• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Disc Golf Backpack just hit Amazon,improved Gorilla boy Simian for less?

Just more cheap, low quality, over priced Chinese counterfeit crap. The Chinese rip off EVERYBODY, get over it. What they will never be able to do is match the customer service that Chris provides. Try sending this bag back when it fails, and let us know what happens.

I've know Chris Anderson the creator and The Gorilla Boy for many many years, I also know some of the first team members and friends that where the first to have these amazing bags YEARS ago And then someone goes and rips off his bag and calls it there own creation, your what's wrong with our world, stealing and benifiting off someone else ridiculous dedication and hard work making every single one of these bags.. It's pathetic and sad that we serious disc golfers gotta deal with these types of shady people, it's like another Salient, get rich quick scheme. Me and many many others are coming together to back Chris Anderson from all around the country. He's a top notch guy and doesn't deserve this bull****. Your messing with his lively hood and his family. Pathetic. I won't purchase these rip of pos bags. My bag the real simian has lasted a long time and still love it. Some company bettered it my ass. Put 4 plastic nobs on the bottom and call it better.... please. They literally changed nothing, looks identical to the tee as I'm looking at my REAL Simian! You wanna save a couple bucks and purchase a piece of crap stolen knockoff go for it. You want the Real Deal go to Gorilla Boy and ask anyone that owns one, the wait is beyond worth the quality you get! #boycotttheripoffgorillabag

He should have purchased a pallet of the ripoffs and sold them without warranty. No prizes for being a bad business man.

Look at Fender. At one point they had four lines of guitar, made in America, Mexico, Japan, and Korea. They effectively knocked off themselves and made money off the lower end market.

I'm going to be buying a St. Croix fishing rod soon and they do the same thing. Bargain line made in Mexico, limited warranty. Premiere line made in USA, lifetime warranty. The rod blanks are the same, just a few cosmetic touchups and the warranty make people pay the premium.

TLDR: be better at business to beat the knockoff.

Just more cheap, low quality, over priced Chinese counterfeit crap. The Chinese rip off EVERYBODY, get over it. What they will never be able to do is match the customer service that Chris provides. Try sending this bag back when it fails, and let us know what happens.

FYI I highly doubt the "Chinese" are ripping off anyone. It was probably an American person that contracted with a Chinese manufacturer for these bags.

Yep and every car manufacturer has just been ripping off Ford.

The bag in question is an original design.

He's been developing it for years, the other bags came later when people started asking for them.

I'm saying that he had no issue using someone else's design for the rest of his line, so it seems kind of hypocritical to be shocked that this has shown up now.

And its kind of impossible nowadays to NOT expect the Chinese to create a rip off. Though, I HIGHLY doubt the Chinese went through the trouble of going down the rabbit hole of disc golf to find Gorilla Boys small market. I guarantee someone went to THEM with it.

The mistake here is that GB didn't work to get it mass produced sooner. The wait time is brutal and mass production might have its issues, but you can still offer a warranty because its cheaper to produce.

In terms of the rip off company... a quick search of Baglane and its hard to find employees, but on LinkedIn the website leads you to Silverhooks.com. From there, the supposed CEO of Silverhooks is then on LinkedIN As CEO of Trend Nation LLC.

Baglane was started in 2012 and is just one of their lines, all of which is obvious imported knock off and crap.
So, someone in that company is likely a disc golfer, and lives in Las Vegas, where the company is located.

He should have purchased a pallet of the ripoffs and sold them without warranty. No prizes for being a bad business man.

Look at Fender. At one point they had four lines of guitar, made in America, Mexico, Japan, and Korea. They effectively knocked off themselves and made money off the lower end market.

I'm going to be buying a St. Croix fishing rod soon and they do the same thing. Bargain line made in Mexico, limited warranty. Premiere line made in USA, lifetime warranty. The rod blanks are the same, just a few cosmetic touchups and the warranty make people pay the premium.

TLDR: be better at business to beat the knockoff.

I think I like my Fenwick better than my St Croix. More comfortable in hand.

Yep and every car manufacturer has just been ripping off Ford.

Ford didn't make the first car, so his car was a rip off ;)

Back on track, I'd like to see a review.. side by side. That would be cool

edit: fwiw, I have a Gorilla Boy bag.. along with Voodoo, Innova, Fade, and a mahal.. The Gorilla Boy is top notch... I'd be willing to bet the knock off... isn't.

And its kind of impossible nowadays to NOT expect the Chinese to create a rip off. Though, I HIGHLY doubt the Chinese went through the trouble of going down the rabbit hole of disc golf to find Gorilla Boys small market. I guarantee someone went to THEM with it.

I was right... guys name is Anthony Ross and is in fulfillment for Trend Nations and apparently got blasted by the local Las Vegas disc golf scene for this.

Is there a patent? If there is a simple injunction stops most people who do this thing right away because generally court costs aren't worth the trouble.

I don't get the appeal of this bag. The jump between spending $200 and $270 isn't that great. I mean, who spending $200 on a bag without doing any research? Seems too steep of a price for a 'knockoff'. I get the Academy bag that rips off a $200 bag and sells it for $30. But $270 to $200? Don't get it.

Isnt amazon partially to blame here for perpetuating this practice?

I'd agree that they are partially to blame because they have created THE marketplace for this kind of thing and made it cheaper for companies like Trend Nation to piggy back off of their platform.

My earlier points weren't worded great but it's basically a situation where thievery of intellectual property is almost celebrated and the difficulty in prosecuting it makes it worth the effort for theives more than creators, which is sad. I hope GB has a patent... it still would have been a good call for him to go bigger and mass produce earlier. Though, chances are that would mean that it would have drawn more attention to the design sooner and maybe Innova would have ripped him off instead of someone else.

It's been confirmed that Anthony Ross is the guy sitting on the knockoff on the Amazon picture btw.

Zam, for all my detectoring I can't believe I overlooked the LV in Rileys name, lol.

So... OP, what's your relation to Anthony and your view on a disc golfer straight up stealing GBs design for profit?
Cause I can live with expecting the Chinese to do this kind of thing myself, but someone in the DG community doing it is a complete D bag (pun intended) move.

Last edited:
Did i make a mistake? I am new to this forum

Is this your very first post here? It's a great site there is alot more to the site that just guide people to links. If you have any questions about disc flights. Or how to improve your form ask away some will help you. Good luck off loading the bags��

I'd agree that they are partially to blame because they have created THE marketplace for this kind of thing and made it cheaper for companies like Trend Nation to piggy back off of their platform.

My earlier points weren't worded great but it's basically a situation where thievery of intellectual property is almost celebrated and the difficulty in prosecuting it makes it worth the effort for theives more than creators, which is sad. I hope GB has a patent... it still would have been a good call for him to go bigger and mass produce earlier. Though, chances are that would mean that it would have drawn more attention to the design sooner and maybe Innova would have ripped him off instead of someone else.

It's been confirmed that Anthony Ross is the guy sitting on the knockoff on the Amazon picture btw.

Zam, for all my detectoring I can't believe I overlooked the LV in Rileys name, lol.

So... OP, what's your relation to Anthony and your view on a disc golfer straight up stealing GBs design for profit?
Cause I can live with expecting the Chinese to do this kind of thing myself, but someone in the DG community doing it is a complete D bag (pun intended) move.

Anthony sitting on his bag could also double as a tone poll just saying ��

Missed the edit window, but to be more accurate:
The bags are currently unavailable. They could have sold out, but I imagine the company pulled them.