• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Has anyone tried to Dye Discraft X plastic? I just bought my wisfe a 156g White Buzzz I was thinking of trying to throw some dye at it.

Has anyone tried to Dye Discraft X plastic? I just bought my wisfe a 156g White Buzzz I was thinking of trying to throw some dye at it.

It might take a faded dye, but not much more than that. Sorry, bud.

It'd better than Discraft Pro-D, but still not a very dye friendly blend. It will take a bit but requires more time and a heavier dye->delusion blend or acetone. Still, not going to take a ton...

It might take a faded dye, but not much more than that. Sorry, bud.

It'd better than Discraft Pro-D, but still not a very dye friendly blend. It will take a bit but requires more time and a heavier dye->delusion blend or acetone. Still, not going to take a ton...

Ya that's kind of what I though. Thanks for the reply.

so I just did my first dye using idye poly I mixed a small amount of the powder with straight acetone to "paint" the color on my disc. I also used contact paper for my stencil. Then using a foam brush, brushed on the color. The acetone ate some of the sticky stuff on the contact paper and bled color kinda badly.
What can I do to not get any bleed through? Should I use vinyl sign material? Or is there a mixture ratio that I could use?
The acetone/dye mixture gave me the super bright color I was looking for!

so I just did my first dye using idye poly I mixed a small amount of the powder with straight acetone to "paint" the color on my disc. I also used contact paper for my stencil. Then using a foam brush, brushed on the color. The acetone ate some of the sticky stuff on the contact paper and bled color kinda badly.
What can I do to not get any bleed through? Should I use vinyl sign material? Or is there a mixture ratio that I could use?
The acetone/dye mixture gave me the super bright color I was looking for!

Vinyl will always be your best bet. Contact paper is unreliable at best. A lot of people prefer Oracal 631 or Oracal 651. However, most hobby/craft stores sell Cricut that is fairly cheap for a starter roll to try out and readily available.

Cheers and have fun!

Thanks so much for your help. Went and picked up circuit vinyl. Also got some printable vinyl. Gonna try that out as well!
Thanks again Reniger!!!

Just so you know, you can manually feed the cheap-o white Cricut vinyl into a laserjet printer and it makes hand cutting a hell of a lot easier. No need for special "printable" vinyl.

Has anyone tried fabric markers? I was in Joanne's the other day looking at these and figured they must be dye based. A quick google search indicates that there are some out there that are approved for use on polyester.

I would much rather doodle on a disc freehand than fuss with a stencil and dye.

If it works, what a cool idea! Can't you do that with sharpies though?

If it works, what a cool idea! Can't you do that with sharpies though?

The trick is, Sharpies and the like are ink-based, so they wear off pretty quickly. I hypothesize that polyester-specific fabric markers are dye based and would therefore not wear off.

Essentially what I'm looking for is iDye Poly in marker form. Might have to just give it a try.

I also understand that there are some graffiti type markers than can be refilled with ink - I wonder if these would work as well with dye...?

Semi update on the marker dye front - I did some digging in a thread on here and it seems someone else tried filling the empty craft markers with dye and it didn't work.

There's a brand of worm dye manufacturer called Spike It that makes a dye marker, apparently they work fine. A google search found only a few colors available in an unscented option, no black, which was a bummer.

Does anyone use a specific vector image site (preferably free) to download images to then be cut by a vinyl printer?

Bleaching/ WhiteWashing a disc

So I have a Star plastic disc that is solid black. It's a real pain to find if I lose sight of it and was wondering if there is any way to lighten the color of a disc. I imagine that solid black would be difficult to do this with.

Semi update on the marker dye front - I did some digging in a thread on here and it seems someone else tried filling the empty craft markers with dye and it didn't work.

There's a brand of worm dye manufacturer called Spike It that makes a dye marker, apparently they work fine. A google search found only a few colors available in an unscented option, no black, which was a bummer.

You could mix up the I dye poly with either water/acetone mixture or uncolored washing detergent. Using a bamboo pen, like Chinese ink painting, to apply the dye.

I have used this method with a brush and it works. The bamboo pen would be more like using a sharpie.

Here is how it is done with ink, detergent and dye has about the same thickness. Add water if too thick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcbMcwQrV8E