• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New shoes

Get more distance with

reebok-pump-omni-light-1.jpg

Lololol @ ^^^^

I'm picking up some Merrell Proterra Sports tonight!! Haven't purchased shoes this nice for DG yet... Hope they last and don't suck. Will report back with more info when I can use them a few times.

Anyone else try these?

Got in a round with the Minimus v1's. It had rained a lot of the day, and the tees were slightly moist. I threw with wreckless abandon to try to actually slip on the pad. It just wasn't in the cards. They didn't miss a beat whether it was off the tee or walking down any of the numerous hills at Mason.

While they feel pretty flimsy where the sole meets the upper, they held together. I'm definitely looking forward to more rounds with them. Still haven't dirtied the Speedcrosses yet though. Hoping to try them this weekend.

I have Salewa Alpine Trainers and Vasque Juxt's. 2yrs wearing the vasques and no signs of wear and the Salewa's are indestructible. My 2 pairs of Merrell's (chameleon's, ctr cruise) didn't even last a year.
198295_10151431065888494_666216547_n.jpg

$T2eC16JHJHcFFkGC(N+,BRn4VQJq(g~~60_3.JPG

Are there any water proof trail runners out there? I hate the look of those hiking shoes, ugly IMO. The only style of shoe I have ever worn for DG is skate shoes. Currently the ES' Square 2. Have been using them for over a year. The outside has held up really well, but the bottom of the sole has lost a lot of traction. I like the style of running shoes.. but would like the water proof feature. Does that exist? Was lookin at those Salomon XA Pro 3D's in red and black.. and like the way they look. Was gonna go to a store that specializes in running shoes in downtown Boise and see if they have em and try em on.

Are there any water proof trail runners out there? I hate the look of those hiking shoes, ugly IMO. The only style of shoe I have ever worn for DG is skate shoes. Currently the ES' Square 2. Have been using them for over a year. The outside has held up really well, but the bottom of the sole has lost a lot of traction. I like the style of running shoes.. but would like the water proof feature. Does that exist? Was lookin at those Salomon XA Pro 3D's in red and black.. and like the way they look. Was gonna go to a store that specializes in running shoes in downtown Boise and see if they have em and try em on.
Maybe New Balance 1521's. I use them and enjoy them quite a bit. They are waterproof and don't really look like hiking shoes.

I love how they call it a minimalist shoe and it has zero drop, but 13.5mm of padding for your foot. Seems a bit off

lol i hear ya, but i think based on reading the reviews.. Their first version was a bit too minimal.

My nike lunar running shoes are pretty damn tall, and I feel like this could make pivoting on the heel a bit easier.

Anyone try these out yet ?

Merrell Proterra

I own these! They are a half size too big though... :( Even with that being said, best athletic shoe I've ever worn. I've worn them twice though due to the size... Grip seemed great, and thread didn't have a scratch or scuff from crete pads. Do you wear 8.5-9, and want a pair of these for a discount? :p

I had a pair of Merrell's but I walked in a yard that was sprayed with chemicals, and it caused the shoe to separate from the sole. I then bought a pair of Keen because I liked how the rubber sole went up and over the toe area. I like the way the feel, but I still think the Merrell's were more comfortable. I use to chalk it up to not being broke in yet, but that wan't the case. I'm still satisfied with the shoe though.

lol i hear ya, but i think based on reading the reviews.. Their first version was a bit too minimal.

My nike lunar running shoes are pretty damn tall, and I feel like this could make pivoting on the heel a bit easier.

I don't see what the shoe height has to do w/pivoting on the heel. I first watched that DMG 95 w/Feldberg talking about the heel pivot instead of toe and realized I had never thought about how I pivoted. So I stood up and turns out I was already doing a heel pivot in my throw. What do I always wear to play? Last year it was a pair of birkenstock sandals. This year it's been my Vibram Bikilas and occasionally Chuck Taylors. Stepping properly thru the Xstep has nothing to do w/shoe height.

As far as the shoe being too minimal, yeah if it's a shoe being pimped for trails and still having people reporting bruising, I would say that was too minimal. The first version was 10mm total. Except for occasional slipperiness in mud, my Bikilas have done great and only tiny rocks really transfer thru the soles much. Bikila has a 3mm insole and a 4mm outer layer, so about half as thick as those other shoes that were 13.5. The Spyridons are 3mm insoles and 3.5mm outsole. I'm not sure if that includes the rock block mesh or not.

Last edited:
I pivot on my toe/ball and my shoe tread shows it.
I'm in the market for new shoes and to date I've had 4 pairs of Solomans.
I've loved all of them for comfort and function, but the durability has sucked, usually lasting 6 months at best. The main reason being the tread wears flat or will start to significantly peel off the side.

I've been looking at the Moab ventilators. How will those compare in feel and durability to Solomans?
For reference I usually bought the Gtx trail runner series, right now I have the Wings.
Should I look for something new or stick with Solomans and improve my x-step so I'm pivoting more on the heel/middle, or both?

The only issue I've had with my Moabs (Gore-Tex ones) after 10 months of HEAVY usage have been the toe peeling from the sole (easy fix) and the fabric on the back of the heel wearing through. The sole is indestructible.

Latest posts