• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New and in need of some tips

GreenDisc101

Ive only played 5 times, but i am hooked, Disc Golf is all i can think about lol.

Would like to know any tips/advice on driving/approach/putting.
As well as how i can make my disc fade right, i naturally go left, and if theres a way for me to make it go straight.

Please any and all info is nice :)

Also if anyone is in Houston, tx near Cypress area, add me maybe we can go to a course and play, only person I know who plays besides my brother lives in oklahoma.

Many videos on youtube and the disc manufacturers websites that will explain things. You can also use the search feature to find threads that discuss things.
Welcome to the sport. Good Luck

Technique Sticky

Lots of good stuff in this^ thread to increase distance and driving accuracy. Best thing to increase distance is to film yourself and post in the Form Analysis/Critique thread. The sooner the better, so you don't form too many bad habits.

For putting, the fewer moving parts, the better.

For upshots, play catch with a friend.

Many videos on youtube and the disc manufacturers websites that will explain things. You can also use the search feature to find threads that discuss things.
Welcome to the sport. Good Luck

This.
Welcome to the addiction!

I'm a year and a half in and the addiction doesn't wear off. Throwing straight tight lines is something every disc golfer strives to do. My recommendation is to start with slower speed discs and then work your way up. On thing I wish I could do over would be to start out throwing mids and fairway drivers instead of going straight to the high speed drivers. You will have more control over slower speeds and they will point out technique flaws. Acurracy over distance is the way to go... Also make putting your favorite part of your game.. Get an actual putter and practice with it. It will take off strokes pretty fast. As for mids get you something straight like a Buzzz... If u want something that will turn right a but try out a latitude 64 fuse, it's understable and I've recently become addicted to it. Just keep playing and enjoying it, you will figure it out.

Best advice I was given in my first year was "Throw flat"

Once you can do that and not shank discs up into the sky the game gets easier and you can start to learn everything else

Throw Flat and welcome to the affliction

Best advice I was given in my first year was "Throw flat"

Once you can do that and not shank discs up into the sky the game gets easier and you can start to learn everything else

Throw Flat and welcome to the affliction

Best initial advice that I give to new players is to completely forget about footwork. Doing any kind of runup and whatnot is counter-productive for anyone who is still learning about wrist angles and nose up/down of the disc. Instead of running up, start at the end of the tee box with your back to the target. This will teach you about pivoting on your foot, hip rotation, and leading with your shoulder not your elbow.

After doing this a few times out, then incorporate some movement back into your throw.

The best initial advice I got was to go light. So I got a 150g Champion Leopard. It made all the difference in the world. I still carry one to this day.

welcome... the addiction gets worse, Enjoy.

You've already been given a lot of good advice. My thoughts

Get two maybe three disc
1. Putter maybe an avair in DX plastic, you can use your putter for shots much longer than you think.
2. A midrange.. lots of good choices, I throw a lot of Buzzz the SS is nice, others my suggest a ROC either is fine just stick with them..

The first two are all you really need starting out in my opinion..

Need something to fade right... practice throwing forehand or sidearm, they will fade right.

You tube ... and this site will teach you alot... Your game will improve very quickly!

Most important tip... Have Fun

im new and all of your advice is great...after 6 months,ive found...go light..disc down..if you can approach and putt with accuracy...driving well must follow,,someday..right?

Latest posts