• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NC

Well you need to come over here and play some NC course and then go see the drag show with me at Legends.

Horning's is an Oregon course. You need to come over here and play some OR courses.

Indeed!!

Hornings(all 3 of them), Milo, Pier, Whistler's Bend, Dexter, Willamette, Adair, Bryant.... I love Oregon...I have dreams about Oregon...mmmm yeah that kind of dream...

Like I was gonna type up a real reply that but every time I read it my brain breaks and I just started getting snippy and sarcastic. Are you making a fake over-the-top argument at this point? Do you want a tee sign to show all that before it becomes useful to you? Do you understand the purpose of a tee sign?

Here's the thing. We agree. A tee sign gives you a general idea of the hole and the info you need to throw it. Right?

All I'm saying, is that info is only valuable the first time you play a hole. After that, it is of little or no value. You may or may not agree with this.

I'm also saying that the first time you play a hole, there's nothing on the line, so having that info on the tee sign isn't *necessary*. You may or may not agree with this.

I happen to believe these things are true, so therefore, I think pictures of holes on tee signs are over-valued by the general disc-playing population.

That's all I'm saying.

"Stupid artwork" is a little harsh. Especially big-picture. But if that's your opinion, good for you. I guess.

I love the art on the short course, and it's really all that is needed. However, when Stan requested I procure art for the long course, I said "you'll get heat for no hole maps". His response indicated he is not bothered by this.

And besides, hole maps are one of the most overrated aspects of courses. You only need it the first time you play a hole, and even then, you're probably walking ahead to check it out anyway. I mean, really, what can you tell from a little map?

In my opinion.

Soliciting art from the local area schools is great. It creates community involvement with the course and disc golf club. The kids that made the art will bring their parents there to play. Eventually they will become club / PDGA members. Feeling good about their art and contribution to the sport will grow excitment in other areas of DG volunteering.

If you dont like the signs, don't play Elon. If you don't like the long course's signs volunteer to make some. We have 6 more courses to build...

Like I was gonna type up a real reply that but every time I read it my brain breaks and I just started getting snippy and sarcastic. Are you making a fake over-the-top argument at this point? Do you want a tee sign to show all that before it becomes useful to you? Do you understand the purpose of a tee sign?

The original point of the is conversation was about the tee signs at the Elon Short course. you do not need a tee sign like you provided for a 120' shot to a basket that you can see. It adds no value and wastes money. Thats what most of the Elon short course is like. It is a beginner learning course and the Art there caters to the players that we hope are playing it. If you are 970 rated and have to shoot -14 there to make yourself feel good...there is nothing Grodney can say. The signs are goofy things created by local schools to connect those classrooms with a new outdoor activity and that is more important than telling you something you already konw...like hey, that tree that you can "see" is also on a sign.

Elon long course, im on the fence. ive played the course numerous times and I still have no idea where to throw my shots.

The original conversation was about Elon Longs dude.

check the quote

check it said:
While hole maps might only be useful on shorter courses the first time around. Longer courses like Elon Long really need accurate teesigns to show the layout of the hole. Teeshot position is pretty important on a course like that and an accurate teesign can really help a person decide where and what to throw.

Plus saying "hey you're walking down the hole anyway" is pretty dumb and that is not nearly as viable on a course that has tons of 500'+ holes.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry, somehow that all got steered totally off track.

Totally separate issues:
1. Elon Short - I don't think there's any issue.

2. Elon Long - As they say "it is what it is". Stan opted for art. If you want to ding it in your review, that's your choice. Heck, if I'm reviewing such a course, I would certainly note it, as a courtesy to first-time players, if nothing else.

3. "stupid artwork" (by bettsjc) - In my opinion, overly harsh and shortsighted. But I'm a big boy, I'll get over it.

4. Tee Signs in general -
4a. Tee signs are helpful for first-timers on a course. Done well, they can contain lots of cool info even beyond the shape of the hole, such as direction to the next tee, elevation, etc.
4b. IN MY OPINION, the first time you play a hole, there's not going to be anything at stake (other than your personal pride).
4c. IN MY OPINION, the usefulness of tee signs is VERY MUCH DIMINISHED after you have played a hole 1 time.
4d. Due to 4b and 4c, IN MY OPINION, maps on tee signs aren't all that important, especially compared to other aspects of a course.

That's all I was sayin'.

Yea, I'm not a fan of that either. Stupid artwork and no map of the holes? I feel you there frank

The laminated tee signs that were there and stapled to the trees were better IMO

And then this reply. These were the original quotes which appear to be about the short course "stupid artwork."

I have played Elon Long and didn't really have a big problem with the signs. Not the best I have ever seen, but they seemed OK to me. Then again, I like that course so maybe I didn't notice if they were weak.

I have played Elon Long and didn't really have a big problem with the signs. Not the best I have ever seen, but they seemed OK to me. Then again, I like that course so maybe I didn't notice if they were weak.

You probably played before the current signs were up. The original signs were little laminated hand-drawn maps. Most of those were removed when the current permanent signs were installed. The current permanent signs have only the hole number and the distance, integrated into student artwork. There is no depiction of the hole itself.

Yea, again, we are building 6 more course in a year... 90% of the money is coming from the Charlotte Disc Golf Club. The money isnt there for signs, like it or not. We have 108 baskets to purchase and over 120 tee pads. It doesnt matter what they say or don't say, they just arent coming.

We get some neat free artwork from local kids who now feel attached to the course, great.

Its frustrating to read a bunch of reviews, from jerks, that have never put an hr of work into a course, complaining about something like tee signs. Nevin took about 4000 man hours of work. Eastway and Elon Pro Course, similar. EAch of the new courses will be 2000-3000 worth of hours. Then club members have to run and attend 6 weekly leagues just to stay ahead of the payment schedule. You think we really care what a bunch of message board flamers think about an 8 Y/O's artwork?

Yeah, sorry, somehow that all got steered totally off track.

Totally separate issues:
1. Elon Short - I don't think there's any issue.

2. Elon Long - As they say "it is what it is". Stan opted for art. If you want to ding it in your review, that's your choice. Heck, if I'm reviewing such a course, I would certainly note it, as a courtesy to first-time players, if nothing else.

3. "stupid artwork" (by bettsjc) - In my opinion, overly harsh and shortsighted. But I'm a big boy, I'll get over it.

4. Tee Signs in general -
4a. Tee signs are helpful for first-timers on a course. Done well, they can contain lots of cool info even beyond the shape of the hole, such as direction to the next tee, elevation, etc.
4b. IN MY OPINION, the first time you play a hole, there's not going to be anything at stake (other than your personal pride).
4c. IN MY OPINION, the usefulness of tee signs is VERY MUCH DIMINISHED after you have played a hole 1 time.
4d. Due to 4b and 4c, IN MY OPINION, maps on tee signs aren't all that important, especially compared to other aspects of a course.

That's all I was sayin'.

Here is a man who feels the need to get the last word in again and again.

Yea, again, we are building 6 more course in a year... 90% of the money is coming from the Charlotte Disc Golf Club. The money isnt there for signs, like it or not. We have 108 baskets to purchase and over 120 tee pads. It doesnt matter what they say or don't say, they just arent coming.

We get some neat free artwork from local kids who now feel attached to the course, great.

Its frustrating to read a bunch of reviews, from jerks, that have never put an hr of work into a course, complaining about something like tee signs. Nevin took about 4000 man hours of work. Eastway and Elon Pro Course, similar. EAch of the new courses will be 2000-3000 worth of hours. Then club members have to run and attend 6 weekly leagues just to stay ahead of the payment schedule. You think we really care what a bunch of message board flamers think about an 8 Y/O's artwork?

Maybe you should build one less course a year and use that money to make tee signs and such for the existing courses.

You know what else is frustrating? Playing an 800' hole that has no tee sign.

Here is a man who feels the need to get the last word in again and again.

Sorry man, I was just pointing out you were right and the issue wasn't about Elon Shorts. Also took the opportunity to state my OPINION more clearly, since I failed before. I totally understand having a difference of opinion. Go ahead, you can have the last word, it's all good.

(Oh crap, I've gone and gotten the last word in AGAIN!!!!)

I haven't commented on signs for the long course.
I think there should be signs. Do they need to be plexiglass or carved and painted into wood no.
I personally made the laminated signs at Nevin. And I may make them for Eastway, but the signs like you posted will probably never be purchased for courses.

Too expensive
They get stolen and can't be matched years in the future.
Holes change and the signs become inaccurate.

This 8x11 laminated sign is all that is needed in my opinion. Smaller versions are at most of the holes on the Elon Pro Course. You just have to look for them. I have seen reviews of Nevin (Con: no benches or trashcans) when there have been 7 benches and 7 trashcans since before the baskets were installed.

Attachments

• Nevin 18.jpg
    Nevin 18.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 12