• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the board?

New to the board ... have played since the late seventies when I used a 181 gram Whamo and the course(s) were laid out using fence posts, stop signs, and tree trunks as targets. Got in to metal chains in the 90's and was in complete awe! Although once a little competitive, am into the sport for it's health and mind benefits now, along with it's fellowship and personal competitive enjoyment. Throw right handed and have an air bounce techinque left over from my Whamo freestyle days ... hard to break! Will be eternally an AM and am perfectly fine with that ... just give me a good course and the time to enjoy it. I try to promote the sport when ever and where ever. In that sense, I post the following:

An observation I've seen for most DG events of clubs and TD's is the absence of a proper online system to communicate event results and offer organized leagues or points series on the web. Santioning organizations offer these services but registration and per player events fees are tacked on. These fees can reach hundred's of dollars for larger events and are potentially taken from event payouts. What if a club did not want to sanction their event but wanted a points series or league to offer their membership? Most clubs I have observed use a spreadsheet and post results via a pdf or some sort of other means ... all less than adequate.

In an effort to promote the sport for even the smallest club or association, I am in the process of developing a DG datebase to handle these objectives. The intention is to widen the communication of event results and competitive rankings for all clubs ... large and small.

If acceptable, I would like to link to a demo (under a separate thread) and ask for player/club feedback to assist in development features.
Would this be acceptable on Disc Golf Review forums? If so, is anyone interested?

RockinDiscGolf said:
New to the board ... have played since the late seventies when I used a 181 gram Whamo and the course(s) were laid out using fence posts, stop signs, and tree trunks as targets. Got in to metal chains in the 90's and was in complete awe! Although once a little competitive, am into the sport for it's health and mind benefits now, along with it's fellowship and personal competitive enjoyment. Throw right handed and have an air bounce techinque left over from my Whamo freestyle days ... hard to break! Will be eternally an AM and am perfectly fine with that ... just give me a good course and the time to enjoy it. I try to promote the sport when ever and where ever. In that sense, I post the following:

An observation I've seen for most DG events of clubs and TD's is the absence of a proper online system to communicate event results and offer organized leagues or points series on the web. Santioning organizations offer these services but registration and per player events fees are tacked on. These fees can reach hundred's of dollars for larger events and are potentially taken from event payouts. What if a club did not want to sanction their event but wanted a points series or league to offer their membership? Most clubs I have observed use a spreadsheet and post results via a pdf or some sort of other means ... all less than adequate.

In an effort to promote the sport for even the smallest club or association, I am in the process of developing a DG datebase to handle these objectives. The intention is to widen the communication of event results and competitive rankings for all clubs ... large and small.

If acceptable, I would like to link to a demo (under a separate thread) and ask for player/club feedback to assist in development features.
Would this be acceptable on Disc Golf Review forums? If so, is anyone interested?

Our local club uses discgolfscene.com as our primary venue for posting event results, league points standings, etc. It's a great tool, check it out.

New to the forum, been golfin since about '99 . Some years more frequently than others. Recently got my bro in law into it, and we've been golfing 2-3 times a week since late spring/early summer this year. :) Good times !

Never really bothered to read any Disc Golf forums before, but decided to do some investigating about differences between weights/molds/etc of the same model. Found some interesting stuff here that coincided with what I had found out on my own , and some other info that I hadn't thought of or realised.

Thanks for the forum, I'm sure you'll hear more from me. In fact, I'm gonna go post on the minimalist thread right now. :thumbup:

My name is Justin and I'm an addict... That's the first step right?
What's up guys? New here and been golfing roughly about 12 months. I live in Philadelphia and my home course is Sedgley Woods. I actually started at a different course but I started at Sedgley when I got serious into it, so I consider that my "home" course. I went once or twice every few months but I don't really count that. I got really into it the beginning of this past spring buying a bag, good plastic and checking out discs people talked highly of. Going on average 2-3 times a week. I already need a new bag :lol:

I have a few goodies:

Tern(Star), Destroyer(Star), AvengerSS(ESP), Nuke(Z), Sidewinder(Ch), 2013 Ace Race "Mantis"(Ti), Buzzz(Ti & *ESP coming tomorrow*), Roc(Dx), Wolf(Dx), and Anode putter

Those are what is currently in my bag, with a few misc others that are extras for friends or whatever.

I've recently started throwing more consistently and working on getting more distance. I still "death grip" my share but its getting less and less, I couldn't be happier with that. Working on my wrist angles a lot lately and varying my types of shots. I have a pretty good RHBH and a "flick" throw. I also can throw tomahawks and thumbers but I keep them to a minimum as I want to work on other things. I never really thought until recently to look into a disc golf forum, even though I do for gaming, fish keeping etc. Anyways hope to meet come cool people here and maybe people from my area to throw with.

Welcome.
I hear ya on looking at DG forums. I look at DIY HiFi forums, motorcycles, etc etc. , I also never thought to look at DG forums until last Fall. I've been playing since 2000 . Amazing how much I've learned since reading the forums and looking at Videos on Youtube !

Good luck, hope you continue to enjoy the game. Lots to learn , lots of good info here.

What's happenin', ya'll? I'm new, not to the earth but to this board. I love this forum. It's probably the best disc golf board, right? I came in to say disc golf rules and I see big things on the horizon. Also...golf is not a par 3 game and disc golf shouldn't be either. In golf, the challenge lies in strategically linking shots together to get a chance to putt for birdie. We are playing golf, aren't we?
Anyways, let's build better courses!

-Highway Bill

Been lurking for a while, been disc golfer for way longer. Great site with much less adolescent flair than some others. Well done admins.

Hey Guys and Gals,

New player here from Wellington, New Zealand. Rented a disc while down in Queenstown in February, and been playing at least twice weekly ever since.

Currently a RHBH player, but can't seem to get past 70m...I'm obviously strong-arming and have been wading through the various posts on improving form. Gave FH a shot yesterday and it feels more natural, so looking at getting a more 'FH friendly' disc (my XL and Stalker don't feel too nice). Had a play with an Innova Orc, and looking to pick one up soon.

Currently throwing Discraft (local player here sells them)
Z Stalker
ESP XL
Soft Challenger

Looking forward to improving, and the content in this forum looks invaluable so far.

Well I suck at intros so whatever:
Howdy, my name is Sawyer and I've been playing Disc golf for almost a year now; I'm not all that great at it but I'm slowly getting there, I think. I mainly throw Innova discs, but have a couple Discraft ones and looking at adding a Nuke-SS soon. I'm a student at Clemson University so I have a few courses near me, and back home in Aiken there's a decent 9 hole course.

Apparently I am the newest Noob for today 9/17/14. Hello gang. Name's Wade. Been flinging disc since late 70's in north AL. Took a break until about 1990, when I discovered players were no longer throwing Wham-o freestyle/Ultimate discs and that there were drivers etc... Probably one of only a few guys that turned disc golf into full contact sport with the ground and trees LOL. Broke left ankle in two places coming off a tee pad then tore my MCL away from the bone on right knee doing a squat under a bush just a year later. Have since recovered, throwing again but lost some D. Family of 6 and we all play. Pretty cool to watch the kids grow up throwing discs. My boys are now throwing under par on a regular basis. Hard for the old man to keep up with them anymore. Hope I can contribute and learn from the forum.

Whew ... got that crap out of the way. On to another thread.

Hi and welcome. There are not many players who have started in the 70s on the boards. How have things changed in disc golf since you have started from your perspective?

JR said:
Hi and welcome. There are not many players who have started in the 70s on the boards. How have things changed in disc golf since you have started from your perspective?
I played a local course in 1976 (Brahan Springs) mostly in and out of a large pine tree stand. You didnt find many courses around the south in the 70's. The baskets were different, metal domes on top that looked like trash can lids, until Steady Ed change the course and they installed his basket designs (Mach I). We petty much threw standard frisbees back then and people were not getting the distance people do today. And when it was cold and you hit a tree you often cracked a disc. Having discs that fly with stable, overstable and under stable are some of the biggest improvements. The sport is really growing. Love to see new courses opening up with all types of play from beginner style ace run courses to the super long pro courses. It never gets old playing a new course. Love the number of manufactures available today with just about any style, type of plastic and color discs you want. We had very few colors to choose from and really a limited selection of plastics even in the 90's.

WadeMade1 said:
JR said:
I played a local course in 1976 (Brahan Springs) mostly in and out of a large pine tree stand. You didnt find many courses around the south in the 70's. The baskets were different, metal domes on top that looked like trash can lids, until Steady Ed change the course and they installed his basket designs (Mach I). We petty much threw standard frisbees back then and people were not getting the distance people do today. And when it was cold and you hit a tree you often cracked a disc. Having discs that fly with stable, overstable and under stable are some of the biggest improvements. The sport is really growing. Love to see new courses opening up with all types of play from beginner style ace run courses to the super long pro courses. It never gets old playing a new course. Love the number of manufactures available today with just about any style, type of plastic and color discs you want. We had very few colors to choose from and really a limited selection of plastics even in the 90's.
i wish my game had grown as much as the sport has since the 90's.

FNG, been playing for a few months. Was over at DGCR before I knew better, but got here as soon as I had pretty much read enough my thing's bigger than your thing threads.

mark! said:
FNG, been playing for a few months. Was over at DGCR before I knew better, but got here as soon as I had pretty much read enough my thing's bigger than your thing threads.
There are a handful of trolls there, but it's easy to ignore in such a large group. When one appears here, it's very destructive.

To be fair, though, my thing IS bigger than your thing.
thing.png

Hi, My name is love to play all day and I'm addicted to disc golf. And yes I'm new on here. Love all the topics. Been playing forever.

Latest posts