• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MY first form critique. PLEASE

cyleetron

So after watching this video I realize I hold onto the disc with both hands too long, and I have too many in-between steps.. At least that's what I think i'm doing wrong but please give me some advice. I'm new since April and all of my friends who started around the same time are starting to leave me in the dust.

What I really lack on is the RHBH. When it comes to tomahawk I'm probably best at followed by RHFH.
I REALLY NEED HELP UPPING MY RHBH GAME!
thank you!

a couple things: the two hands for so long is going to throw off your form horribly. the back arm should be either tucked (kind of odd too) or aiding in the rotation of your hips and shoulders. More of a fluid motion is what you want, I've heard that you should end up pointing at the target with your back arm. the second thing, when you are releasing you stop all movement of your legs and hips. you follow through ok with your shoulders but the follow through should be a single movement of all parts of your body together. the third thing: keeping your throwing arm outstretched like that will result in you throwing like a beach frisbee. you want to bring the disc back to an imaginary point and rip across your chest, snap with your wrist...

a couple things I would suggest when just starting a back hand: Eliminate the run up. really work on the form and rotation of your shoulders and ships. the second thing is your throwing arm, really work on that "starting a lawnmower" rip across your chest and snapping with the wrist...

thank you very much. So glad i got on this website, everybody is so helpful when it comes to newer players. I have a basket at home and ill start incorporating those things into practice, the "like starting a lawn mower" term helps out a lot.

Getting that snap would be easier if you (1) focus on keeping your motion smooth with your throwing arm and grip relaxed; until (2) you get to the point where your forearm is 90 degrees out from the plane of your shoulders (just before the release point); then (3) press down hard with your thumb and accelerate for all your worth so the disc pops out of your hand; finally (4) follow through on the plane you want the disk to fly.

As apdrvya suggested, work from a standstill to establish a basic pattern. Perfect video to get you going from Schusterick.

Last edited:
You need to lead with the elbow more. They lower arm can't release (and create serious speed) if the elbow isn't leading.

Definitely, like was said, stop holding the disc with both hands.

Also, during a drive, I like to think of my body as a spring. I use the run up to wind my body counter-clockwise (RHBH)... then, starting with that last step forward touching the ground, I begin to unwind from my right foot and let that "uncoiling" spin its way up my leg, into my hips, waist, chest, shoulder, upper arm, forearm and, finally, my wrist.

I'd also suggest trying to get your arm more straightened out behind you during the run-up, pointing about the opposite of where you want to throw, then, at the point in the uncoiling where your shoulders come in, start to pull that arm in close to your chest, just below your sternum, and then begin to tuck in your arm, leading with your elbow and keeping your hand pointed the opposite direction of the throw. As the disc is passing your chest, you'll start curling your wrist in and then... sproing! as you finally release all that spin energy out through your forearm and finally your wrist and fingers. You've also got to let that follow through absorb the last of the energy. If you're not totally prepared to follow-through, all the energy will stop at the point of release and you'll have a dud.

Last edited:
Somehow managed to double post... sorry.

Last edited:

Latest posts