• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My First "Real" Round

mike3216

Bogey Member
I've been playing for about two years (for those who don't know me, I'm 52, so I'm a late convert to the Church of DG). Up until today, I just played casual rounds with my sons, and although we kept score, it was only relative to each other, and we never kept scores for the round as a whole. Well, I got a Grip AX15 in the mail yesterday (my first "real" bag), so to baptize it, I decided to do a full round this morning and actually keep score.

I played on the most popular local course, shared use. It is mostly open. I played from the tips (blue tees). Although I might prefer to play from the shorter tees at this point, the blues are the only tees that all have paver tee boxes, which I much prefer to dirt. Total length is 6875', par 59.

First, the bad:
1. I couldn't get off the tee. I don't know why, I just wasn't feeling it. Out of the 18 holes, I had maybe four tee shots that I really liked.
2. I missed my only three inside the circle birdie putts.

The good:
1. My upshots were really good, somewhat offsetting my bad drives. My GStar Mako3 was smooth like butter.
2. Putting was not great, but was good, and I didn't miss anything inside 15'. Which is saying something, since I almost always have one or two of those misses in my round.
3. I tried my first roller (ever) on the course, using my beat in XT Atlas on a 255' low-ceiling hole that usually gives me fits. It curled up to about 25' from the basket, and I'm sure I had a huge smile on my face walking up the fairway. I honestly didn't expect it to work that well. Yes, I missed the birdie putt.
4. I controlled the damage, scoring no more than a six on any hole. That doesn't sound impressive, I know, but it was always a key for me in ball golf, and I strive to keep my focus when things go sideways.

The results: 10 pars, 4 bogies, 4 doubles, for a total of 71.

I'm not unhappy with the result. It gives me a nice baseline, and I'm only going up from here.........

I've been playing for about two years (for those who don't know me, I'm 52, so I'm a late convert to the Church of DG). Up until today, I just played casual rounds with my sons, and although we kept score, it was only relative to each other, and we never kept scores for the round as a whole. Well, I got a Grip AX15 in the mail yesterday (my first "real" bag), so to baptize it, I decided to do a full round this morning and actually keep score.

I played on the most popular local course, shared use. It is mostly open. I played from the tips (blue tees). Although I might prefer to play from the shorter tees at this point, the blues are the only tees that all have paver tee boxes, which I much prefer to dirt. Total length is 6875', par 59.

First, the bad:

1. I couldn't get off the tee. I don't know why, I just wasn't feeling it. Out of the 18 holes, I had maybe four tee shots that I really liked.

The good:

1. My upshots were really good, somewhat offsetting my bad drives. My GStar Mako3 was smooth like butter.

2. Putting was not great, but was good, and I didn't miss anything inside 15'. Which is saying something, since I almost always have one or two of those misses in my round.

3. I tried my first roller (ever) on the course, using my beat in XT Atlas on a 255' low-ceiling hole that usually gives me fits. It curled up to about 25' from the basket, and I'm sure I had a huge smile on my face walking up the fairway. I honestly didn't expect it to work that well. Yes, I missed the birdie putt.

4. I controlled the damage, scoring no more than a six on any hole. That doesn't sound impressive, I know, but it was always a key for me in ball golf, and I strive to keep my focus when things go sideways.

I'm not unhappy with the result. It gives me a nice baseline, and I'm only going up from here.........

Great job keeping that growth mindset! Hard rounds are tough but everyone can learn something or develop a new mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, the bad:

The good:

I found in my early years of DG the harder I tried the worse I got. Disc golf takes a lot of patience and stick-to-it-ive-ness to succeed. May the chains be with you on your DG career going forward.

Bryant is 59 par? I cant even think of any holes that wouldnt be a 3.

Hmm.

Where did you end up on the top of the world shot?

Bryant is 59 par? I cant even think of any holes that wouldnt be a 3.

Hmm.

Lots of par 4 holes which really play as 3's for any experienced player. Im trying to duce 1 and 5 for sure but both are par listed as par 4s. Same with 17/18.

Lots of par 4 holes which really play as 3's for any experienced player. Im trying to duce 1 and 5 for sure but both are par listed as par 4s. Same with 17/18.

You aint ducing 1 or 5, nice try though.

I guess I dont even pay any mind to what "par" is. Its this course in particular is pretty easy and really is standard par 3s.

I found in my early years of DG the harder I tried the worse I got. Disc golf takes a lot of patience and stick-to-it-ive-ness to succeed. May the chains be with you on your DG career going forward.

This comment really spoke to me. I'm a 72 year old player who has only been at it for a few years. I play the local 18 hole course and they range from 250 to over 700 feet and all are considered par 3. My best score so far is 10 over par, and the longest hole I have not achieved a par yet. I keep score every game just to track my average and keep track of my activity level. I continue to hope to see my game dramatically improve, but in the meantime I'm just being patient. Good luck to you and your progress, but most of all, have fun!:thmbup:

Are you talking about Bryant Lake in MN?

OP is in Richmond, VA and he talked about it being a local course. The course in question is probably Bryan Park in Richmond, VA, which fits the given description (6675' par 59 per DGCR stats.)

What hole is 700+ there?

11 is 724, 8 is 600, and 4 is 590. And honestly, if you know of anyone short of the biggest pro bombers who could put it pin high on 4, I would be very surprised. The location of that basket would require an incredible shot.

OP is in Richmond, VA and he talked about it being a local course. The course in question is probably Bryan Park in Richmond, VA, which fits the given description (6675' par 59 per DGCR stats.)

I over looked that. Thanks.

This comment really spoke to me. I'm a 72 year old player who has only been at it for a few years. I play the local 18 hole course and they range from 250 to over 700 feet and all are considered par 3. My best score so far is 10 over par, and the longest hole I have not achieved a par yet. I keep score every game just to track my average and keep track of my activity level. I continue to hope to see my game dramatically improve, but in the meantime I'm just being patient. Good luck to you and your progress, but most of all, have fun!:thmbup:

wproct, Your post gives me hope that I will still be playing 15 - 20 years from now. :thmbup:

keep it up! I'm the same age as you and beat all of my local course low scores this season. you'll notice a lot of improvement if you play a lot....

Latest posts