• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player left handed.

monp787

I have recently started playing disc golf, and I was wondering what are some decent discs to use for left handed players, also some of the differences between left and right handed players.

First of all welcome to the site!

Also, any discs made for beginners will suit you well. Check out the search button up top. Just remember, since you are throwing left handed, if you throw back handed, the disc will turn in the opposite direction at the end of the flight. (called fade I think)

Best of luck to you!

Yes, the only difference for a left hand player is the discs natural tendency to turn and fade is in the opposite direction. All concepts of form though; are the same.

It really depends on how much natural ability you have but, the best thing I can recommend in a general since is dont let machismo get you buying fast discs. Start with a putter that feels good in your hand, and a mid which I would recommend a Comet.

Other than that, I want to keep it basic but since fade and turn I feel I need to briefly explain that.

Fade: More technical term is low speed stability (LSS). This is the drop off at the end of the flight when the disc is slowing down and going in for the landing. All discs I can think of have a positive number which means a left hand back hand (LHBH) thrower, the disc will go right; left hand forehand (LHFH), the disc will go left. The higher the number the more severe.

Turn: More technical term is high speed stability (HSS). This is the flight of the disc from the throw through the flight up until the fade. these can be positive or negative numbers. Positive number for LHBH would mean that it starts turning right out of the hand, LHFH and it will turn left and a negative number would mean its going to turn left when thrown LHBH and turn right (LHFH) and as close to 0 as possible is going to be as straight as possible.

Simple way to think of it is, you square your body to where one shoulder is facing down the fairway so you are chest is facing to one side or the other. Positive turn or fade means the disc is going to want to go the direction your chest is facing pre-throw/follow through.

I have recently started playing disc golf
Congrats... It takes practice to get good but its a great game, enjoy it!

I was wondering what are some decent discs to use for left handed players
Any disc that works for right hand players. Typically a Leopard is the recommended beginning driver. unless you throw FH (in which case a Teebird or Eagle-X is a good choice, but something faster wouldn't be unmanageable). You want to start slower rather than faster. It makes it much easier to build good form. They'll also be more controllable and typically longer when you begin.

also some of the differences between left and right handed players.
Everything you do is just a mirror image of a right handed thrower. When you turn a disc, it will drift left instead of right, and when you discs fade, they will fade right, assuming you're throwing backhand. That's about it.

Welcome to the site and and welcome to a righty hyzer world.

I'm a lefty as well and I can tell you there are two hard parts. 1. Being Dyslexic - all advice and tips are the same you just have to learn how to flip flop them on the fly. 2. Most holes are made with the Righthand Backhand player in mind and it tries to make the course harder for them which sometimes works greatly to our advantage.

Sometimes you and some friends will walk up to the hole and they'll all be groaning on how to figure out a shot and you'll just think "birdie shot for me". Or at least it should be. But that is only some holes. I'll pm you.

I'm a lefty too. The only difference is that your discs will have a tendancy to go right if you throw BH and they'll go left if you throw FH. There is no disc specific to what hand you throw with.

And welcome to the site. The more lefties the merrier!

welcome !
there are no disc's that are made for a lefty or a righty,just disc's.
a lefty backand flies like a righty sidearm(flick),its a counter-clockwise rotation and the disc wants to go to the right(hyzer),right hand backhand is clockwise spin and the disc wants to go left,and will have the same flite as a lefty throwing a flick,thats just the jist of it.
as far as disc's,i dont know how you throw(backhand/flick) to suggest disc's,just try everything ask youre friends if you can try their's before you go out and buy a bunch of plastic.

good luck and have fun