• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

I keep thinking I'll get a 50yrd roll so I won't have to worry for a year or 2.. 50yards is about 300 discs..@24" wide

I keep thinking I'll get a 50yrd roll so I won't have to worry for a year or 2.. 50yards is about 300 discs..@24" wide

careful, it has a some kind of a limited shelf life (you can check specs on the oracal website)

I'm trying to learn how to do shading with dip times, can anyone help on how long to dip for different effects. From light to dark and medium colors. I just did this one and tried to get different red tones. 30 minutes on dark red and then did two more dips one at 5 minutes and one at 2. Just didn't get the definition I was looking for any help would be appreciated.

First off, I thought the dragon came out great.
It just takes some practice, and it helps to diligently check the color of the initial dark shade every minute or two while in the dip. Then you'll have an idea how long to go to get the next shades.

First off, I thought the dragon came out great.
It just takes some practice, and it helps to diligently check the color of the initial dark shade every minute or two while in the dip. Then you'll have an idea how long to go to get the next shades.

Thanks I guess I'll just keep trying different times. Going to do the dragon again for me the first was for someone else.

I'm trying to learn how to do shading with dip times, can anyone help on how long to dip for different effects. From light to dark and medium colors. I just did this one and tried to get different red tones. 30 minutes on dark red and then did two more dips one at 5 minutes and one at 2. Just didn't get the definition I was looking for any help would be appreciated.

I think it looks great. Maybe you'd see more definition on a white disc?

careful, it has a some kind of a limited shelf life (you can check specs on the oracal website)

I think it's a 2 year adhesive life or something, but don't hold me to it.

With the bigger rolls, is it better to cut it down into sheets for storage or safer to leave it on the roll until needed?

depends on what torrent sites you are a member of... j/k.. kinda
my gf says GIMP.. http://www.gimp.org/
I use AI and photoshop, she says GIMP is very good, free and can do a lot of photoshop stuff

GIMP is a great program and free, and can cover most of your image editing needs.
Inkscape is a free and great vector editing program, and can slightly more easily imo create a stencil type version of your image if you're not looking for just a grayscale.

where can i get the vinyl/contact paper and how much is it? seen the post about the free stuff from 3M but can you get some from wal-mart or what not. thank you for helping me.

what about getting the image, like what programs can you use to get an image and transfer it to how you want it and print it, seriously the people who are helping, it's more than appreciated.

have photoshop

How long can I leave vinyl on a disc before I dye it? I am on call 24/7 and would hate to get a stencil cut and on a disc and have it sit there for a few days and screw a dye up.

Is there a known time limit on when the vinyl will let go enough to have negative effects on the dye?

How long can I leave vinyl on a disc before I dye it? I am on call 24/7 and would hate to get a stencil cut and on a disc and have it sit there for a few days and screw a dye up.

Is there a known time limit on when the vinyl will let go enough to have negative effects on the dye?

My first dye I left on for two days and it turned out just fine.... not sure if it is always the same

I am dyeing a cryZtal Nuke and was wanting to dye the bottom rim so when looking through the disc you could see the dyed rim. I believe I may have seen this on a cryZtal disc somewhere in the Dye a Day thread before. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to only dye the bottom rim?

Last edited: