• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

mystery disc

icyblueroads

Has anyone every thought it was a little counterintuitive to have a disc that only has a manufacturer stamp and no indication of what the disc is? How would anyone that is quesitoning the disc know if it is illegal, that seems to go against using an illegal disc idea...you can't use one but you can't tell either.

It seems that players should be required to play with discs that clearly state what the disc is...bottom stamp, small stamp any stamp for that matter.

During a tourney, if I played with someone that didn't want to let others now what disc he/she is throwing and the disc itself has no markings of any sort to tell what the disc is...he/she says I am not going to tell you. can I just declare it an illegal disc and the TD would look at possibly say it is illegal cause the TD can't make out who makes the disc?

not sure about this illegal disc stuff espeicailly if you can't even make out what the disc is.

Do any illegal discs that any pros would want to throw exist that could pass for an approved disc?

If this "rule" for whatever reason were enacted, people could no longer season discs. I see discs that people are using all the time that have no stamps due to years of use that just made the stamps fade away so that they're less visible than even a wiped stamp.

As far as I recall, you are only required to have a distinctive marking on your disc, and that can be as simple as your initials. You can declare another's disc illegal and the TD can decide. But if you do this consistently for any disc that you don't know what it is, you'll soon find yourself on the outs with the local DG community, if not banned from tourney play outright, for being a whiny nuisance.

If this "rule" for whatever reason were enacted, people could no longer season discs. I see discs that people are using all the time that have no stamps due to years of use that just made the stamps fade away so that they're less visible than even a wiped stamp.

Take away all tourney stamp disc also, who's to say that "T" by the nipple makes it a teebird.

It would be nice if all brands had raised letters like the tooling on a Buzzz. It would make identifying disc a whole lot easier.

Is there a list of discs that are in regular production but are not PDGA approved?

I mean... I know the Flywood stuff isn't approved but they seem like they could care less (No Rules Braaaaahhhhh).

But do any of the other "major" companies produce illegal discs?

So icy, are you saying that you would try to deem every dyed disc illegal unless they left the stamp?

and there are plenty of misprinted discs, would we be allowed to throw those?

You can call a disc illegal all you want. But if someone knows it is legal, they are going to keep using it then show it to the TD.

why worry what someone else is throwing. if i am getting beat by someone, its because i am playing badly or they are better than I. if someone feels they need to use an "ileagal" disc to win..........fell free i dont care, tournament or not. its called KArma.

i just rifle through cardmates bags as i see fit. also throw a couple of their molds if you are unsure.

Derp, bad thread. I just think about my own game. People can throw what they please. Until that magic disc comes around that always does what you want and is extremely better than any other disc on the market, I really dont care what someone else is throwing. One other thing, 99% of the time a disc isnt what makes a player good.

why worry what someone else is throwing. if i am getting beat by someone, its because i am playing badly or they are better than I. if someone feels they need to use an "ileagal" disc to win..........fell free i dont care, tournament or not. its called KArma.

:thmbup:

Quest Turbo Putter

lol...used to have one just for the gimmick factor...was a hell of a conversation piece. It was a legal disc at one point until the PDGA later banned it.

I think the Quest Defender is illegal too. They also make the Wheel, which is definitely illegal (although they stamp on the disc that it meets the PDGA specs which is super misleading)

Do those of you that don't care about illegal disc not care about the other rules as well? And if you donøt care about the rules, why bother reading and posting in a rules forum?

Latest posts