• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night Golf

chalos13

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So I'm trying hard to beat the heat and encourage friends to play DG with me, but the Texas heat is keeping some from joining me. Add to that there's a Glow event coming up in my area, and I'm looking for people's experience with night golf. I've got a driver and mid from the old BlackJax discs with lights built in and I love them for a night game, but my friends need something and I can't find BlackJax discs anymore. Please share your experiences with
Glow Plastic:
does is hold the glow long, what companies glow plastic is best, etc
Lights:
There's one on discnation that seems very light, what kind of tape do you use and how well does it hold?
I've even thought of getting the Discbeeper listed on the other forum. Having the BlackJax discs I've never used any of this stuff, so tell me what works and what to avoid.

I play weekly disc golf club bag tag match. Glow plastic discs tends to not glow well or long enough when you have 10+ people throwing. I used LEDs and flat 3V batteries for awhile but eventually I settled on using glow in the dark duct tape. You can find is a Micheals Arts & Crafts or I think Lowes and Home Deopt have it. It glows for a long time. On champion plastic I put it on the top, for star and DX I put one strip on the top and bottom. A bright LED flashlight will charge it up in 15-30 seconds. You can follow the disc with the tape on if you put it on both sides. The only thing LED light have on this is they are easier to see the flight sometimes. A lot of people have switched over to the tape after they have seen it.

If you use LEDs use the clear packing tape and clean your disc well before applying.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=3v led&sprefix=3v+led,aps&rh=i:aps,k:3v led

These. Cheap as hell and just buy bulk 3V watch batteries. Clear packing tape, and you are good to go!

^^^Best and cheapest way to enjoy night golf IMO^^^
Started a night doubles league at Sun Valley GC in San Diego. It has been such a fun time and keep attracting a bigger crowd. The best glow discs on the market are made by Vibram. They glow with more intensity and duration than any other discs I have witnessed. You may be able to find some in the Marketplace section of the forums.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=3v led&sprefix=3v+led,aps&rh=i:aps,k:3v led

These. Cheap as hell and just buy bulk 3V watch batteries. Clear packing tape, and you are good to go!

Cheap, yes, but you cannot turn them off...additionally if you lose connection you lose your disc. The discnation lights are the way to go, you can turn them on and off. Ive ran a glow league every week (except like 20) for over 4 years, we've tried everything and this is the best way I've found.

two and a half-ish schools of night golf:

LED's: I like the kind that has a three way switch (fast blink, slow blink, on & off) Several online places carry them, marshall street (I think), and you can get bulk from extreme glow http://www.extremeglow.com/store/c/27-LED-Products-for-Night-Golf-Frisbee-Golf.aspx

Best tape to use is clear Duct tape which you can find in the HVAC section at your local HomeDepot-like store.
bad side of leds is the batteries can die, the tape can still come off, and you gotta have tape and the lights (duh i know)

Glow discs: some glow better than others, but the best way is to use a LED UV flashlight, I use this one http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER...e=UTF8&qid=1405450688&sr=8-73&keywords=uv+led and it's great. small durable and powerful.

Similarly, I have seen glow tape being used more and more. if you can get some of the military grade it is supposed to be super awesome. again the LED UV light helps. Its a nice combo of both methods.

Down side of the glow method is it works best with less light, so when playing in a big group or on a course with a lot of light pollution, you can run into problems seeing your disc.

Another trick I've seen is to have one guy in the group use a good normal LED flashlight to light up the basket while everyone putts. It helps with depth perception and you don't really need to worry bout your night vision at that time.

That clear duct tape is the best tape, IMO. The packing tape works well, but add a little moisture and it will come off. I also use the pin type LED's for my drivers and mids. Two LED's and a battery on each disc. I use either electrical tape or even a small strip of the clear duct tape to secure the LED's to the batt, then tape that assembly onto the bottom of the disc. Works like a champ. Never have one go dark completely, either. Maybe one side, but never both.

On putters I use the glow tape. I should have won a night tournament a year ago.....had I made my putts. I was putting low every time practically. Weighed my LEDs on the disc and my putter was about 180g!:wall::doh: The LED/batt added 5g to the disc. No wonder I was putting badly. So, now the tape is the only thing I use on my putters....and my putting can no longer be blamed on a heavier than normal putter. :D

Flat lights (you can get them much cheaper than most disc golf vendors sell them), glow tape and clear duct tape (both available for about $6/ea.) FTW.

ok I'm going to get glow tape first and try it out, seems like that would have the least impact on the flight of the disc. any specific brand that is best?

I put packing tape in an X over the flight light and have never had it fall off. Buddy of mine has lost a couple of flight lights by using just one piece.

Get glow duct tape. You can get it at some Wall-Marts, not sure about the one in Tyler though. I'm also in Texas, and I've tried several different options. Glow discs don't glow enough, lights have a tendency to short out when they hit something. Glow tape glows so much brighter than glow discs. Invest in a UV flashlight too, it's well worth it. I glow tape all around the rim of my disc and small patches on the tops, charge up my disc with the UV light before each hole and I'm good to go. The flight seems completely unaffected by the tape, and it has the bonus of protecting my disc a little more from the invisible trees I might smash them in to. I have never had a problem finding a glow taped disc in the night though, but I've had problems with everything else, including an LED that was still lit, but hidden by overgrowth.

VIBRAM discs glow really well. When I play night golf, I don't even light up the whole disc, because it's to bright!

I only have to charge my Super Glow Wizards every few holes. As far as my other glows. I charge them right before I throw them.

IMAG3031_zpsba683b8f.jpg

A buddy of mine made a bag similar to this one. LEDs on 2 sides, with aluminum sides to help reflect the light. Where did you get the lights for yours? Did you build the walls and lights yourself or is that a kit you bought? I have a Fade crunchbox also, I wouldn't mind putting something like this together for it.

I built this bag from scratch. I purchased the LED's in a bulk roll (water proof fish aquarium lights) and cut them to length and soldered them all together. I had the clear plexiglass laying around. I am using a Lipo battery that last 6 hrs. It is a bit overkill. But it is sweet... Post a picture of you friends bag.

I built this bag from scratch. I purchased the LED's in a bulk roll (water proof fish aquarium lights) and cut them to length and soldered them all together. I had the clear plexiglass laying around. I am using a Lipo battery that last 6 hrs. It is a bit overkill. But it is sweet... Post a picture of you friends bag.

I did pretty much the same thing, the first turned out WAY too bright..

IMG_1368.JPG

So I built a new one with a single panel, and use some corrugated plastic to keep it toned down enough that it doesn't hurt to look near the bag.

IMG_1377.JPG

That said, there's too much light pollution here for the glow disks to work well enough :\

All awesome ideas. Trying to figure something out myself. Thinking it might actually be nice weather to play at night here.

Latest posts