad lie than a normal sidearm.

I do similar, only with a fan grip. Goes straight up and down, use it for getting over trees or through tight gaps. Especially useful when you don't want a rollaway, as it has enough backspin to pretty much hit and sit.

I've known guys to do this throw with some effectiveness.
Hey, if it works for you, do it.
Anybody on here that doesn't like it, doesn't have to use it.
It's your name on your scorecard.
Have fun whatever way you throw!!

So I'm a little embarrassed by this... In my mind I was doing one thing, but on video, I am doing it differently.

Here's a video my daughter shot for me just a little bit ago. I apologize if the angles aren't great. I wanted a shot along the street as well as one where I have to go under a low hanging tree.

But what I realized while compiling the video is that I don't really throw it as underhand as I thought. My upper arm is tucked way closer to my chest than a normal sidearm, but I'm still getting about a 90 degree angle at the elbow when in my mind, my elbow was almost fully extended like a bowler. No wonder you couldn't picture the throw in your head, my own head was all messed up! :doh:

Anyway, here's the video. I guess maybe it's not so unorthodox after all... not great textbook form, but nowhere near as extreme as I thought.

Oh and you might need to be in full screen to see the disc, I apologize for going lower resolution

Last edited:
looks like a beautiful hyzerflip to me

if it doesn't hurt and you can do it consistently, i don't see a reason not to use it

Yeah looks like a nice little FH hyzer flip upshot. I'm all about the FH upshots too but I more pop putters closer to flat...whatever works for you is the name of the game in upshots.

My Dad does almost the same except way smother and with more of the throwing arm out at begging with a tuck in because he threw toy discs as a kid this way as it was easier for him to throw the disc straight and not of to the right. My dad even did this with an Aerobie flying ring the old 1980's to early 1990's one with metal in the rim.

I got hit in the neck with the Aerobie one time as my dad threw the ring to me with that forehand flick style.

Feel ain't real - SW22

Your FH is what I would call orthodox for a forehand. Hyzer flipping an understable disc, is very common - but, most players prefer an OS disc that requires less finesse. Your shot would be extra tough in a windy situation.

That said, if you were to grab a Firebird - and throw that shot high and left (on a knife hyzer), you'd be much closer to a horse-shoes style lob. That shot is less orthodox, mainly because if the ground is hard and sloped, you can get some vicious roll-aways.

Latest posts