• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Need help choosing a stable max distance driver.(speed 11 or better)

For those of you suggesting the Wraith, do any of you also throw PD's?

I can get my S-PD out to about 340' and my Wraith flies about the same. Are the speeds too similar for them to be useful together? If you're using PD's, what's your distance driver?

I generally skip a speed (so every other) if the disc is in the same stability slot until I get to speed 6/7 and down as the distance gaps between individual speeds tend to be wider as speeds decrease.

Ranging tends to become more important as you approach the basket which also tends to go along with your slower discs.

Last edited:
I carry several wraiths for distance driving. I use a 150 blizzard wraith for nonwindy days I can throw it easy and it will fly stable or I can crank it and it will slowly turn over. I have a Champ that is very stable and a Star that is very overstable almost a meathook.

wraith is the natural step I think, slower than a destroyer and they can be worked on every line. I would start with a pro and if that's too flippy get a star one. the wraith is a great start into the true distance drivers.

For those of you suggesting the Wraith, do any of you also throw PD's?

I can get my S-PD out to about 340' and my Wraith flies about the same. Are the speeds too similar for them to be useful together? If you're using PD's, what's your distance driver?
I don't use PDs but I have two s line ones and I would say that pairing a pd and a wraith could be done but they are so similar in speed it doesn't make much sense because they can hit similar lines, but the pd would make a good control driver between a destroyer and teebird speed discs

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.

I've got some money set aside to test some more discs this year.It seems my Max distance spot is really the only one I have a ton of trouble with(that and the Buzzz vs. Fuse thing,that is for another time).

Someone mentioned Saint. I did try a Saint out and it was just flippy for me for what I wanted it to do. My Fury is mainly for the woods,So I though the Saint would be great for big open drives. It just didn't work out.

Wraith seems like a popular one to try.

I think my Destroyer is an earlier run,before the AJ stamp. It is pretty dang beefy.

I did however pick up one of the discs I mentioned today.I got me a GStar Krait. First Drive with it I got it to around 420ft,then my next drive with it I parked this one hole and threw it everybit of 410ft. I think this disc is what I'm looking for.I can throw it flat and it turn just a bit and come back with some good fade. If you throw it low it just B-line's it to the basket. Pretty awesome disc.

I was throwing it side by side with my King,Tern(i got back) and Destroyer. I only outdrove my Krait once and that was with the King.It was maybe 15ft farther.The thing is the Krait was consistent for me. Maybe Speed 11 is what my Arm speed can handle best for big distance?

I'm thinking for now putting my Star Tern as it's sidekick so to say. Tern for big turnovers and Krait for consistency.

If star is all you have the Tern in, you would really love a Champ. A lot more stable. I'd bet you throw it farther than the Krait.

If star is all you have the Tern in, you would really love a Champ. A lot more stable. I'd bet you throw it farther than the Krait.

I did try a lighter one that one of my buddies has. It is a 166 and it flipped on me a little bit. Maybe if I get it around the 173 to 175 range it would not be so flippy?

Forgive me if it's been covered already, but a champ tern might be worth a shot. I bag a star and champ and the champ still gets good distance but with less right to left movement. Much more control for me and keeps my molds down

I did try a lighter one that one of my buddies has. It is a 166 and it flipped on me a little bit. Maybe if I get it around the 173 to 175 range it would not be so flippy?

I carry a high 160's and a low 160's(can't remember exact) and they do fly slightly different. Both are way more stable than my World's Star Tern. Heck, I consider my heavier one an into the wind disc.

Forgive me if it's been covered already, but a champ tern might be worth a shot. I bag a star and champ and the champ still gets good distance but with less right to left movement. Much more control for me and keeps my molds down

I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to keep my Molds at around 12 to 13.

I carry a high 160's and a low 160's(can't remember exact) and they do fly slightly different. Both are way more stable than my World's Star Tern. Heck, I consider my heavier one an into the wind disc.

Good to know man. I'll see if the shop has one in my weight and to see if it's not as flippy

It'd be a good choice. Surprised you've never thrown one before, considering your distance and the length of time you've been playing.

I used Beasts for the Longest time as my Max Distance Drivers. It wasn't until last year I wanted to change to something that went farther. My friends talked me into it lol

Try an X-Link Medium OLace. It's comparable to a Destroyer, but it has a bit more glide. I'd rank it somewhere between a Destroyer and a Tern, which is probably what you're looking for. Vibram's rubbery grip feels great in the hand and their durability is exceptional. I believe Innova will loose a few Destroyer loyalist over this disc when more people get a chance to try it. They definitely won me over

Try an X-Link Medium OLace. It's comparable to a Destroyer, but it has a bit more glide. I'd rank it somewhere between a Destroyer and a Tern, which is probably what you're looking for. Vibram's rubbery grip feels great in the hand and their durability is exceptional. I believe Innova will loose a few Destroyer loyalist over this disc when more people get a chance to try it. They definitely won me over

Oh man I know what you mean on how those Vibram discs feel. I love how grippy they are,but I don't really know enough about them to drop the money on them. They ask for more price wise on those Vibram discs so that puts me off too just a bit.

I will put that disc on my list as ones to try this year. That might be the stability I'm looking for since it's in between. That's how the Krait feels too when it's in flight.

Your arm speed is mine on a good day.

What weight did you get?

They didn't have a 175 so I got a 173. I like my discs on the heavy side.

The disc is nice and stable. I can crank on it flat and don't have to worry about it turning over. It has just a small amount of turn and then it comes back with some good fade.

The grip feels almost exactly like a Destroyer. Since I've used Destroyers before I was right at home.

Latest posts