• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Newbie Looking for Shallow, Stable Putter

Now I'm definitely interested in the Yeti, KC, and JK if they are truly just the PnA with a bead. Is this an accurate assessment?

No.

https://www.dgputtheads.com/innova-mcpro-and-kc-pro-aviar The McPro is the PnA Aviar mold and the KC/JK/Yeti are the big bead Aviar molds. The Wizard is almost an exact clone of this mold, so if you don't like the Wizard - it's hard to see why you would like the other Aviars (except the Yeti with its puddle top, but it's pretty easy to find that in Wizards too).

You might be more interested in the Omega.

No.

https://www.dgputtheads.com/innova-mcpro-and-kc-pro-aviar The McPro is the PnA Aviar mold and the KC/JK/Yeti are the big bead Aviar molds. The Wizard is almost an exact clone of this mold, so if you don't like the Wizard - it's hard to see why you would like the other Aviars (except the Yeti with its puddle top, but it's pretty easy to find that in Wizards too).

You might be more interested in the Omega.

https://www.dgputtheads.com/millennium-omega-review The Omega is the Small-Bead Aviar mold. It's basically your sweet spot in between the PnA Aviar and the KC Aviar.

pure

its like a mini buzz

You want an Envy.

Harps are overstable and deep, so the opposite of what you want.

I rocked the Pure-Envy combo for a solid 2 years. Both are great and they complement each other.
I de-bagged the Pure due to not being able to find replacements in the correct plastics, not for flight or shape reasons.

Envy has a micro-bead as well. Feels very nice in the hand.

Currently, the Tui is my putting putter. Very low profile, medium dome and beaded. The Envy is still there for upshots and headwind putts.

Comparing profile photos of the Envy, Yeti, Omega, and Wizard and comparing in person the Focus, PnA, and Wizard, here are my observations:

- The Wizard rim is totally round, top and bottom. Being rounded on the bottom is the factor that displaces my index finger positioning on the bead. The Focus is very nearly identical, but the bottom rounding section is just a touch shorter in height than the equivalent round on the Wizard.

- The Yeti and Omega rims are similar in that only the top half of the rim is rounded - the bottom half either tapers straight back to the bead (Omega) or even becomes concave (Yeti). This taper to the bead instead of a convex rounding to the bead is the quality I find comfortable on the PnA.

- The Envy seems like a blend of the Focus and the Omega in that the rim is rounded on the top and bottom, but the bottom rounding is shorter in height than the top and then hits a straight line back to the bead.

I couldn't find a picture of the Focus or PnA profiles online, so I just grabbed those discs and compared against the photos on my monitor. Based on this I'm going to go to my local store this weekend to hold an Envy, a Yeti (and/or KC), and an Omega just to see how the bottom rim taper affects my index finger placement.

My comparison photos:
Wizard:
https://infinitediscs.com/Inf_Uploa...ateway Profile - Wizard Super Stupid Soft.jpg

Omega:
https://infinitediscs.com/Inf_Uploa...9b191d2c5fa9Millennium Profile - Omega AP.jpg

Yeti:
https://infinitediscs.com/Inf_Uploa...92a903a822Innova Profile - Aviar Yeti Pro.jpg

Envy:
https://dgputtheads.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Axiom-Discs-Envy-Profile.jpg

What mold is your Rhyno? San Marino's in dx fly nice and straight with a mild fade. As someone else said, beat in some dx and with champs you can cover a lot of lines with one mold.

Harp has the same depth as an Envy: 1.4cm

Truly shallow putters with stability:

Ringer - 1.2cm depth

Maiden, Bull Frog: 1.3cm

i don't care what the PDGA approval site says. Harps feel deep, and Envies feel shallow.

i don't care what the PDGA approval site says. Harps feel deep, and Envies feel shallow.

PDGA has the Scorpius' at a rim of 2.4 and that is clearly wrong. More like 2.27...whatever 900/1000 of an inch converts to.

Someone whom has both needs to put calipers on them

Low Profile putter that is dead neutral is a #2 Upshot. Innova disc like it is the Colt as that is as close to an XD as Innova makes, XD being nearly the same as a #2 Upshot. The XD+ mold now a full production mold is a Colt in feel so no need to buy that over a Colt.

That is what I call Stable is true Neutral where I live, stable OS is just shy of Stable/Neutral.

While that article is extremely helpful and worth exploring, just remember to follow your inclinations. If you jive with a putter it doesn't matter how stable it is or how much it fits garublador's philosophy. That is the most important thing.

Yes this is most important, why I use Magent mold for over 10 years and recently been trying out a Titanic. I wanted a mold that flies slow like a lid, only lid I really liked the Putt'r has only been in soft plastic, since the first run a and only run right after a fi that also had some Pro D made as well, soft plastic does not work for a lid one is putting with for most people. I would have tried the lid like disc, the Sonic When it came out but the discs were not durable and I had found the Magent that flies like a Lid. Love the grove, reason I could use the Hydra if I had to as the R-Pro Plastic for the Hydra is stiffer then when used for other putters besides most of the Whaoo.

Also if a Putter is too deep try a midrange as one of my Uncles uses a Spider in DX for a putting putter 2 of them and a flatter Star for a Driving putter. The putter shaped midrange discs can work as a putter, I use a Shark in Star or a beat in Pro for a windy day putter.

Last edited:
The Rhyno has the same bottom as the Aviar-X (KC, JK, Yeti) mold, so that is what they feel like. I've got a pair of JKs from my in between session with them instead of Rhynos. Rhyno = Aviar-X mold with a ThumbTrack.

The Rhyno has the same bottom as the Aviar-X (KC, JK, Yeti) mold, so that is what they feel like. I've got a pair of JKs from my in between session with them instead of Rhynos. Rhyno = Aviar-X mold with a ThumbTrack.

Very interesting! I'm heading up to the local shop today to handle a few discs, but if I end up going with the Aviar-X mold I may have to take you up on your offer to trade some Foci for some Rhynos.

I imagine the thumb track kills some of the glide of the mold, but I wonder what causes the added stability? If it were the track wouldn't the puddle top Yeti be more stable than the KC and JK instead of less?

Yes the rhyno and aviar-x share the same bottom piece but saying they feel the same is a little misleading. Aviar-x mold has a spacer and feels significantly deeper than rhynos. This is even further exaggerated because of the birdie top piece which doesn't have the high shoulder ov the aviar top.

You must have a weird Harp. I bag both and they feel about the same to me.

Yes the rhyno and aviar-x share the same bottom piece but saying they feel the same is a little misleading. Aviar-x mold has a spacer and feels significantly deeper than rhynos. This is even further exaggerated because of the birdie top piece which doesn't have the high shoulder ov the aviar top.

They feel almsot exactly the same to me, except for the ThumbTrac, but apparently I'm the only one. It might also be that my JKs sunk in a bit, but everyone feels the same thing differently.

The Winner Is . . .

So, after grabbing a bunch of discs at the shop, the Yeti Pro Aviar is the winner. The feel is amazing, the rim shape is perfect, and the puddle top keeps it from feeling too deep (as did the KC Pro and the surprisingly domey Envy). With bated breath I took it out to the course . . .

You know, with all of the other putters I've tried I just figured I was the problem, and that I would learn to love the disc in time. The Yeti feels perfect in my hand, flew exactly how I anticipated on EVERY THROW - drive or putt, and is overall just a great disc. Heck, I just might have a new favorite disc. :thmbup:

One thing I noticed at the shop is that the blue plastic I ended up with felt a little chalkier than the yellow and red plastics they had, and some discs were less puddle-topped than others. Seems like it is definitely the sort of disc you want to feel in person as opposed to buy online.

ILUVSMGS18, I'm definitely up for trading some Foci for some Rhynos if you're still interested. Comparing Rhynos to the Yeti at the shop the rim is very nearly identical, and the shallower profile of the Rhyno feels great in the hand - I'd love to experiment with them as a potentially more consistently manufactured mold.