• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

and thanks as well yawp! have seen that one a long time ago but that was like the only one i seen and it looked pretty difficult so yeah, never know till you try =).

another question for me is WHAT THE HELL is everyone saying about the black dye and the fushia dye and does this dye still work of what the heck is going on with the RIT powder?

Also what is the best utensil to use to dye in, seen like those foil pans and stovetop pans but was thinking of using a larger pot like you would for spaghetti.

I use a 10" Pyrex pie pan that I bought at thrift store for $2 to dye in.. absolutely perfect for face down flight plate dyes.. My gradient setup is the last post in that thread, spent only a few bucks there, my marbling is a large plate from thrift store.. my tie dye.. same thing, fan from thrift stoer.. I might have $40 in all my equipment.. I use either tonic bottles (When I still drank vodka tonics) or gatorade bottles to store my extra dye in.. I don't really do full dips, but I guess I could use either the pie pan or gradient tank. I use the microwave for my inside dyes.. Hope that helps on what I use. If anyone see's something I should have that I am missing.. feel free to let me know.

I just use a large frying pan that a disc will fit in. Don't use one with a teflon coating though. especially if you change colors the teflon absorbs some of the dye and will release it into the next color. I actually have 2 one for dark colors one for light. I bought both at a thrift store for cheap.

haha thanks you guys that helps a lot. have watched most of those videos and always been interested and doesn't seem crazy hard. The hardest part seems to be finding your way around wal-mart for the damn supplies. Where do you get the vinyl/contact paper as well? you guys are helping me a lot and really appreciate it =)

vinyl is the tough part, I got lucky and have a friend with the sign making stuff so I just have him do my designs, lots quicker than me struggling with AI. there is a thread here for free 3M, and I've seen OraCal online for around $30 for24' x 10yards, that's about 60 discs (I think that was what it ran). you might be able to get some scraps to practice on from your local sign shop, or make friends with someone who works there, take them discing, always good to have an "in" with a good vinyl guy. I've never used contact paper.. been considering using it for "cold" dyes like marbling or gradient where the heat isn't going to loosen the adhesive or "force" bleeds.

I buy my vinyl locally from a sign supply store. I have also bought it from a vinyl sign shop. But they were kinda pricey. I used contact paper from wal-mart originally and it worked. Vinyl is just better. Easier to cut and typically doesn't bleed as bad.

As for the dye. It's possible there are some problems with the dye. Most of the problems I've heard of are with the liquid black. Or liquids in general. I have used a lot of liquids and I have used a lot of powders. I've only had problem with the most recent black I bought. I will probably go back to using mostly powder as I've never had problems with that. I think (and hope) it's just a random temporary problem. Most dyers haven't had any problems. Once you find a batch that works, save it. I use 1 quart canning bottles and mix 1 package to 1 quart water. then just add more water as it evaporates away.

Ok so I know absolutley nothing about dying discs and just had some questions about it as I am wanting to get some of my dics dyed. Any plastics better than others? Any disc colors work better than others? How detailed a pic can you put on? Any colors you cant do/mix? Any other info would be awesome. I have an echo star green wraith and a esp orange/red crush that I would like to get dyed, if possible, with a couple of these pics.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1521&pictureid=14290
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1521&pictureid=14289
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1521&pictureid=14288

I am getting ready to dye a soft white Ion. Will it take dye well? Will it fuzz/fade quickly? If so, should I do a less detailed/simpler design?

I heard softs blur a lot and quite quickly, so yea, pick something that will look good with faded lines.

May just have to go with marbling instead then...If only I could get the shaving cream method to turn out.

I used vinyl for the first time yesterday. It soaked up the garnet and lightly dyed what should have been white. Is this common? The only thing I could think of is that I should use colder temp. What temp should I be at with the vinyl? It only did it with the garnet not the black. Weird.

yup, too hot; aim for 120 degrees, or be able to touch the pot with only mild discomfort for a few sec. Nothing wrong with cooler temps, it'll just take a little longer.

Shading with same color

I'm trying to learn how to do shading with dip times, can anyone help on how long to dip for different effects. From light to dark and medium colors. I just did this one and tried to get different red tones. 30 minutes on dark red and then did two more dips one at 5 minutes and one at 2. Just didn't get the definition I was looking for any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9392.jpg
    IMG_9392.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 31
wheres a good place to get vinyl?

I get mine from US Cutter. I buy 651 Orracle for about $20 plus $10 for shipping for a roll of 24" by 10 yards.

how much did they pay you to say that? I KID I KID! :popcorn: