• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Octane

I'm think'n this one is more Katana ish, and the nitro is the Vulcan. Its taller with the same depth so im guessing it has some orbital-like dome.

I think with high speed drivers, it's all about the wing height and dome, which the PDGA specs can't tell you. The rim configuration tells you how sharp it is, which does have some affect, but I'm guessing all the MVP high speed drivers will have a similar sharpness with different wing heights. I'm looking forward to trying out whatever the Destroyer and Tern-like versions of these are when they are released.

I have trouble gripping max speed drivers. So I doubt I will get any of this class, unless I pick up one of the semi-OS ones for FH shots.

I think with high speed drivers, it's all about the wing height and dome, which the PDGA specs can't tell you. The rim configuration tells you how sharp it is, which does have some affect, but I'm guessing all the MVP high speed drivers will have a similar sharpness with different wing heights. I'm looking forward to trying out whatever the Destroyer and Tern-like versions of these are when they are released.

These are a notch faster to be sure, closer to Ape, Boss, Katana, Vulcan.

These are a notch faster to be sure, closer to Ape, Boss, Katana, Vulcan.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the Ape or Vulcan, but the Boss and Katana are 2.5 cm rims. If these are 2.3 cm, then they'll be slower than that. Also, someone measured a whole bunch of Star Destroyers with calipers a while back and they were all right around 2.3 rather than the 2.2 in the PDGA specs, so I think these should be close.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the Ape or Vulcan, but the Boss and Katana are 2.5 cm rims. If these are 2.3 cm, then they'll be slower than that. Also, someone measured a whole bunch of Star Destroyers with calipers a while back and they were all right around 2.3 rather than the 2.2 in the PDGA specs, so I think these should be close.

Maybe PDGA measured these wrong then because both are 2.4, plus inside diameter of 16.3. One measured 21.2, other 21.1 so 2.4 x 2 = 4.8 taken from 21.1 equals 16.3.

Inside diameter of Vulcan, Boss and Ape and Katana all 16.2-3.

They always round up the MVP discs, the 21.5mm rim class all say 2.2cm. Maybe MVP went all they way to 24mm this time...

They always round up the MVP discs, the 21.5mm rim class all say 2.2cm. Maybe MVP went all they way to 24mm this time...

They do round to the nearest mm, yep. Just weird that both came in measured 16.3 if they were both actually 2.3 instead of 2.4. Anyhoo, not a huge difference but can be for some throwers. I know that going from a Katana to a Cannon feels pretty awkward for me. Cannon is probably just slightly bigger.

I just put 23mm on the nitro thread cause they usually step up by 1.5mm, then I noticed the 2.4. That's why I didn't put it on this thread cause I wasn't sure what the deal is...

If only someone could come in and shine some light... get off FB Zam...:D

Hmmm, curiosity is peaked. I'm digging my Phases so count me in if its that good.

They usually release the semi US disc first, so I doubt either of these two are the beef you're looking for moose. But I guess its possible they were just approved before the others...

It's from the 23mm class, Nitro stable-os and Octane stable-us. Like Chad said in the Q&A video the gap isn't as wide between these two as it is with Photon/Wave.

They do round to the nearest mm, yep. Just weird that both came in measured 16.3 if they were both actually 2.3 instead of 2.4. Anyhoo, not a huge difference but can be for some throwers. I know that going from a Katana to a Cannon feels pretty awkward for me. Cannon is probably just slightly bigger.

PDGA measurements are often slightly inaccurate. If MVP says it's the 23mm class then I believe it's 2.3 cm not 2.4. Also, we don't know what plastic the destroyer was submitted in. If it was DX then more shrinkage could have made it 2.2cm where star is 2.3. I think the PDGA is generally more concerned that the disc is within legal specs than with getting really precise measurements.

PDGA measurements are often slightly inaccurate. If MVP says it's the 23mm class then I believe it's 2.3 cm not 2.4. Also, we don't know what plastic the destroyer was submitted in. If it was DX then more shrinkage could have made it 2.2cm where star is 2.3. I think the PDGA is generally more concerned that the disc is within legal specs than with getting really precise measurements.

Yeah I know, I posted that originally. I do find it strange though that they could miss measure 4 times in a row considering the 4 different specs which do add up. 2.4, 2.4, 16.3, 16.3 also 21.2 and 21.1 respectively.

Could MVP make a small mistake in the design and production process? Injection molding does seem to vary quite a bit with inconsistency.

http://www.pdga.com/files/PDGATechStandards_5-14-14.pdf

Last edited:
They usually release the semi US disc first, so I doubt either of these two are the beef you're looking for moose. But I guess its possible they were just approved before the others...

I think the Nitro might be more what I want, yes.

Latest posts