• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new to the game

bndrinkin

hi all,

just started to play, which disc are best to start with as far as driving. i tried a championship groove and it hooks on me.

thanks

Find a Stable Putter or Midrange and start there.

Am I the only one that is not surprised that his first driver was a Groove?

As for a driver that is beginner friendly, anything that is speed 7-8 or 9 should be fairly forgiving and allow you to learn proper form. So things like a Trak, Teebird, Leopard, etc. would work. If you really want to get better quicker, you should play like no one else so later you can play like no one else and use just mids and putters until you can throw a mid 250-300' like LB397 mentioned.

Innova Leopard and Discraft Buzzz are all you need, wish someone had told me that when I first started playing, though I got lucky and bought an Archangel as my first disc because I thought the stamp was tits, was way more forgiving than a groove....which is #2 on my do not buy list, I threw my buddy's a couple years ago and good heavens, it was hellish. #1 thing is to have fun though :)

I started out with an eagle as my driver and they still nest in my bag....great disc

Now that I've gone through the beginner stages and own way too many (bad/unused) discs… I like the idea of:

Leopard AND Teebird… you'll get an idea of what different stableness of disc can mean. Maybe a champ TB and a star Leo to find out how different plastics wear in and feel. (plus, if you loose one, you have the other)

Buzzz, Roc or Mace for a mid… only need one.

Wizard, Aviar, or Pure for a putter (buy 2, in same color and weight)

Am I the only one that is not surprised that his first driver was a Groove?

What is it about Grooves that draws people to them:confused::confused:

Anyways like everyone else has said start with something slow. I suggest getting yourself a DX Leopard and a DX Eagle, then get out there and tear it up :thmbup::thmbup:

The problem is, the big sporting goods stores are loaded with grooves, bosses, and the similar. Back to the op. The KC pro roc and leopard are great. throw in a putter you like, and a teebird/eagle/or rival, and you've got a pretty good starter set.

What is it about Grooves that draws people to them:confused::confused:

Anyways like everyone else has said start with something slow. I suggest getting yourself a DX Leopard and a DX Eagle, then get out there and tear it up :thmbup::thmbup:

that speed 13 on the disc.. :doh:

I started with XL's. Still a staple in my bag. Comet, Leopard, Teebird, Buzzz all good choices. You may grow out of them quickly, but they will likely always serve a purpose as your game progresses. Welcome to the addiction and board.

i was able to threw a forearm with groove pretty good, i will give the leopard and roc a shot. i bought the kc pro roc, is that one ok?

I started with XL's. Still a staple in my bag. Comet, Leopard, Teebird, Buzzz all good choices. You may grow out of them quickly, but they will likely always serve a purpose as your game progresses. Welcome to the addiction and board.

It's nearly impossible to grow out of buzz's and tbirds. No matter how long you've played they are awesome discs

It's nearly impossible to grow out of buzz's and tbirds. No matter how long you've played they are awesome discs

i was able to threw a forearm with groove pretty good, i will give the leopard and roc a shot. i bought the kc pro roc, is that one ok?

I started playing forehand a couple years ago. I recently switched to backhand. To make a long story short I wasted my first couple years in disc golf not learning anything by throwing forehand. I switched to backhand and never looked back. I wish someone three years ago would have told me what I know now.

Last edited:
Yeah it's pretty sad that the Groove is still in Clearwater's top ten most popular discs. As in, there are only seven other molds that sell more often than the Groove.

To answer the OP: Go look at the "build a bag" stickie or whatever it's called. This site is a wealth of information. Just don't give up on a disc if it doesn't work for you immediately (unless it's the Groove). I have about 70 discs that I've collected over the years, and a lot of those see little to no use. I'm currently going through them and seeing which ones work for me at my current skill level. Of the 20 that I've tested so far, 11 or 12 are destined for the MP (and I know I'm taking a loss on all of them). So don't be like me. Buy a Leopard, DX Teebird, Buzzz, and any putter and practice practice practice.

So i have
Leopard,roc kc pro, and buddy letting me borrow krait. Putter i have birdie, thats all the local store has. Should i pickup a teebird to if avail?

Latest posts