• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS DYE

BennettUA

Lefty Activist
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Alabama Crimson Tide logo; 167g Star Valkyrie; hand-cut

4263207597_838b0e3c7c_o.jpg

Got a few dyes done before Christmas, but hadn't even touched a disc to dye for weeks. Alabama winning the college football national championship moved this one up for me :).

I'm an Alabama alum and dye-hard( ;) ) fan. I dyed the Bama logo on a KC Pro Aviar a few months ago -- as you can see, it didn't hold the dye very well. I knew I would have to do this on a better disc, so I put it on a nice Star Valkyrie. I mixed Scarlet, Wine, and Black Rit to get the correct shade of crimson.

Cutting the text was the only real chore, but nothing major. Only one small line bleed from the vinyl overlap on the outer border.

Here's a pic of both the KC Pro Aviar and the Star Valkyrie, and my Bama golf towel -- did I mention I was a bit of a diehard? :hfive:

4263207753_9830ea1f95_o.jpg

ROLL TIDE!!!

BennettUA

BennettUA said:
...Alabama winning the college football national championship...

I'm sure you meant "BCS Designated Championship."

Just FYI, if there are no playoffs, there are no true champions. Alabama would probably have won anyways, but still...

I agree with him, no "real" champs with the current format. Would be cool if there was, but I realize it's not realistic.

There has been a national champion every year since forever, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

True. Alabama claims 2 championships where they actually lost the bowl game that year.

I've been looking for a custom stamped disc for the Alabama Disc Golf Team and this is awesome. Would you be interested in selling some?

Jaysus said:
There has been a national champion every year since forever, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Not to get too sidetracked, but not an official NCAA recognized one.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I-A_national_football_championship

" Division I FBS (formerly Division I-A) football is the only NCAA sport in which a yearly champion is not determined by an NCAA sanctioned championship event. "

" While the NCAA has never officially endorsed an annual championship team, it has documented the choices of several selectors in the Official NCAA Division I Football Records Book. "

This is from the official NCAA record book ( http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/DI/2009/2009FBS.pdf ), pg 99 if i recall correctly (just looked, but may have remembered it wrongly)
The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) was launched in 1998 to match the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the BCS rankings in a bowl game to determine a national champion in the absence of NCAA-sponsored playoffs. The No.1 vs. No. 2 game rotated between the Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls from 1998 through 2005. A BCS Championship Game was added in 2006 for the contest between the No.1 and No. 2 teams in the BCS rankings.

So you see, it's not an official NCAA-recognized champion, although they do acknowledge that someone is out there declaring champions; the NCAA lists teams as "BCS Champions" rather than "NCAA Champions". And those two terms are not the same thing.

BCS is an "event" that is no more than a corporate marketing scheme. Just like all bowl games, they can invite whomever they wish to play in any of the games. This is explicitly written in their charter. BCS just tries to invent "rules" that are anyways designed to select the biggest market-share teams to play in their games, hence draw in the most advertising dollars, etc.. And when the rules don't work out, then they can over-rule them at will. Even then, the teams can decline the invitation, and go to another bowl game that pays better.

Bowl games are for-profit, guys. Its all about TV ratings and ad sales. This is a corporate circle-jerk like no other in America (well, maybe with the exception of congress). I wish it weren't so, but that's how it works. NCAA should feel slimy for having anything to do with any of them.

Anyways, this process doesn't host a "championship" nor does it yield a "champion."

This is not to take away from Alabama this year. They were one of the greatest ever college football teams, in my opinion. I just wish they had a chance to win a real championship series, it would be much more meaningful to all of us.

PS...Imagine if they eliminated the NCAA basketball tournament and went to invitation-only bowl games instead! That's the perspective I'm coming from.

How exactly did you decide on/test that combination of colors to get the color so close? I'm gonna do a copy of this dye as a gift to my dad...so just wanted to do it right.
Oh and since I'm going to try and copy it anyways...do you still have the image you created/used? I can create it on my own, but that would save me some time.
Is that even kosher to ask that question?

Claytoon said:
How exactly did you decide on/test that combination of colors to get the color so close? I'm gonna do a copy of this dye as a gift to my dad...so just wanted to do it right.
Oh and since I'm going to try and copy it anyways...do you still have the image you created/used? I can create it on my own, but that would save me some time.

The image is just the Alabama logo, I just enlarged it to fit perfectly on a disc, didn't really save it to size, do that with your printer. Google "alabama logo" and it's right there.

I didn't test the color combo, I just went for it. I know what Wine dyes like by itself, and I know what Red dyes like by itself. I used a lot more Red than Wine, and then it still wasn't dark enough, so I added a small dash of Black to the dye mix. Couple more minutes and it was perfect!

Start with a Red & Wine mix, mostly Red. Dye, rinse, and see how it looks. I used very little Black but it was necessary as these two colors won't get dark enough for that TRUE Crimson.

Claytoon said:

http://www.ritdye.com/Create+Custom+Color.9.lasso

Thanks for your input! I thought you tested the color first, didn't even think about being able to adjust it, mid-dye.
If I can get this right, my dad is gonna love this. He doesn't understand why I like dyeing discs, but once he sees this he will. He's from Alabama and has been a Tide fan since he can remember, and I'm sure it will probably get hung up on his wall in his Bama Man-cave, instead of ever actually being thrown.

Sweet dye!!!

BTW, I'm a Texas-Ex and have nothing but great things to say about Bama fans. During my 4-day stay out in SoCal, every Bama fan I met was polite, knowledgeable and basically just good people.

I would love to see them again in the future. (hopefully with a different outcome :wink: )

Biggio4HOF said:
Sweet dye!!!

BTW, I'm a Texas-Ex and have nothing but great things to say about Bama fans. During my 4-day stay out in SoCal, every Bama fan I met was polite, knowledgeable and basically just good people.

I would love to see them again in the future. (hopefully with a different outcome :wink: )

Likewise Biggio! I've pretty much had no problems with ANY fanbase from the Big 12. We've been to Norman for a home-and-home, and the Cotton Bowl against Texas Tech a few years ago, and of course Texas this year. Nothing but respect, definitely quality fans all around. Were so used to the HATE between SEC schools, it's nice to actually make more friends than enemies at a game, and the Big 12 has delivered when Bama's played them. Kudos to the Texas fans!

Wow...really F'ed that up. I swear it had nothing to do with the mixed drinks...more to do with the 'transfer tape'. I've been using masking tape as transfer tape, and it has never caused me problems, but this time it was ripping the vinyl off everywhere. Total disaster. But it did leave the middle "A" okay, so now I removed all the other vinyl, where the Alabama Crimson Tide text was supposed to be and floated it with some makeshift handles, and now just have an Alabama "A" logo with a big ring of red around it. I just used Red with a dash of Black. From 15 feet away it looks perfect, but from 3 feet away there are a few flaws... :(