• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NC

If I can't trust a tee sign, the tee sign is poorly designed dude. I use tee signs all the time and don't have an issue. If tee signs were so useless you think most ball and disc golf courses would have phased them out by now.

Maybe it's just my mindset, but I don't understand being so wrapped up in making good shots (or whatever) that you care that much what the hole looks like.

How? wha? huh? You don't care what the hole looks like before you play it?

How? wha? huh? You don't care what the hole looks like before you play it?

That's correct. I look from the tee. I throw. If the view is really confusing or I think I need more info (which is rare for me), I'm going to walk ahead and see what I need to see. No tee sign is going to be detailed enough to give me the info I need.

The first time through a course, I've thrown to the "wrong" spot LOTS of times. I don't care. I'm playing frisbee on a new course. Fun! I couldn't care less about my score. If I need to care about my score for some reason (tournament, money game, etc), then by god I'll check out the course in advance!

The next time I play that course, I'll know where I'm throwing.

I use tee signs all the time and don't have an issue. If tee signs were so useless you think most ball and disc golf courses would have phased them out by now.

This exemplifies the over-valuing of tee signs that I first wrote about. I have played over 100 disc golf courses, and I've never seen a single tee sign that gives me enough info to execute a shot if I really REALLY need to know how to throw that shot.

And if I don't really REALLY need to know, then why care?

Radical thinking, I know!

(If I would have made it out to the DGCR thing at Albermarle or wherever you guys played, you would have seen this in action. Sure, if there's a picture on the tee sign, I'll look at it to give me a general idea of the shape. But that's about it. Never would I rely on it for a shot that matters.)

So b/c you underutilize tee signs you think they are overvalued? You seem like the wrong guy to put in charge of tee signs.

I have played over 100 disc golf courses, and I've never seen a single tee sign that gives me enough info to execute a shot if I really REALLY need to know how to throw that shot.

Many tee signs are poorly designed and don't have enough info on them. This does not mean they should not be put up on a course. This just means that tee signs should be better designed and include more important information.

So b/c you underutilize tee signs you think they are overvalued? You seem like the wrong guy to put in charge of tee signs.

Or the *right* guy. Imagine the money I'm saving the course! (And it was Stan's decision to put art on the long course, not mine!)

So, whatever, you think I'm underutilizing/undervaluing them, I think you (and most of the world) are over-valuing them. Cool. Let's have a beer.

And while you're pouring mine, feel free to cite examples of tee signs that give you a good enough map that you can throw a shot that matters.

Pretty much ever ball golf tee sign has enough info to know the shot you need to hit. We really need to make our signs more like them and make them look less like MS Paint adventures. I also noticed while watching the European Tour videos on youtube, I see that many of them have very good tee signs, we should take some tips from them.

Like at hole 5 at Elon Long there is a stump that has the distance to the creek on it. That is the type of stuff you can put on tee signs that will improve their usefulness.

I really don't get the point you are trying to make saying many disc golf tee signs are crappy. Is that like a reason not to have them or what? I do know that I would rather have a tee sign at least kinda representing the shape of the hole instead of drawing by kids.

This is seriously a bizarre conversation. I'm just waiting for the person who likes natural tee pads to show up and say that concrete pads are over-rated.

I really don't get the point you are trying to make saying many disc golf tee signs are crappy. Is that like a reason not to have them or what?

I'm not saying they're crappy. I'm saying there's no way to make a tee sign contain enough info to throw a shot that matters. That is all. My opinion.

I do know that I would rather have a tee sign at least kinda representing the shape of the hole instead of drawing by kids.

I agree that having a sign kinda representing the shape is somewhat useful the first time you throw a hole. However, in this case, Stan decided on art. There you go.

There are ways to make a tee sign contain enough info to make them useful. Go play some ball golf on a nice course and get back to me about that.

here is a good tee sign:

CanyonTest.jpg

So I was sitting here thinking about what makes ball golf signs more useful than disc golf signs and I realized it is the fact that the whole hole is drawn out for you to see the shape and contour of the fairway like so:

528550538_8fcfc6f91f.jpg

whereas many disc golf tee signs are designed by amateurs who do not know how to map out a hole properly and we end up with tee signs like this:

tee_sign.jpg

Which as you point out provides very little information.

I also waffle between wanting the routes drawn on the hole removed or not. I think having a suggested route on the hole is a cheap way of getting out of drawing the fairway properly but on some designs they might be needed.

Other tee signs that contain enough information to play the hole without walking it:

IMG_1806.JPG

signsdeluxe4.jpg

and a tee sign from a course I am never going to play:

IMG_8853.JPG

Wow, just a massive difference of opinion.

I've played #1 at Harry Myers. That sign isn't NEARLY enough info for me to throw a shot that matters. And if the shot doesn't matter, then what do I care?

Yes, I agree that those signs are helpful for the first time playing a course. But I'm not going to miss them THAT MUCH if it's just a hole number and a distance. REPEAT: As I've said from the beginning, they are some help the first time you play a hole.

070167c8.jpg

The tee sign doesn't tell me about the slope right-to-left, and also dropping off behind the hole. Not to mention the water and how far it is to the water. And all the trees near the basket, and where the best hyzer line through those trees from the right is -- like how far short of the basket is the last tree? Am I better to be short or long if throwing the hyzer? Etc.? Hell, the sign doesn't even show any kind of canopy, much less its shape or height.

Last edited:
The tee sign doesn't tell me about the slope right-to-left, and also dropping off behind the hole. Not to mention the water and how far it is to the water. And all the trees near the basket, and where the best hyzer line through those trees from the right is -- like how far short of the basket is the last tree? Am I better to be short or long if throwing the hyzer? Etc.? Hell, the sign doesn't even show any kind of canopy, much less its shape or height.

lol.

Like I was gonna type up a real reply that but every time I read it my brain breaks and I just started getting snippy and sarcastic. Are you making a fake over-the-top argument at this point? Do you want a tee sign to show all that before it becomes useful to you? Do you understand the purpose of a tee sign?

here is a good tee sign:

CanyonTest.jpg

Look at this sign, see how you can picture the shot(s) you will need to play this hole successfully. See how it even tells you elevation changes. This sign plus standing on the tee pad looking out over the fairway would tell me what shot I need to make.

Pier Park has that same style of sign. Also, have you played Horning's, Frank?

Uh I have no idea where Horning is. I remembered that sign from when I was looking at potential tee sign designs for the home course.

Look at this sign, see how you can picture the shot(s) you will need to play this hole successfully. See how it even tells you elevation changes. This sign plus standing on the tee pad looking out over the fairway would tell me what shot I need to make.

Uh I have no idea where Horning is. I remembered that sign from when I was looking at potential tee sign designs for the home course.

Horning's is an Oregon course. You need to come over here and play some OR courses.