• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie bag

Croadt

I currently have in my bag a avenger, a star roadrunner, a gstar destroyer, a dx Leopard, a dragon, a champion super stingray, a star mirage and a aviar. I think some of these are too much disc for me, I want to simplify it a little bit. I'm going to drop the avenger and destroyer. Rocs and buzzzz's were the top recommended to me, but could I just go with the super stingray over them? I have 2 options in mind get a few roc variants (1 kc pro, 2dx, and one champion roc 3) and get some more Leopards dx and champion, or just get more stingrays and also get the Leopards. I also want to get another mirage and aviar and also try a nova. Opinions please, I am a little lost here... Thanks.

The advice in this thread (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790) is very solid. I'm two years in, and the discs mentioned here are still the core of my bag.

Like you mentioned, I would definitely put away the higher speed drivers for now. I would normally say to otherwise use the discs that you have, but it looks like the Super Stingray and Mirage are really understable (I've never thrown them though). I think it might be tough going to play with those discs, but they should be good for practicing.

The Aviar is a fine putter. I'd also second whoever suggested Buzzzes or Rocs to you, both are great discs. And then I'd add an overstable fairway driver (I use a Banshee) and a relatively straight fairway driver (I use a Cheetah, although I keep looking for something just a touch longer to replace it).

That mirage was bought because the store I went to it was the only p&a disc they had. But it really gets me out of weird spots. I think that I am going to give the rocs a try. My local course seems to favor stable to understable imho. I just need to focus on getting discs that are slower.

... Opinions please, I am a little lost here... Thanks.

Hard to say without knowing how long you have been throwing and how well you throw.

As a newcomer to DG, I have left my drivers in the bag (at least on the course) and played only mids and P&A for my entire 3 months. My DX Leo always gets the best distance in field work, but can't thread the needle on even moderately tight throws. Shark or Cobra seems to work best, for me, though the new Tangent is looking really good so far. :thmbup:

While I continue to improve my technique, I am trying to not move up in speed until I can control the next lowest one. So far, 6 is my limit.

I have been playing for about a month, and I can maybe throw 150-200. My technique is probably slightly better than someone who has only been to the course 4 times.

I have been playing for about a month, and I can maybe throw 150-200. My technique is probably slightly better than someone who has only been to the course 4 times.

I'm a couple months ahead of you and throw a 150 Aviar 200' straight and narrow 70%. Mids go up to 220' before starting to get erratic and fairways go wherever they choose. :wall:

Distance without control equals John Daly in ball golf, fun to watch but never in the money.

My 2 Cents...

The thing is that most my throws are erratic, I have okay power off the tee but shot 2 is usually from the rough.

Get a nova and a mako3. At your power, those should stay very straight if u throw them flat. It should help with form

It seems your want to stick with innova. If you want to branch out you might want to try a Claymore. Super straight mid.

Hard to do better for a beginning driver than a leopard.

If you're going to be playing much I'd get away from base plastics, they change flight characteristics very quickly.

I'm not stuck on innova, I just have 200 in store credit at a place that only carries innova. I'm going to cash some in and will share my spoils. I am probably going to over do it or make bad selections but we'll see

If you're going to make random bad selections, keep it under speed 7! You'll probably find some lucky jems and don't trade the ones you don't like off too soon, a year from now (as you improve) they may become your next go-tos.

If you only have Innova to choose from, but have $200 in store credit... I would try out the champ roc 3 for an OS midrange. I would look at a Mako3 for your stable, and a leopard 3 for your US. (I like the 3's because of a flatter top, feels better in my hand than really dome discs.. but that could be just a preference things.)

After that, I would probably look at a Star Teebird, and then putters.

If they don't have anything else you can use, then I would suggest something like a wraith, or a valkyrie, a sidewinder, an eagle, and a beast for down the road. Don't stick them in the bag right away, but as your power and consistency increase, you can start bagging those types of discs. Or... take orders from on here and then trade for discs/paypal you can/want to use.

Here's my take, still have 75 credit. There is a star aviar too but my son won't put it down.

Attachments

• IMAG0971.jpg
    IMAG0971.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0972.jpg
    IMAG0972.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 20
I really can't wait to try the starlite roadrunner. That disc is crazy light, 135G

As another newbie, this is what I'm attempting to do. Get a Mid-range you can trust, stable to understable, then get a few putters that fly fairly straight.

I'm throwing mainly Discraft, because that is the starter pack I bought, and I'm trying to not switch between brands while I'm learning how the different disc's operate. I've bought a bunch of stuff, that I now realize I won't be throwing well anytime soon. My goal now is to have a Comet and Buzz, then get a ~175 Roach and Magnet in harder plastic for approach shots, and stick with my soft Magnet for in the circle puts.

I do have a Star Aviar at 173g that I'm using more and more, and want some other putters to use for approaches.

So, for you, get another Star Aviar, maybe a Colt, and then a DX Aviar for in the circle, and then bag those 3, plus your two Rocs and have the goal to just stay in the fairway. If that means a 150' drive on a 300' hole, but straight, do it, and do it again up to the basket, take your 3, and move on.

As another newbie, this is what I'm attempting to do. Get a Mid-range you can trust, stable to understable, then get a few putters that fly fairly straight.

I do have a Star Aviar at 173g that I'm using more and more, and want some other putters to use for approaches.

Dude I have not had too much time with any of the discs yet but I did open up some power on the Nova. And damn that thing goes dead straight and just drops dead. No fade or anything, just put it on a line and that's where it goes.

Good call on the Nova. Great disc to teach you to throw smooth and flat. I know a lot of people do their field work with drivers trying to gain distance, but go to a field and just throw the Nova for a half hour. If you can get your muscle memory trained to throw that disc flat with a smooth reach-back, release, and follow-through, your drivers will instantly become much easier to place accurately and with more distance. The old adage "Slow is smooth, smooth is long." is oh so true and the Nova is a great trainer disc for smooth form. It's one of the absolute straightest discs in the world with proper form, so any errant throws are well shown and it's slow enough to see what was done wrong.

Nice haul on the plastic, have fun out there!

Cheers.

My buddy is at beginner level and he loves the super stingray, if you like a disc then throw it. Get a valkerie or Viking, really sweet 9 speed discs that are great for noobs.