• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the board?

I am also new here.

I just gave DG a try for the first time 2 days ago and glad I tried it, I am looking to get started and want the learn the right way from the start, and avoid developing bad habits, I came here looking for the information needed to do so. :D

Hey all, been lurking here for about a week and decided to finally start commenting.

A brief but probably all-too-familiar history of my disc hucking:

I started playing disc golf with frisbees around 1980. Hooked immediately, we used trees, mailboxes, stop signs, etc. as pins instead of baskets. I got into freestyle a bit in the late '80s, learning to spin the disc on finger and do lots of tricks. This is where my brother and I honed our ability to control frisbees quite well, just throwing back and forth on the street, throwing shots at the craziest angles while trying to get the disc catcher to not have to move an inch to snag the disc (my short approach game is considerably better than all other aspects of my current game because of this). Got into Ultimate briefly in the mid-'90s and started throwing 175-G ult discs exclusively. Took the ult discs out to disc golf courses either created by me (or my brother) or at local college. I didn't even SEE my first true golf disc until 1999 and had (have) a lot of difficulty making transition from ult disc to golf disc. So, unless I was impeded by a tree or whatever, I continued to use ult discs on these courses.

Over time, I have learned to start throwing golf discs but I (and my brother) both feel that we would be better disc golfers if we had never picked up a frisbee. We're quite disillusioned at the ability of those who've been playing for a month to outdistance us. Oh yeah, and I putt anhyzer with my body turned perpendicular to the pin. Looking down a putt with my body facing the pin just still feels wrong. I assume that is going to have to change, right? I'm honestly asking: is there ONE SINGLE good player out there who putts anhyzer with his body not facing the pin? I honestly don't know.

I started working nights in 2008 and didn't play on a course for several years, finally getting out there about a month ago. I shot +6 for 18 at Cane Creek in Cookeville, TN my first round out. So the state of my game is this:

Driving - decent/good on the accuracy part, just godawful on distance.
Long approach/midrange - if I can get it there with my Stingray or Roc, I'm pretty good. Definitely a strong point of my game.
Short approach - strongest part of game. My ability to save par from anywhere is what is keeping my score from being higher.
Putting - I think I'm a good putter considering how far I can throw the disc but compared to good players I'm below average.

So my biggest problems are lack of distance and inabililty to get anything but understable discs to fly reasonably straight. Also, I seem to throw my stingray about as far as any understable max or fairway driver I've ever tried, including the vulcan, mamba, sidewinder, roadrunner, etc.

Sorry to ramble, but somebody said they wanted to hear stories.....that's mine.

Welcome. Ron Russell won a world championship not facing the target annying putts. It is how many not how. The putting form and the suitability to the player sets upper limits of what that player can achieve. And one can master surprisingly bizarre forms and be good with it with practice. Who can tell which way brings the ultimate performance out of a dedicated player that practices? Some forms are easier thus they might bring you up to speed faster than touchier forms.

You have hopped over the natural progression with discs going from mids to speed 9 and over fast drivers. How about the straightest driver Leopard at speed 6?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't actually own all those max D understable discs, I've just thrown them in casual rounds (well, I do own a champ sidewinder, which is a 9 speeder.)

I've thrown a wide assortment of fairway drivers, sorry to not make that clear. Leopards, Eagles, Cheetahs, Cobras. The only one I trust is my TeeBird, but it fades hard at the end for me, sapping any extra distance I might get out of it vs. the Stingray (plus it's pretty beat). I like it for long hyzer approaches but that's about it.

I'm aware the Leopard is supposed to be a stable disc, but it just doesn't act that way for me. :?:

Many things could make the Leo fly wobbly or flippy and a video of your grip and throws would help to see what you could try to change.

I've found the "Throwing 300 feet" thread, JR, which is so chock-full of things I'm sure I'm doing wrong (strong-arming it!!) I'm just going to dive into that. I had the towel out last night trying to get it to snap correctly. I just need field practice really bad. Thanks again.

Whats going on everyone? Im Heath, Im live in Spring, Texas. I new to disc golf only been playing a few months my gf is an avid player and teacher. I just had a friend give me a bag full of disc for free and from what i heard there are some gems in there. Lets see what i can do. Nice to meet you all.

What's up?

Just followed a thread link to Mark Ellis' Unwritten Rules of Dubs and then browsed some AMAZING and really helpful threads on technique.
Glad to have found you guys - I hope to learn more.

I've just started playing around 10-11 months ago with my 12 year old son and it has been an incredible journey so far. We are off to Emporia KS next week for AM Worlds and we are both really freakin excited.

Later guys and good luck~

What's up?

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have played since 2001, mainly once a week until 3 years ago, when I really got into this awesome game. I started out with a Cheetah and a ....Rattler, but did switch to an Aviar. I had the same mindset as Matt in the infamous mid thread, and am naturally athletic, but will freely admit I have a weenie arm. Like I said, I got serious 3 years ago and the plastic collection is exploding. I like drivers in the 150's 8) , and everything else 165-173. I am working my way back down in drivers after getting bitten by the blizzard bug and am focusing on throwing smooth.

oh, and for mids, the Tangent has literally changed my life....

Thanks for listening

SUP! I'm about to become a Advanced Senior Grand Master Newbie in January. Took up the sport when our tiny town voted on getting a disc golf course. I said - HECK - I can throw a Frisbee, I threw one a million times 30 years ago.

Well - THOSE AIN'T NO FRISBEE'S!!

Totally obsessed now.

I'm 59 and a RHFH thrower off the tee and back hand most of the other time. More distance forehand and it's easier on my body! Not great distance yet but I started this about 5 weeks ago and seem to gain 10 feet a week. 210f on GOOD drives.

Columbus Wi -25 miles north of Madison WI

Patriot (go to driver)
(2) Leopards 168g/153g
Shark
Buzzz
Fuse
(2) Avair P&G
Wizard

next purchase will be a Valerie (I think)

Grinder said:
SUP! I'm about to become a Advanced Senior Grand Master Newbie in January. Took up the sport when our tiny town voted on getting a disc golf course. I said - HECK - I can throw a Frisbee, I threw one a million times 30 years ago.

Well - THOSE AIN'T NO FRISBEE'S!!

Totally obsessed now.

I'm 59 and a RHFH thrower off the tee and back hand most of the other time. More distance forehand and it's easier on my body! Not great distance yet but I started this about 5 weeks ago and seem to gain 10 feet a week. 210f on GOOD drives.

Columbus Wi -25 miles north of Madison WI

Patriot (go to driver)
(2) Leopards 168g/153g
Shark
Buzzz
Fuse
(2) Avair P&G
Wizard

next purchase will be a Valerie (I think)

Welcome to the site and the game. I don't know if you have found a good player to give you a basic lesson yet but it might help a lot. Wisconsin is the home of my buddy Duster Don Hoffman who would be ideal for this task. Duster is a geezer and one the original forehand dominant tournament players and btw, still has game. Because of Duster's influence there are many fine forehand players in Wisconsin, certainly some in the Madison area, including Larry Ast.

The sooner a new player is exposed to good players (and especially a private lesson) the faster they develop skills and avoid poor form. An injury forced me to learn forehand many years ago and I wish I would have had someone to teach it to me back then.

I play at Heistand Park at least once a week in Madison (originally a Madison native). I found his website and dropped him a note!!

BTW - in field work hit my 225 mark a few times with a Patriot. I continue to get longer! At least 10 feet every week.

Hey, figure it was only right to introduce my self.

I started playing about 3 years ago throwing nothing but RHFH, and using just one disc. Just started taking the sport a bit more serious and have started acquiring discs left and right. I have played at least one game, usually more like 2-3 cause its like Pringles you can have just one, 4-5 days a week for the past month...my fiance says i have a problem!

Been working on my RHBH and have found so much useful information on here.

Hi, I'm Ethan! I've been playing disc golf since about 1994. I've played some tournaments at the courses between DC and NY, but mostly play close to home. Home courses are Seneca Creek in MD and Bluemont in Arlington, VA.

I also write a blog recapping tournaments, throwing tips, and other fun stuff: http://www.discgolfofcourse.com

Ethan

Not "new" but returning.

It's been quite awhile!

I really need to get back into Disc golfing. Have not gotten to play much this last year. :|

hi guys, don't get up, i'll walk around.

Hey there, the names Smelly, and you are?
Oh that's a real nice name <READ_YOUR_NAME_HERE>, I've only been playing for a few months on the local courses still working on my grips and throw. How about you?

Latest posts