• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Newbie Looking for Shallow, Stable Putter

maJsty14

Hey all, I settled on a Yeti Pro Aviar. Other highly recommended discs in this thread include the Envy, Bullfrog, Judge, Stud, Maiden, and Atom, for those still searching for the right putter! Thank to everyone that threw some advice my way!

You can read the original post under this spoiler-tag, and see my "ah ha" moment about rim shape on page two.
Hey Gang,

So I'm taking the advice in this post and running with it:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

My current bag is:

- Focus
- Roc
- Cheetah
- Banshee
(and my trusty Cobra, which is the only disc I've aced with, but I'm really mostly sticking to the ones listed above, I just refuse to ever stop carrying that Cobra!)

The Focus was the first putter I started with early last summer, and since then I've extensively field tested and played:
- SS Wizard (feels too much like the Focus)
- Prime Warden (I'm afraid it would just beat to understable right away)
- Prime Judge (IIRC this might be a solid candidate, I liked how it felt in hand)

To a lesser extent I've tried out:
- DX Classic Aviar (felt like throwing a pizza . . . somehow it felt huge as it left my hand)
- DX Aviar P&A (felt pretty uncomfortable . . . hard to get a decent fan grip on for me)
- DX Rhyno (super comfortable, but also super overstable)

The thing is, I've now got three Foci I'm working and I, well, I hate to say it, but I just hate this disc. I hate how it feels in my hand. I hate the release I get from it (probably as much me as anything, I know). The bulbous nose of this and the Wizard just flummoxes my small hands. I have zero confidence with this disc because I've never liked it, but I figured I'd work with it because through fate I already had three. Of all the putters I've tried I think I liked the Judge the best, and I think it would fulfill the requirements of the article, but I no longer have one to confirm.

Other discs recommended in that article include the Challenger and the KC Pro Aviar (I'm going to shy away from Gateway Discs simply because of what I've heard about inconsistent plastics . . . I'm not a solid enough player at this point to deal with that). I've also heard nice things about the Yeti Pro Aviar and the Harp, but have yet to lay hands on either. The thing is, I don't want to keep sinking money into trying out this disc and that disc, and just feeling them up at the store doesn't really give me a sense of how they fly too.

TL;DR - Please, what are some shallow, stable putters you would recommend?

Last edited:
Putter

Try a Bull Frog...very shallow and very stable but straight...has around a 2 glide but it's numbers are 3.1.0.1 I think. It's loke a beat in rhyno. It has a flat top vs the yeti which is puddle

I think you were right on the money with the Judge, if you like the beaded feel then the Judge is a good stable option, and it is not as deep as many of the discs you said were too deep for you.

A buddy of mine putts with a stud and I think that might be worth looking into. I know I could use it, low profile, stable, but not overstable. If I had to switch putters today, the stud would be among the early contenders.

The envy, as mentioned, is another winner disc and fits the criteria.

While that article is extremely helpful and worth exploring, just remember to follow your inclinations. If you jive with a putter it doesn't matter how stable it is or how much it fits garublador's philosophy. That is the most important thing.

Judge is a great putter. Useful through it's life. I find it deep as a thrower, though.

Shallow putters worth considering are the (Infinite) Tomb and the (Westside) Maiden. They're similar to each other; good straight-stable putters. E Envy's will feel similar, but behave a little more OS. A little more US would be the Deputy.

One thing with shallow putters; they're generally faster (speed 3 vs normally 2). I find them to be great throwers, but they need a little more oomf as a putter, IMHO.

But, as others have stated, use what feels good and does the job you want it to!

You want an Envy.

Harps are overstable and deep, so the opposite of what you want.

Envy or Atom, depending on how much fade you like could be your way forward.

I have since moved to Swan 2s unless it's windy, but the Atom was the first putter I ever felt at all comfortable with. They are lower profile, hold a good line and can take come power. Plus the feel is very consistent even between weights.

Envy is same, but more OS.

Hey Gang,

So I'm taking the advice in this post and running with it:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

My current bag is:

- Focus
- Roc
- Cheetah
- Banshee
(and my trusty Cobra, which is the only disc I've aced with, but I'm really mostly sticking to the ones listed above, I just refuse to ever stop carrying that Cobra!)

The Focus was the first putter I started with early last summer, and since then I've extensively field tested and played:
- SS Wizard (feels too much like the Focus)
- Prime Warden (I'm afraid it would just beat to understable right away)
- Prime Judge (IIRC this might be a solid candidate, I liked how it felt in hand)

To a lesser extent I've tried out:
- DX Classic Aviar (felt like throwing a pizza . . . somehow it felt huge as it left my hand)
- DX Aviar P&A (felt pretty uncomfortable . . . hard to get a decent fan grip on for me)
- DX Rhyno (super comfortable, but also super overstable)

The thing is, I've now got three Foci I'm working and I, well, I hate to say it, but I just hate this disc. I hate how it feels in my hand. I hate the release I get from it (probably as much me as anything, I know). The bulbous nose of this and the Wizard just flummoxes my small hands. I have zero confidence with this disc because I've never liked it, but I figured I'd work with it because through fate I already had three. Of all the putters I've tried I think I liked the Judge the best, and I think it would fulfill the requirements of the article, but I no longer have one to confirm.

Other discs recommended in that article include the Challenger and the KC Pro Aviar (I'm going to shy away from Gateway Discs simply because of what I've heard about inconsistent plastics . . . I'm not a solid enough player at this point to deal with that). I've also heard nice things about the Yeti Pro Aviar and the Harp, but have yet to lay hands on either. The thing is, I don't want to keep sinking money into trying out this disc and that disc, and just feeling them up at the store doesn't really give me a sense of how they fly too.

TL;DR - Please, what are some shallow, stable putters you would recommend?

Beat in that Rhyno and you'll be set. Let me know if you want to get rid of those Foci (finally someone else on here used the correct pluralization of Focus), and I might be able to hook you up with a beat Rhyno or 2 as well. Beat Rhynos make great throwers as well, and there isn't much a Champ can't handle in terms of wind, so you can putt and throw the same mold, just in different plastics. KC Aviar is a Rhyno without the thumbtrack in a super firm plastic, JK Aviars are much more flexible, and are the same mold as the KCs.

I agree with the Envy suggestions. If you like the Rhyno's depth and ease of grip, then you should like the Envy. It doesn't have the same thumb track top/flight plate though, few discs do. It's an excellent throwing and approaching putter.

I also agree with the Innova Stud suggestion, especially if you like the Judge. It is shallower but has a bead. I have only tried them in star plastic, but they are also an excellent throwing putter.

Again, I agree with the sentiment that you may have to putt harder or rely on less glide with these lower profile putters. But they are also far more forgiving with throws/drives. I would recommend trying out your Aviars/Wizards every so often too as you keep on playing, to see as you progress if you eventually like the easier loft they give you and the slower flight/control.

(I'm going to shy away from Gateway Discs simply because of what I've heard about inconsistent plastics . . . I'm not a solid enough player at this point to deal with that)

It's not inconsistent. Think of it as being able to get exactly what you want, not just picking from the few options available. Plus, don't forget that the complaint is always about how the disc feels different, and NOT about how it FLIES different.

As for the disc recommendations:
If you don't like the Aviar PnA - that's the shallowest Aviar. Don't bother trying the Aviar Driver, KC Aviar, Big Bead Aviar, Omega, Whale, Challenger, or any of the other putters that are all taller than the Aviar PnA. Basically - the Aviar and its clones are out.

If you truly want shallow discs - I loved shallow putters starting out, so I understand where you're coming from. Here's a brief list of discs that are actually shallow:

Innova Dart
Innova XD
Innova Colt

Discraft Ringer
Discraft Zone (super beefy)

Judge
Pure
Reko
Warden

Gateway Shaman (new run)
Gateway Chief (new run)
Gateway Chief OS (new run) - you could easily pick up all 3 from Gateway Underground in either SureGrip or Diamond. I don't know if you like premium plastic or not.

On the off hand, if you think the Aviar PnA is just slightly too tall - a few Omegas are shorter, but it's hard to find them. You'd be better off just picking a shallow mold and possibly moving on to different putters once you've gotten past the deep feel of things.

I began out with the XD and then the Dart - then went to Aviars after a few years. Haven't looked back. I also love the Cobra - there is nothing wrong with bagging the Cobra still.

MVP ATOM is fairly thin, comfortable, all around can do a LOT and its straight, even with some snap - I like the Medium and Firms (not a soft fan, but that's me)

If stable, thin, comfortable and affordable ----the Atom really does everything. If you're a flight # guy its like 3/3/0/1

oh . . . oh my . . . ah HA!!!

If you don't like the Aviar PnA - that's the shallowest Aviar.

So I just grabbed my Aviar PnA and, actually, I don't think that it's how tall it is, I think that it's the combination of the height AND not having a bead. This led to an interesting observation - I was attributing the height of the Focus and the Wizard to my dislike for those discs, but upon grabbing one in comparison to the PnA it really has a lot more to do with the huge nose on those discs than the height. It puts the bead in a weird spot for me and doesn't feel natural in hand. Perhaps my quest isn't necessarily for a shallow disc, but has more to do with feel of the rim!

The straight slope of the PnA actually puts my finger in a very comfortable spot (perfect spot even, actually feels a lot like my modified fan grip on my beloved Cobra even though that disc has wings), but the lack of bead feels awkward to me on this disc. When I had a Warden I found it very comfortable even though it's also beadless, but I think that worked for me because the disc was a little shallower and the rim felt a touch wider than the PnA.

Hmm! HMM!!!

Now I'm definitely interested in the Yeti, KC, and JK if they are truly just the PnA with a bead. Is this an accurate assessment?

Also, I may end up grabbing an Envy to try as well since so many folks here (and elsewhere) recommend it.

TL;DR: It turns out that my issue may have less to do with disc height and more to do with the combination of height, nose shape, and bead placement ("Uhh . . . duh!"). That said, the Aviar PnA would feel pretty near perfect if it had a bead - are the KC, JK, and/or Yeti just beaded PnA in different feeling pro plastics?

. . .

For anyone else that may be looking into a shallow, stable putter in the future, here are the recommendations in this post by count:
Envy: 4
Bull Frog: 2
Judge: 2
Stud: 2
Maiden: 2
Atom: 2
Tomb: 1
Rhyno: 1 (beat in)
Ringer/Ringer GT: 1

Try a Bull Frog...

Bullfrog or maiden

I also suggest a Bullfrog. I had a hard time finding a decent grip to use Aviars as throwers, so if you also prefer a shallow putter, the Bullfrog is worth a look. It's my main thrower and putter.

A buddy of mine putts with a stud .

The Stud feels a lot like the Bullfrog in the hand, but the top is not as flat. This doesn't bother me, but it does make the feel a bit different. Stud is another good shallow option though.

You want an Envy.

Harps are overstable and deep, so the opposite of what you want.

Harp has the same depth as an Envy: 1.4cm

Truly shallow putters with stability:

Ringer - 1.2cm depth

Maiden, Bull Frog: 1.3cm

Last edited:
So I just grabbed my Aviar PnA and, actually, I don't think that it's how tall it is, I think that it's the combination of the height AND not having a bead. This led to an interesting observation - I was attributing the height of the Focus and the Wizard to my dislike for those discs, but upon grabbing one in comparison to the PnA it really has a lot more to do with the huge nose on those discs than the height. It puts the bead in a weird spot for me and doesn't feel natural in hand. Perhaps my quest isn't necessarily for a shallow disc, but has more to do with feel of the rim!

The straight slope of the PnA actually puts my finger in a very comfortable spot (perfect spot even, actually feels a lot like my modified fan grip on my beloved Cobra even though that disc has wings), but the lack of bead feels awkward to me on this disc. When I had a Warden I found it very comfortable even though it's also beadless, but I think that worked for me because the disc was a little shallower and the rim felt a touch wider than the PnA.

Hmm! HMM!!!

Now I'm definitely interested in the Yeti, KC, and JK if they are truly just the PnA with a bead. Is this an accurate assessment?

Also, I may end up grabbing an Envy to try as well since so many folks here (and elsewhere) recommend it.

TL;DR: It turns out that my issue may have less to do with disc height and more to do with the combination of height, nose shape, and bead placement ("Uhh . . . duh!"). That said, the Aviar PnA would feel pretty near perfect if it had a bead - are the KC, JK, and/or Yeti just beaded PnA in different feeling pro plastics?

. . .

For anyone else that may be looking into a shallow, stable putter in the future, here are the recommendations in this post by count:
Envy: 4
Bull Frog: 2
Judge: 2
Stud: 2
Maiden: 2
Atom: 2
Tomb: 1
Rhyno: 1 (beat in)
Ringer/Ringer GT: 1

Aviar PnA is a different mold.
I think you should look seriously at the Yeti aviars. They are the beaded aviar, however they flatten the top (or even create a sunken top) so they feel more shallow than any other aviar. Excellent putter.

Judge (in anything other than Prime plastic, which is as durable as Play-Doh), Envy, or Yeti are all solid suggestions

Latest posts